Marine Collectors

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about getting a blue tang and a yellow tang from Marine Collectors for around $400 total. My LFS would be around $150 for both. Is it worth the extra money for the quarantine because I know blue tangs are ich magnets so will it just get ich again once I add him to my main display or would I have to quarantine them even after getting them?

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For about $100 you can setup a quarantine tank and do everything yourself. Why would you pay extra $250 to someone else to do this, and question if quarantine was done properly. What gurantees do they have that fish will not develop ich or other parasites due to shipping and stress? Like you said they are a ich magnet, just look at them and they will get it.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For about $100 you can setup a quarantine tank and do everything yourself. Why would you pay extra $250 to someone else to do this, and question if quarantine was done properly. What gurantees do they have that fish will not develop ich or other parasites due to shipping and stress? Like you said they are a ich magnet, just look at them and they will get it.
that’s what I thought, I just heard that the quality was really good but I’m already getting ready to setup my own QT. thanks

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So what guarantees that the fish purchaser will quarantine properly, even better than the guys at Marine Collectors? What guarantees that the fish won’t develop ich or parasites due to shipping? Shipping doesn’t cause them to develop parasites.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were 100% sure that your tank was disease/parasite free, then starting with pre-quarantined fish could be a good idea... If you already have other fish in there that were not meticulously quarantined (that could be harboring disease) then its kind of pointless to me... Even if he comes completely clean, he will be stressed from shipping and going into a system that would potentially reinfect him

As @cvrle1 said, you can get everything you need for around $100, learn a lot of about fish care/husbandry, and have the setup ready for future additions to the tank, or for use in a hospital tank situation

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never trust anyone to quarantine and treat any fish going into my tank. I want to do it myself so it gets done properly. But, this may not be a simple thing for someone who has never done it. But if you plan to be in this hobby for long, you should learn how to do it at some point.

I'm a firm believer in treating every new fish for every possible parasite (internal and external) before introducing to the MT.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several advantages to doing your own quarantine.

One, you control the length of time of the quarantine.
Two, you control the prophylactic treatments.
Three, you KNOW what you have done and you have to take a vendor’s word for it.
Four, fish come into the country rather stressed out and malnourished. In quarantine, I get them used to my feeding regime and they get fattened up. When they go into the display, there are pretty well prepared for holding their own in the feeding frenzy.

There is a downside, you do risk having a fish not make it through quarantine.

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just out of curiosity, do you quarantine your own fish?

Back