Mandarin skin turning white

Bigbadfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys my mandarins skin started turning white near his tail and seems sickly! Did a little bit of research and found it may be some kind of fungal infection so I removed him from my main tank and placed him in quarantine does anybody know what this is or what I should do to treat it.

3ddae09428695c8eb9bd5018583ee333.jpg
f834b26377d74b812a60751fa6154ecf.jpg
fb91047dfd59f1f42c8cb24a88a6a06d.jpg

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does he appear to have sloughing skin? Or mucous? Do you have any new additions to your tank? Typical antibiotics are Metroplex, Kanaplex, and Furan 2, this is known as the trifecta. To. Treat you’ll need to get him into a QT tank though.

OP
OP
Bigbadfishy

Bigbadfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does he appear to have sloughing skin? Or mucous? Do you have any new additions to your tank? Typical antibiotics are Metroplex, Kanaplex, and Furan 2, this is known as the trifecta. To. Treat you’ll need to get him into a QT tank though.

The skin does not appear to be peeling or sloughing in any way. the only new additions to the tank is some corals. I do have him in quarantine right now. But he is sitting very still and breathing but not moving or bouncing around and eating like normal.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skin does not appear to be peeling or sloughing in any way. the only new additions to the tank is some corals. I do have him in quarantine right now. But he is sitting very still and breathing but not moving or bouncing around and eating like normal.

Do you have any coral that may have stung him and caused an infection? Either way I would get started on the ABX. You’ll need to run them for about 14 days as fish are slow to react to ABX (antibiotics).

OP
OP
Bigbadfishy

Bigbadfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any coral that may have stung him and caused an infection? Either way I would get started on the ABX. You’ll need to run them for about 14 days as fish are slow to react to ABX (antibiotics).

Not that I know of but I can’t be sure about the stings, also best place to order ABX? Amazon?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I know of but I can’t be sure about the stings, also best place to order ABX? Amazon?

That’s where I get mine from. How long has he been in your DT? How long have you had him?

OP
OP
Bigbadfishy

Bigbadfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think is going south, he is upside down. Crazy this happened all in 1 day.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had him 7 days from world wide corals.

Ok, so he’s the new addition. I suspect you may be dealing with brook (just a hunch)Keep dosing the Metro for 10-14 days. If the loss of color like this was on a clown I’d say brook for sure. Either way get the meds going ASAP.
@Big G thoughts?

OP
OP
Bigbadfishy

Bigbadfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No other fish have any sign of infection and it is a reef tank should I just keep the medication on standby and treat if any signs of spreading?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to edit above post I don’t recommend a FW dip for Mandarins I think it decimated their slime coat.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is a bacterial infection. The trifecta as recommended above is a good place to start.

I don't think it's Brook, but if it is the metro used in trifecta would cover it.

I would start the ABX as soon as possible. If it's a gram negative infection (which is likely since the fish is so new) time is of the essence.

NFG is another wonderful antibiotic to use. More difficult to obtain. I'd get the trifecta going and maybe order some NFG so you have it if it becomes necessary.

OP
OP
Bigbadfishy

Bigbadfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is a bacterial infection. The trifecta as recommended above is a good place to start.

I don't think it's Brook, but if it is the metro used in trifecta would cover it.

I would start the ABX as soon as possible. If it's a gram negative infection (which is likely since the fish is so new) time is of the essence.

NFG is another wonderful antibiotic to use. More difficult to obtain. I'd get the trifecta going and maybe order some NFG so you have it if it becomes necessary.

Thank you for all the information the little guy passed just want to be make sure it’s doesn’t spread to anyone else in the tank so I’m gonna order it if I see anything come up.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the information the little guy passed just want to be make sure it’s doesn’t spread to anyone else in the tank so I’m gonna order it if I see anything come up.
Sorry for the loss :(

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss :(

I agree with the bacterial infection diagnosis ^ can be quite fast-moving. The meds are good to have on hand in any case.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 171 73.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 41 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back