Mandarin goby

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just say one of those guys at petco, did a quick iphone search, which told me I could keep him in a 75 if he ate brine shrimp. I asked the guy at petco what they are fed, he said brine shrimp and that the gobies ate it fine. So I put him in my tank, pretty cool lokking fish, he found a nice hiding spot, and at feeding time, he saw the shrimp and peeked out, but he didnt eat. Probably jusr his first day in the tank, but I have plenty of copeopods in there JIC the petco guy didnt know what he was talking about (pretty likely). Very nice looking fish though, I wonder if anyone had any experience with them? I will post pics when he is out of hiding.

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can see Copepods on your glass or in your rocks he'll be fine rule #1 if you by from Petco do your own research and try to get him eating mysis not brine more nutrition in mysis Petco feeds brine because it's cheap and that's all their managers will let them feed FWIW

ReefDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is established and you have a good copepod population the mandarin should be good.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mandarin resides in a 30 gallon mixed reef, has been in there for a little over a year. Not sure if he eats prepared foods as I pretty much never feed the tank. Does keep the pod and flatworm population pretty minimized though :bigsmile:

Basically these guys are incredibly easy to keep with a caveat: make sure they're not being out-competed for their natural food supply. If you have other fish that'll gobble up the 'pods (other gobies, damsels, wrasses, small angels, etc) then it's real important to make sure he gets fed. Can be accomplished by putting a small glass jar (ideally that only he fits into) at the bottom of the tank with some frozen or pellets, or by putting a foam block somewhere in the tank and occasionally feeding it (a foam block like the sponge in an aquaclear is a great housing for 'pods-giving it some food occasionally feeds the pods and ensure the mandarin dragonet (not actually a goby) has a food supply, and you can just hide the foam in the back area of your tank behind the rockwork.)

Enjoy him! favorite fish out there for me.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other fush in the tank are my snowflake occeys, and a fuerfish gobie that I havent seen for about two weeks (dead???), and I have never seen my clowns eating pods. I have 50 pounds of lr, and the tank is six months old. He is a pretty cool looking fish, very interesting swimming pattern.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems interested in the flakes to, he peeks out whenever I put some food in the tank. Hopefully I can get him onto flake, but he is still terrified of me.

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not an easy fish to keep, however not impossible. Like everyone said, keeping your natural pod population high, and competition for that food low, is key to long term success. My LFS trained mine onto mysis and Spectrum pellets before they sold it to me so all the hard work was done.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
47ea9a4b-c816-6f38.jpg

47ea9a4b-c82d-3419.jpg

47ea9a4b-c85c-8eaa.jpg

Its hard to get any good shots with him hiding in the back and using a phone, but here they are.

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They absolutely have my vote for coolest fish in the ocean. The only fish I have more colorful than my chalice collection :bigsmile:

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, I pretty much had to buy him when I saw him at petco. It would have been nice to buy the female with him, but I here breeding them is nearly impossible.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IF you had the pod population or they were eating prepared foods I think a pair is sweet even if you are not planning on raising the fry. From what i have read They pretty much mate every nite and do a dance prior to the mating that is cool. Plus the eggs they release would be extra food for other tank inhabitants. Free food!! ;).

I am not suggesting everyone try to do this as they are a challenge, but just saying if you have the means and are up for it...

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If ORA can do it, it can't be far off for the hobbiest

Us hobbiest can do anything...I have a set up Im working on for breeding manderians...getting them to bread is simple,raising the fry is the hard part!!!!

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Us hobbiest can do anything...I have a set up Im working on for breeding manderians...getting them to bread is simple,raising the fry is the hard part!!!!

Is this in addition to the monochromatic cube? You my friend, are a busy man :xd:

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I have them in a 125,they eat shaved mysis,they never come out though,they dont get along with my PBT.

I think if I could get them into a circle tank,atleast 24" inches tall with a small filter and simple water movement,with an egg collection system,they would spwn and have better luck that way,but Im not sure,Im not even sure how to feed them!Id love to try it though!

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Love pbt's. Gorgeous. I have a 45 cube and won't be ready for a Mandy for a year, so plenty of time to research.

Have you read the write ups on MOFIB? I'm sure you have. Great information if not.

If you move be sure to start a thread to document!

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a year? I heard 2 years, my tank is only six months, good thing I have a giant sump and skimmer, I would hope that helps.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes,I have seen Witt's post on MOFIB,I havnt spoken with Witt,but I have read all the post and thats been the extent of my research,haha!

Back