Mandarin goby

Leo.L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would like help with getting my mandarin goby to eat other foods other than copepods. any help with your experience and how it went for you would be great.

IMG_20221210_190224489_HDR~2.jpg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
welcome aboard the r2r board!

try adding american marine “selcon”, brightwell aquatic’s “garlic power”, or seachem “garlic guard” to the frozen food you feed (if you even feed frozen), those garlic drops usually help with picky eaters.

maybe invest in a copepod subscription to feed copepods and seed your tank as well.

OP
OP
L

Leo.L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome aboard the r2r board!

try adding american marine “selcon”, brightwell aquatic’s “garlic power”, or seachem “garlic guard” to the frozen food you feed (if you even feed frozen), those garlic drops usually help with picky eaters.

maybe invest in a copepod subscription to feed copepods and seed your tank as well.
I currently have amphipods, and Tigger pods in display. But will like for him to eat other foods as well. I've tried frozen mysis shrimp, frozen blood worms, eve live mysis shrimp. But he only looks at it, no noticeable reaction. I will try the garlic thanks very much.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Freshly hatched brine shrimp, can o cyclops, Reef Nutrition Roe or Artic Pods, white worms, TDO pellets, if you spot feed corals drop some in front of the mandarin sometimes they will eat it.

I'm no expert, I haven't had mine long, but try to offer a variety of things.

BTW welcome
Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use hykari bloodworms and small mysis. You can add pellets as well. Add the garlic, selcon and let soak for a few minute. If the mandarin is not in its own tank by itself then you need to put it in a “box” of your choice with good flow inside the DT. You can use this to monitor progress and spot feed the food you choose. It usually works, sometimes not. Really depends on your consistency and effort, imo. I use a dish or even a shrimp feeder tube if in its own tank. This allows a diner area where the mandarin will become accustomed to eating. if you have shrimp, snail etc you want to get the shrimp feeder or a small jar to help the mandarin get its food.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
i would like help with getting my mandarin goby to eat other foods other than copepods. any help with your experience and how it went for you would be great.

IMG_20221210_190224489_HDR~2.jpg
Your challenge is . . . these fish like live foods. While some adapt to soaked or soft foods there are few versus the ones who eat live only. Other than pods would be live baby brine which you can grow yourself and live rotifiers

OP
OP
L

Leo.L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshly hatched brine shrimp, can o cyclops, Reef Nutrition Roe or Artic Pods, white worms, TDO pellets, if you spot feed corals drop some in front of the mandarin sometimes they will eat it.

I'm no expert, I haven't had mine long, but try to offer a variety of things.

BTW welcome
Bruce Willis Party GIF by IFC
I'm trying to grow brine shrimp now. Will look into other foods mentioned. Thanks

OP
OP
L

Leo.L

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use hykari bloodworms and small mysis. You can add pellets as well. Add the garlic, selcon and let soak for a few minute. If the mandarin is not in its own tank by itself then you need to put it in a “box” of your choice with good flow inside the DT. You can use this to monitor progress and spot feed the food you choose. It usually works, sometimes not. Really depends on your consistency and effort, imo. I use a dish or even a shrimp feeder tube if in its own tank. This allows a diner area where the mandarin will become accustomed to eating. if you have shrimp, snail etc you want to get the shrimp feeder or a small jar to help the mandarin get its food.
Yes, I've just bought a box that I can use for this purpose. Will be catching him to train him to eat. Thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 30 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.5%
Back