Marine Fish in General

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Heya R2R Peeps,

Today I went to purchase a Powder Blue Tang from my LFS. I ask if I could pay today and pick him up tomorrow because I just set my QT tank up today and wanted to give it 24 hours to run. The owner told me that since the PBT was healthy I could stick it directly in my DT because putting him in QT and then my DT weeks later would only add more shock. He then says ALL fish have ICH (One main reason I want to QT) and that it appears when the fish is stressed. Putting a PBT directly in my DT was bad advise correct? Also is it true that all fish have ICH within and its just dormant? Needless to say I did not purchase the PBT because I can't risk sticking a PBT in my tank without QT. My tank is running to well and I don't want to introduce nothing that is not already there to the tank that will foul it up. Thanks for answering.

ChadLo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heya R2R Peeps,

Today I went to purchase a Powder Blue Tang from my LFS. I ask if I could pay today and pick him up tomorrow because I just set my QT tank up today and wanted to give it 24 hours to run. The owner told me that since the PBT was healthy I could stick it directly in my DT because putting him in QT and then my DT weeks later would only add more shock. He then says ALL fish have ICH (One main reason I want to QT) and that it appears when the fish is stressed. Putting a PBT directly in my DT was bad advise correct? Also is it true that all fish have ICH within and its just dormant? Needless to say I did not purchase the PBT because I can't risk sticking a PBT in my tank without QT. My tank is running to well and I don't want to introduce nothing that is not already there to the tank that will foul it up. Thanks for answering.
You made the right call. I ALWAYS QT! They can be sick and not show symptoms as you know. That's why you QT for 6-8 weeks to ensure they don't have anything. Is the PBT the last fish you intend on adding?

jhOU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just assume any new fish has ich, so I treat every fish with copper regardless of showing symptoms or where i got it. The only times i’ve lost fish in QT were the ones I didn’t treat with copper FIRST thing(ramping up to therapeutic dose over 4-5 days).

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You made the right call. I ALWAYS QT! They can be sick and not show symptoms as you know. That's why you QT for 6-8 weeks to ensure they don't have anything. Is the PBT the last fish you intend on adding?
No I plan to add more because my tank is 150g and my bioload is very very light i have room for lots more.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heya R2R Peeps,

No, it is absolutely not true that all fish have Ich and it lies dormant. Ich is a parasite.......if the parasite is removed, it doesn't reappear on its' own. That being said, it is best practice to assume they do when it involves putting a new fish into an established reef tank.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I am glad there is a community around like R2R to remove all doubt and to help when your LFS just wants to make a buck so it seems.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many opinions regarding QT.. PBT is probably most important to QT. The method you choose is completely your choice of course but in my opinion treating everything with copper does more harm than good. Copper poisons the fish, it's an extreme analogy but like taking chemo as a precaution.

As someone above I think was alluding to, PBT are best added last to a tank. They are of the more aggressive tangs

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I don't mind adding him last. I since have moved on from the thought. I am thinking anthinas. I was also think about Talbot damsels
but I have 3 green chromis and I am not sure how that would work out. I have a peaceful community since the Scopas and yellow tang worked out there differences and I want to keep it that way.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 80 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back