Maroon Lagoon V2.0

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank needs to hurry and be ready for some frags so I can come raid yours and Ty's frag tank!

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is, I haven't seen them spawn yet, it would be pretty neat if they did one day though!

I don't think I've seen them before. How long have you had them together? I checked liveaquaria and they are pretty cheap but say there should only be one. Any fighting? Do they eat prepared food at all?

Last edited:
OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I've seen them before. How long have you had them together? I checked liveaquaria and they are pretty cheap but say there should only be one. Any fighting? Do they eat prepared food at all?

I've had them over half a year I think. I read that too, but haven't had many issues. At first they paired up, then started acting territorial, now they just ignore each other for the most part. I've been on a kick lately for smaller fish. I feel bad housing larger fish in my tank, especially when I scuba dive and see how much area tangs and angels cover in a matter of minutes, housing them in small boxes seems cruel to me. I try to focus on fish that hang out in the same spot now, mainly gobies, anthias, and chromis. I love their personality and it's always a joy to spot one you rarely see [emoji1]

I have two neon gobies that are so fat, I think I want to get another and maybe some other species of small gobies that will hang out on corals and in between rocks.
c185b47e8872fc0ac157508b134a25c8.jpg

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks awesome! Have you thought about fragging the confetti and moving it down low to see if you get the green?

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks awesome! Have you thought about fragging the confetti and moving it down low to see if you get the green?

Thought about it, yes. Problem is the growth is so amazing up high I don't want to move it yet! Maybe one day when it's like the size of a baseball I'll consider moving it [emoji1]

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the smallest fish I've ever bought to the tank today, a golden eviota font. The longer I'm in this hobby, the more I gravitate towards smaller fish. I love the detail and the personality of small fish, darting in and out of the rockwork. I also just feel bad putting larger fish in a confined tank when I see tangs and angels cruising large swaths of reef in a matter of seconds while I'm diving. Meanwhile I see TONS of little gobies and smaller fish inhabiting the same coral colony and rock outcrop. That image seems more natural and inviting to me than large fish in a small glass cage. I'll get off my soap box now [emoji12]

761e6b861b29c193ec9d5c2c2bd1b651.jpg

In other news, I'll soon be forced to start fragging either my Vivid Confetti colony or my RCA Baton Rouge colony. My guess is they'll be touching by the end of the weekend.
47e1c28f0ee513bd17a3eb3e9251390f.jpg

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
everything looks great and you have some insane growth in here.

Anything specific you note it too?

Last edited:

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love to do a tank with lots of tiny fish. I feel it would help give the tank motion since I mostly have sticks. I feel I need a few tangs to graze the rocks though.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everything looks great and you have some insane growth in here.

Anything specific you note it too?
Hmmm, I can't really attribute it to any singular influence. My calcium reactor keeps the water full of the minerals and trace elements corals need. I feed the tank 2-3 times a day. I dose AcroPower from time to time. I filter the junk out of my tap water with a 7 stage RO/DI set up. But most of all I keep parameters stable. I think stability is the key with a good thriving SPS tank.

I'd love to do a tank with lots of tiny fish. I feel it would help give the tank motion since I mostly have sticks. I feel I need a few tangs to graze the rocks though.
I do have a yellow tang in my tank. It's the most timid fish I own and I hardly ever see it eat algae. Maybe it does when no one is around to scare it into hiding, but I pull most of my algae out by hand from the overflows and powerheads.

OP
OP
gig 'em

gig 'em

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My H. magnifica anemone FINALLY moved off the front glass and to the back wall after I accidentally left one of my powerheads off for a week while I was out of town. He didn't like the lack of flow so decided to find somewhere else to anchor down. I like this position much more, I can still grow all my acros AND see the front of my mag again [emoji1]

59c98b98e8dfd24ffde33840ff70a168.jpg

Also getting back into the clam scene after I lost all my clams in 2015 to some sort of disease. I tested out a clam in my tank since it's been about 3 years and it seems to be ok so far.
7575bdf5f88affa2eb995a28000dce8f.jpg

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous Squamosa, perfect specimen.
Do you know the which grower? I see DD has cultured squamosa lately.
Stunning acropora as always.
Cool the mag moved, bet that was a welcome surprise. Love the Orange Skunks guarding it.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back