Mason Plott EBAY AUCTION EXTRAVAGANZA!

Chrissy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it may have something to do with it being a fundraiser...they have certain rules that have to be followed I guess...
From Ebay Policies page regarding fundraisers:
Charitable fundraising is a highly regulated area subject to numerous state and federal laws. eBay allows sellers to list items and collect proceeds (in whole or in part) on behalf of nonprofits either with eBay Giving Works (the dedicated program for charity listings on eBay) or without eBay Giving Works (as long as the listings meet our specific guidelines for charitable solicitations).

Violations of this policy may result in a range of actions, including:
  • Listing cancellation
  • Limits on account privileges
  • Account suspension
  • Forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings
  • Loss of PowerSeller status

Link to the page where I found it http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/fundraising.html

Last edited:

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a mess!!! After this is over, I will never do business with eBay again. It appears they are upset since this is a charity event and we did not abide by their rules. Here is a portion of the email we received.

We notified members who placed bids on the item that the listing has been canceled.

eBay encourages Community members to support charities. Accordingly, we have partnered with MissionFish to make it easier for members to donate to the organizations of their choice. However, because charitable fundraising is heavily regulated by federal and state law, we've created very specific guidelines regarding charitable solicitation on eBay. For example, sellers can only list items on behalf of a registered 501(c)(3) or 501(c)(4) charitable organization if they've fulfilled all the charitable listing requirements, including:

- For non-MissionFish listings: The seller has obtained written consent on the charity's letterhead and included a scanned copy of that letter in the listing.
- For MissionFish listings: The seller has registered with MissionFish and complied with MissionFish listing guidelines.

For more information on the eBay policy and to view the listing requirements in detail, please visit:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/fundraising.html

So it looks like we must include a copy of a letter on Lakeview Ministries' letterhead giving permission?

Anyone got any suggestions? We are open to any and all!!! eBay does not have phone support and their "Live Chat" helpline is a joke.
Jack

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've a little while to cool off and can kinda understand their policy. There are so many scams out there today they have to cover themselves. I said I understand it, but I don't like it. It would have been nice if they contacted us with a way to resolve it before cancelling the auctions.

This SNAFU belongs to me since I should have researched this better. Now if we can get a permission letter, we will start over.

Sorry for the inconvience.
Jackl

reefermike1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just signed on here because of hearing about mason on another forum. i think its a great thing what u guys are doing and id like to be a part of it. i have quite a few corals id like to donate for the auction... money is really tight but i do have alot of coral. is it going to start back up when everything with ebay is settled?

labman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just another though maybe protest ebay seem it's ok to sell your home and body but not to help a kid walks I think we have a new story here guys I am emailing the local news I recommend you all do the same.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am really lost for what to do and I am up to do whatever is best for Mason.

I can get you a letter like NOW for ebay and email it over if this is what we need to do.

reefsandrotts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey Rev
If ebay wants to be this way why don't we look into a silent bid within the club or any partner clubs?Certain items could be given to different mods or board members and they pm the top dollar amount they will pay for that item.
Just a thought

labman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well

I contacted to local news with links to the story here of Mason news group is pretty good see if they contact either you or me if they contact me I will turn them in your direction if nothing else it would be exposure so maybe people will donate that are not related to the hobby. also ebay has charity auctions all the time they must just think it is not legit. I say give it a day or two and mean time get that letter we can start emailing ebay to complain

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eBay has set rules for anything that has the words fundraiser or charity in it. If the rules are not followed prior to the start of the auction they end the auction no questions asked. I was wondering about it since you had so many auctions, but I figured you guys had already dotted the I's and crossed the T's. Dont take it personal. They do this because of all the scams people have pulled over the years, and there have been many. Best thing to do is go back and see what you have to do to be compliant and start it over again.

nellahtes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so dont put charity in the heading. just disclose in the description that the 100% will be donated. would that work?

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perry is right. I messed up. I reviewed the listing policy and was drawn to the MissionFish method of listing charity auctions. After reviewing MissionFish rules and fees, I decided that was out of the question. I never saw the rule about including an authorization letter.

We will repost one auction tonight with an explaintion so everyone viewing the auctions from other venues will know what happened. The remaining auctions will post Saturday night as this tends to bring in the largest bids.

Sorry for all the trouble.
Jack

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jack another option would be to conduct the auctions as regular auctions and the fund raiser part of the auction would be solely advertised through the forumns. There is no harm in that. Just change the wording You can also put Mason's name in the tile of each auction, I.E. Mason Plott Live Chalice Oranji Coral Frag

And your subscribers would find every item by simply typing the ke word Mason Plott. Just my .02 cents.

oceaninabox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For example, I just donated my meteor shower cyphastrea to Mason. Go to ebay and just type his name Mason Plott and you'll see it. eBay doesnt have anything to do with the fundraiser part of the transaction. We all know where the money is going!!!!

ReeferBen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes just putting his name in the title seems to work fine. It is easy to find the auctions this way.

TritonsGarden

Coral Farmer Wannabe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping that by advertising it as a fundraiser that it might inspire others not privy to Mason's story to bid more. Could there really be caring and compassionate peeps on eBay that would give a little more for a good cause? Maybe. I would like to think so but I may be naive.

Also I stayed away from mentioning his name on eBay. Just as there might be good and caring folks on eBay, there may also be others that would take advantage of his situation. I would hate to think of something bad happening to him as a result of our actions.

Jack

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 48 43.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 56 50.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.3%
Back