Marine Mite?

CoralManz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the right there's a copepod for size comparison.Is it going to be problematic?Lost it before I could siphon it out. #reefsquad @ReefSquad
sea mite.JPG

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halacarid - it is indeed a marine mite.

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump on this old thread here... I suspect mites are rather ubiquitous in the hobby... I've had a recent explosion of them on my glass... seem to be eating algae in the video here and based on abdomen colors... but really I have no idea.

Any arthropod experts out there? Seems to be very little information on the forums about these.

Attachments

• Reef Tank Mites, Apr. 2021.JPG
    Reef Tank Mites, Apr. 2021.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 76
  • VID_20210419_114750 (2).mp4
    1.9 MB

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first time I’ve ever brought up an old thread but this really is something I don’t see much info on. Hopefully this will help someone and if someone knows for sure what they are please let us all know. If I figure out what type of mite these are first I’ll post about it.

I honestly think these are mites that feed on algae. I have exactly two zoa polyps and zero sps; so I doubt they’d be on the opposite side of the tank from the zoas inside the overflow if they were zoa munchers.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back