emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is a beautiful spotted mandarin.

CJ

Thanks! I love this fish. She reminds me of a humming bird the way she flitterss around picking at the rocks.How can you tell it is a female?

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya he was one of those but I do know some of the staff and they know what they are talking about. He just said we feed them brine, I asked if he ate it, of course the answer was yes, but I wanted to try keeping this fish even though he was probably lying.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about the pods. What do they look like on the glass? I have all these white dots with a bunch of tendrils that frequebtly appear all over the glass. They are about 1/4 to 1/2 mm accross not including the legs. Are these pods?

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about the pods. What do they look like on the glass? I have all these white dots with a bunch of tendrils that frequebtly appear all over the glass. They are about 1/4 to 1/2 mm accross not including the legs. Are these pods?

Pods look to me kind of like what I used to call roly poly or doodle bugs. Google it.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that they are pods, Ive seen my clownfish occasionally swallow one or two, I just assumed that they were clearing the tank for eggs.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news, this morning I woke up and the mandarin was skimming the surface. I turned off the pumps and threw him some food. He went to the bathroom and then ate flakes and dry brine chunks and bloodworms, you name it. I dont have any pics yet bc I woke up late, but they will be coming soon. Im going to buy pellets in the near future but Im going to wait for when I get a 90 gallon.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news, this morning I woke up and the mandarin was skimming the surface. I turned off the pumps and threw him some food. He went to the bathroom and then ate flakes and dry brine chunks and bloodworms, you name it. I dont have any pics yet bc I woke up late, but they will be coming soon. Im going to buy pellets in the near future but Im going to wait for when I get a 90 gallon.

Good stuff. It would probably be a good idea to move from dried brine to frozen mysis as soon as you can. It would be even better to get some more variety. Mine is starting to really like Rod's food.

CJ

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mandarins do eat pods, you are very lucky to have one that eats reg fish food wether its flake or mysis or brine. They are very picky eaters.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, Iam very surprised, it happened so suddenly, he is usaully in hiding as soon as I turn of the lights, but he ate and stayed at the surface instead today, maybe he ran out of pods? Anyways Im very excited about it, hopefully I can feed him when he is in a 90 gallon, I might have build him a mandarin diner or something similar when I get a blue tang.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a little update: the mandarin is now in my 90 gallon and still eating flake. He still hides a little during the day, but he moves towards the front of the tank to coat himself in a mucus secretion (natural camoflouge similar to a parrot fish's) and sleep. He is getting along fine with a foxface and four clownfish.
47ea9a4b-6dbc-d2a1.jpg

I will get a pic of the mandarin when he comes out of hiding to eat.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really surprised me the first time I saw mine asleep. I thought it had died. Apparently, they get very pale when they sleep to better blend in with the sand.

CJ

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing in particular, but I tried to get as much brine in front of him as possible. He still eats pods more than flakes, but whenever he gets hungry hell eat some prepared food.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed a dent in your pod population or is it pretty balanced? Do you think you will have to boost the population at all?

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, my pod population is fine, whenever he runs out he eats flake until the supply replenishes.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rockfish-very nice. When did you get yours? I had read on some other forums that results were still a bit mixed, but that was from the initial offering.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back