Many would quit..so I decided to upgrade!

LeeLoo Lola

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been reefing for a very long time. Last November after a few year break, I started up a 75 gallon. This was the first time I used dry rock, dry sand. (Zero stars..would not recommend!) The first few months were glorious, but then came all the uglies. First it was cyano like I’ve never seen before blanketing every surface of the tank and it was unstoppable. Then, the toughest was a good 4 month battle with two different types of dinos. The last round was with Coolia which resulted in a lot of coral death. While trying to eliminate the dinos by bringing up the nutrients, I had an explosion of gha. I’ve got a handle on that now and seem to have a happy little ecosystem. So what did I do?

Today, I ordered the Innovative Marine Nuvo 170 EXT!! It will be months before it comes in. Starting this tank won’t be as tough, but I’ll still need more rock and sand. Therefore, I have a lot of decisions to make like whether to give Tampa Bay Saltwater a try and what equipment I want to give a go this time around.

Live, learn and come out stronger!!! I’m looking forward to sharing my build with y’all!

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is such an awesome tank! Wow it's also big. I love my rocks from KP Aquatics. Good luck and start a Build Thread so I can watch it happen

OP
OP
LeeLoo Lola

LeeLoo Lola

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is such an awesome tank! Wow it's also big. I love my rocks from KP Aquatics. Good luck and start a Build Thread so I can watch it happen
Hey! Former member of NJRC here. I wonder if we’ve ever met. I moved 12 years ago.

I love the dimensions of the tank and was happy with my 75ext. Stand leaves a little bit to be desired so we may have a welded steel stand built that we will skin with wood.

I’m definitely going to start up a build thread once it starts moving along!!

Coinzmans Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same, dry rock but live sand and it was challenging at first. I didn't want all the hitchhikers but wound up with most of them anyway. The only hiker I don't miss are the bristle worm, as of now I am bristle free.

OP
OP
LeeLoo Lola

LeeLoo Lola

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same, dry rock but live sand and it was challenging at first. I didn't want all the hitchhikers but wound up with most of them anyway. The only hiker I don't miss are the bristle worm, as of now I am bristle free.
I totally understand. I truly believe my tank was just too sterile. I didn’t mention it, but I also finally took a large rock from a friend’s 450 gallon that has been up and running for over 10 years. I was ready to roll the dice on hitchhikers at that point.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good for you !!! Ive never heard a complaint or remorse when it comes to an upgrade !!

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Former member of NJRC here. I wonder if we’ve ever met. I moved 12 years ago.

I love the dimensions of the tank and was happy with my 75ext. Stand leaves a little bit to be desired so we may have a welded steel stand built that we will skin with wood.

I’m definitely going to start up a build thread once it starts moving along!!
I am afraid we didn't meet. It would have been nice to have another female member. There are a few but they usually don't come to the parties. I have been a NJRC member for 6 years. I'm going to follow you so when you do start your Builder Thread I'll know:slightly-smiling-face:

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve been reefing for a very long time. Last November after a few year break, I started up a 75 gallon. This was the first time I used dry rock, dry sand. (Zero stars..would not recommend!) The first few months were glorious, but then came all the uglies. First it was cyano like I’ve never seen before blanketing every surface of the tank and it was unstoppable. Then, the toughest was a good 4 month battle with two different types of dinos. The last round was with Coolia which resulted in a lot of coral death. While trying to eliminate the dinos by bringing up the nutrients, I had an explosion of gha. I’ve got a handle on that now and seem to have a happy little ecosystem. So what did I do?

Today, I ordered the Innovative Marine Nuvo 170 EXT!! It will be months before it comes in. Starting this tank won’t be as tough, but I’ll still need more rock and sand. Therefore, I have a lot of decisions to make like whether to give Tampa Bay Saltwater a try and what equipment I want to give a go this time around.

Live, learn and come out stronger!!! I’m looking forward to sharing my build with y’all!
Hi Teach! How come you don't come hang out in the sales with me anymore....? You too @fishface NJ !

OP
OP
LeeLoo Lola

LeeLoo Lola

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Teach! How come you don't come hang out in the sales with me anymore....? You too @fishface NJ !
I will be soon!!! It was super sad to watch and not be able to buy anything. The good news is between the die off from the dinos and the upcoming tank, I’ll have a whole lot of empty space to fill!!!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I will be soon!!! It was super sad to watch and not be able to buy anything. The good news is between the die off from the dinos and the upcoming tank, I’ll have a whole lot of empty space to fill!!!
This is hard one to pick the "like" type for... Like "Yay! She's coming back!" "No! She lost a bunch!" "Woohoo!!! New tank!"

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the upgrade. I personally don't mind the hitchhikers, and I very much appreciate the stability that live rock helps bring when I start a tank, so I wouldn't do it any other way.

OP
OP
LeeLoo Lola

LeeLoo Lola

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is hard one to pick the "like" type for... Like "Yay! She's coming back!" "No! She lost a bunch!" "Woohoo!!! New tank!"
I get it. It sucked, but I also learned a lot. The biggest lesson was not to give up because I had my moments when I was feeling ready.

It is only up from here!!! Well..maybe not my bank account, but the fun is! Lol

Back