Marineland 75 Gallon Inquiries

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title implies, I'm curious on any experience/ input on the 75 gallon Marineland tank. I found one on Craigslist f/s that has been torn down locally due to Hurricane Irma earlier in the year. I've read about some very chilling stories of their Deep Dimension tanks springing leaks, blowing out, etc. This tank is about 3 years old, and was bought new. Sunday will be the day ill be able to go and see it, but just thought I would test the metaphorical waters with how some of yall's experience with these have gone. Specifically 75 gallon tanks. Ive had one before back in my day, but wasn't sure whom the manufacturer was.

I have no idea how i'm going to use it yet. Part of me wants to make a sump out of it for my "Ultimate Tank" one day that everyone has lingering on the back burner of their reefing brains. . . I live in a 3rd story apartment as well right now so getting that thing up old stairwells isn't an option. I'm 2/3 leaning toward sump and 1/3 leaning toward making it a DT. The major factor being i could reseal the seams before making my DIY sump... and it wouldn't have to be pretty, but we shall see. Thanks for the input.

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time a crack/leak is due to a tank not being level so a good amount of the weight is pushing on one of the glass sides. Sometimes putting a tank on a carpet is level till the water goes in and then its not perfectly level anymore.

If you want to go big you better check with your landlord if you rent or the HOA if you own to make sure they'll allow a large tank.

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought that 75 gallon marineland at petco in December 2016. I don’t notice any poor seals and certainly no leaks. I will say after having it set up for a year now I’m wishing I would have gone with a rimless tank. Mostly just for the esthetics.

I also bought it thinking one day it will make a great sump on a big tank. And hopefully that will happen.

OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought that 75 gallon marineland at petco in December 2016. I don’t notice any poor seals and certainly no leaks. I will say after having it set up for a year now I’m wishing I would have gone with a rimless tank. Mostly just for the esthetics.

I also bought it thinking one day it will make a great sump on a big tank. And hopefully that will happen.

I totally understand where you’re coming from, my 17 now is the first rimless tank and it’s definitely much more aesthetically pleasing to look at compared to the black framed tanks.

Hopefully is right. It would make a great sump for nearly any size tank! I’ve made my own sump before from a tank. But it was a few years before all these ready made sump manufacturers. And I’ll just use some of their designs and make what best suits my needs. Nothing wrong with my design now. But a 75 has so much room for activities inside it! Haha

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back