Marine Betta order?

Roman009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks. I’m planning out my stock for a 90 gallon FOWLR that’s finishing up its cycle. Here’s my plan:

Damsels (Chrysiptera)
Valentini Puffer
Mystery Wrasse
Maroon Clowns x2
Rabbit fish - Orange Spot
Butterflies - TBD
Flame Angel
Blue Throat Trigger
Scopas Tang
Marine Betta

Figuring that the Betta will be the tank highlight. The list above is my best guess for stocking progression, although I have no idea of when the Betta should be added.

Input requested.

Thanks!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got a couple of ultimately pretty large fish on your list for a 90. Fish that size really need more room to s-t-r-e-t-c-h their fins a bit.

OP
OP
Roman009

Roman009

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got a couple of ultimately pretty large fish on your list for a 90. Fish that size really need more room to s-t-r-e-t-c-h their fins a bit.

I have a 220 FOWLR for when they get big. Will be fine.

So should he be early or late in the order? Or does it not really matter?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would introduce the betta first, they can be shy and timid at 1st, as well as difficult to feed. I would establish his eating confidence before introducing any rambunctious tank mates

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would introduce the Betta first, I agree. Get them used to captive fare before introducing fish that are faster and take food more quickly.

Damsels- Which species do you have in mind?

For a 220 FOWLR a Heniochus would be great. Beautiful fish. The brown ones are harder to get eating but I heard the Masked, Singular, Red Sea, Longfin, and Schooling are fairly easy.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No opinion on when to add as ours was already eating when we got it. But I love our marine betta, one of the favorites of our tank.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to Betta first. They are turbo shy, and real slow eaters. Sometimes can take a while to get to eat prepared foods too. You'll have no regrets though.

DSC_1865.JPG

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait with the rabbitfish (grows extremely fast), the tang (needs lots of swimming room and is too restless for marine bettas), the butterflies, and the trigger until you have that 220 gallon tank.
I would also suggest to add 2 marine betta if you want to see them often.
It is best to add the marine bettas together with the clowns an damsels as they shouldn't have any conflict. The clowns and damsels will show the bettas that it is safe to come out of the rocks.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does 5-gallon tank is too small for betta? I see that they grow quite quickly.

For a Marine Betta, a 5 gallon is way too small. You could perhaps keep a young juvenile in a 5, but certainly would not keep an adult in there. Mine has grown maybe 1.5x since I got him in February, currently about 5" long.

DSC_1411.JPG DSC_1408.JPG

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks. I’m planning out my stock for a 90 gallon FOWLR that’s finishing up its cycle. Here’s my plan:

Damsels (Chrysiptera)
Valentini Puffer
Mystery Wrasse
Maroon Clowns x2
Rabbit fish - Orange Spot
Butterflies - TBD
Flame Angel
Blue Throat Trigger
Scopas Tang
Marine Betta

Figuring that the Betta will be the tank highlight. The list above is my best guess for stocking progression, although I have no idea of when the Betta should be added.

Input requested.

Thanks!
That is a lot of fishes for a 90 gal, I would not put all those fishes in a 90 even if I can remove it to a 220 when they get big.
The Betta will not be the tank highlight. You won't see him at all, except glimps of him now and then, with that many fishes.

RC79ATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the Comet in the tank and eating...and use caution, you have a few attitude fish in that list and Bettas are susceptible to being bullied. Also watch the fin nippers with the puffer, angel and damsels.

Good luck.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a Marine Betta, a 5 gallon is way too small. You could perhaps keep a young juvenile in a 5, but certainly would not keep an adult in there. Mine has grown maybe 1.5x since I got him in February, currently about 5" long.

I feel like the person is confusing freshwater and marine betta. They also mentioned having corys with a betta in a 5 gallon.
I don't know that I've even seen a 5 gallon saltwater tank outside of little mini frag like tanks at stores.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also wonder why that poster would have their full address in their profile?? That seems dangerous or a troll? Like maybe a younger child got on their parents account or something? @revhtree is that something you should look into? If a kid really did start an account, it seems really dangerous to have their address listed like that for anyone to see.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly never checked their profile, but agreed, does seem a little suspicious. I thought they may have been talking about a freshwater betta, but on the chance they weren't, figured I should say something. Does add credibility to the thought that they may be a wee whippersnapper.

Southpaw240

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very shy fish but it is the highlight when it does come out. After intro to the display it took 3 weeks before it was seen again, thought it was a goner. And yes like others have mentioned took quite a while to get it eating non-living food. But currently the oldest living fish in the tank at over 5 years and very healthy, they are very hardy, at least mine is.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine Bettas are as close to indestructible as fish get, if you get a healthy specimen. Mine has survived velvet and the subsequent copper treatment that killed 7/10 fish. Is now living in a tank that has ich, but is showing zero signs or symptoms.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly never checked their profile, but agreed, does seem a little suspicious. I thought they may have been talking about a freshwater betta, but on the chance they weren't, figured I should say something. Does add credibility to the thought that they may be a wee whippersnapper.

It was showing up under the picture when you look at their posts in the thread. I've been on mobile since so maybe they fixed it.

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marine Bettas are as close to indestructible as fish get, if you get a healthy specimen. Mine has survived velvet and the subsequent copper treatment that killed 7/10 fish. Is now living in a tank that has ich, but is showing zero signs or symptoms.
Once acclimated and stabilized they are hardy but they can be very fragile when they come in. I'm suspecting that those coming from Indonesia were generally caught with cyanide. These days Philippine specimen should be preferred - if available. Unfortunately, most found in the trade come from Indonesia.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back