Mangrove species

ReefingRainbow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wanting to build a mangrove tank with macro algae, gorgonians, etc. and acquired a handful of mangrove pods. However, I'm seeing threads about how slow these grow in a tank and was wondering if there was a way to purchase a more established mangrove and what species might grow faster.

Eatfrenchfries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red mangroves seem to be the hardiest and fastest. I ordered a batch of 50+ online for $25 with shipping included. Got a bunch of pods. A month later they all have roots.

Mangroves will take off once established. Until then, be patient.
They do sell mangroves with roots and leaves already but are significantly more expensive. Also mangroves shed leaves when transferred between tanks if varying salinity in my experience so even if you do get one with leaves they'll probably fall off and grow back in time.

OP
OP
R

ReefingRainbow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red mangroves seem to be the hardiest and fastest. I ordered a batch of 50+ online for $25 with shipping included. Got a bunch of pods. A month later they all have roots.

They do sell mangroves with roots and leaves already but are significantly more expensive. Also mangroves shed leaves when transferred between tanks if varying salinity in my experience so even if you do get one with leaves they'll probably fall off and grow back in time.
I only need 1-2 tho. So paying a bit more for a larger specimen wouldn't be an issue. I just hate having to wait months before I can continue aquascaping this tank. I can't get things arranged until I have something with significant roots.

Thank you for your reply, btw.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am wanting to build a mangrove tank with macro algae, gorgonians, etc. and acquired a handful of mangrove pods. However, I'm seeing threads about how slow these grow in a tank and was wondering if there was a way to purchase a more established mangrove and what species might grow faster.
Our red mangroves grow pretty fast and are pushing about 18" and the propagules are roughly 8 inches or so :)

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@Eatfrenchfries what's the plan for 50+ mangroves??

Eatfrenchfries

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I split them between two systems of 90 and 30 Gallons. Bundled them by bunches of three and grew them in various placements. The ones that flourished stayed. The ones that didn't got placed in a DSB lagoon where they get natural sunlight.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I split them between two systems of 90 and 30 Gallons. Bundled them by bunches of three and grew them in various placements. The ones that flourished stayed. The ones that didn't got placed in a DSB lagoon where they get natural sunlight.
Got a link to any of those tanks? Always like to see what others do with mangroves. I have 4 I've been growing in FW for 2 years, plan to try acclimating to SW at some point, once I have the proper tank for them. One is easily ~2.5 ft tall.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Black Mangrove are better suit for reef aquarium. It is smaller and IME, hardier and faster growing.
I collected the seed during the hurricane season, around Sept 2020. Started and grow this plant from seed in my sump. The thickest part of the trunk is about 1 inch in diameter. The root system is all over my sump, started in a small sand container in the sump. It sends roots all over and also send air root as seen in the picture. My sump is a 100 gal Rubbermaid container with all the equipment and a bunch of live rock in it.
The one problem with Black mangrove is that it excretes salt crystal on the leave and has a whitish powder after a few days. Spray with a spray bottle will easily wash it off. the wash water drip to the water. If we don't do this, then the leaves have a powder white coat on it.
Jan 2021
c11c5f55-6cd5-439f-938d-73417cdce476-jpeg.2923064

a few weeks later
d3566e2a-186d-45ce-a1b3-aa82a8ed5a38-jpeg.2923066

12/2022
6c4ddcc6-2cbd-446c-8b9e-b6c7e91d7297-jpeg.2923021

6 days' worth of growth:
Sunday last week 12/4/2022
ba4e167f-6764-4aae-95f3-ebb719510a90-jpeg.2923020

Today 12/10/2022
cf065b6d-3d23-4e5c-9a4b-94dac763f880-jpeg.2930037

Last edited: