Mandarin goby

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of mine as well. I did read a REALLY long thread on RC that people were posting on their experience from the first release of ORA's mandys. Very mixed success with the CB staying on pellet or prepared food.

Witts log made it seem almost easy ;).

par

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if he is only eating pods, you are probably going to have to occasionally restock your pod population.. Just letting you know. They are constant hunters

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of mine as well. I did read a REALLY long thread on RC that people were posting on their experience from the first release of ORA's mandys. Very mixed success with the CB staying on pellet or prepared food.

Witts log made it seem almost easy ;).

Anything Witt does he makes look easy,Im not sure how the man does it,but he does.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any good ways to get this guy out of hiding? I really want to see this fish, especially with colors like that.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really help you there. What are his tank mates? Have you only had him a day or two? If so I would be patient and try not to do anything that will scare him. Do you have a good idea of your pod population?

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other fish are my snowflakes, and they hardley glanced at him. My pod population is unknown, I just added most of my lr as dr about 3 weeks ago.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other fish are my snowflakes, and they hardley glanced at him. My pod population is unknown, I just added most of my lr as dr about 3 weeks ago.

err....the rock was dry rock? If so it's not going to have many, if any, pods on it. Did you seed with established rock? If not get some going ASAP or there won't be any pods for him to be eating- and definitley think of getting some sort of pod farm up and running asap if he doesn't eat frozen/prepared foods.

And yes, clowns, like all damselfish, are unabashedly hungry guys and will munch on anything and everything including pods.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the rock is seeded, I see coraline sprouting up all over between nuisance algae. And I havent seen them eating pods, just picking at the side of the tank, as they are male and female.

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the rock is seeded, I see coraline sprouting up all over between nuisance algae. And I havent seen them eating pods, just picking at the side of the tank, as they are male and female.

How much of the rock was live, and how much dry? A decent rule of thumb for a mandarin without support feeding is 50# of Live rock per mandarin (at least that's why I've used.) IMO, it takes well beyond a year or two for dry rock to become truly live rock with seeding.
copepods love to munch on film algae, so if the clowns are picking at the sides of the tank, very likely that's what they're pegging. Try and find a reefer in your local area who has a refugium running without any fish in it, and you'll see just HOW many pods there would otherwise be if the clowns and mandarin weren't picking them off.

Joe Knows Reefs

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a pair in a well established 75g with no other competitors (wrasses, angels etc) which was seeded w/ pods regularly before the addition of the mandarins and even re-seeded 2x weekly. They lasted about 2 months. Since their demise (about 2 months ago) I can now see pods on the glass and rocks again. A hard fish to keep - I definitely recommend a pod farm along with some sort of pod refuge in the tank for success - and even then it is questionable

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I happen to have a refugium with no fish, but no lr. Ill be sure to take a look. And I did seed the lr with a 4 month old piece that I bought live.

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I just saw him grab a shrimp, I got some back where he was and he has been moving around like crazy. Its hard to see what he is doing, he hides when he sees me. But I could see him grab one of them and suck it in.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what people are trying to say is that in order to sustain a mandarin that is not eating prepared or frozen food you will need about 50lbs of live rock that has been free of predation and allowed to mature for at least a year as well as a refugium that also has a healthy pod population. It is not just having a refugium that is the key, it is having one with a pod population. And that 40lbs of dry rock seeded with 10lbs of live rock regardless of how well established that 10lbs was does not come close to 50lbs of established rock that has healthy pod populations.

So it sounds like your system will not be able to sustain your new buddy without supplemental feedings.

This is not impossible, but from what I understand challenging. If you are seeing him eat brine shrimp that is a very positive sign. I would try to get him to eat mysis as that has more nutrition than brine and then try to get him on pellets. As others have mentioned they eat/hunt all day. Some people have had success with "mandarin diners". Basically a jar with a food source that only they can get into. That way they can munch at their leisure without competition. There are some videos on meleev's website of his mandarins in the diner he made. I am not sure how he trained them to do this.

Good luck! Let us know how he does. Hopefully he will take the prepared food!

emerald525

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Mandarin

Here is a picture of mine. It was given to me almost 2 years ago now. He or she? is constantly hunting for food but eats frozen food , pellets, etc which is why it's one of the fatter mandarins I have seen..

DSC07975ARW.jpg

DSC07980ARW.jpg

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently took the plunge on one as well, mine is a little more red than the others, but he is gorgeous. He seems to be happy, but camershy....

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hes a little less scared of me, I can ser him poking his head out every now and then. I made a madarin diner, I say him poking around it after school, and I moved it since the "door" was facing out in the open, and being a nervous fish, he wasnt entily buying it.

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of mine. It was given to me almost 2 years ago now. He or she? is constantly hunting for food but eats frozen food , pellets, etc which is why it's one of the fatter mandarins I have seen..

She is a beautiful spotted mandarin.

CJ

OP
OP
Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news, he is still healthy and plump. I have a patch of chaeto in my display that he is frequently grabbing pods from.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back