Mastertronic Water Testing - Initial Impressions

teebone110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would share my recent experience and initial impressions of my new Mastertronic water testing unit manufactured by Focustronic. Hopefully others may find this helpful if they are interested in learning more about it.

Picked this unit up last week as I was aware that a local Canadian dealer had a limited inventory. I was torn between getting a Neptune Trident or to continue waiting on the GHL Ion Director, but since the Mastertronic was available- and it was a stand alone unit that could test just about everything I regularly test for, I thought I would grab it while I could. The people at Focustronic state that they are continually looking to add more testing elements to it’s current library, the most recently added are Iodine and Iron.

First impressions- this thing is a beast! A lot larger then I thought. I was originally planning to place it within my stand, but it is just too large and will not fit unless I make some major modifications. It is also recommended to keep it in a well ventilated area, free of moisture and humidity. I do have space beside my stand, so this is where I will keep it.

I like the fact that the Mastertronic uses popular test kit reagents that are readily available really keeps access to these easy. I initially thought that the Mastertronic could use any test kit, but quickly learned there are only a few reagents that have been tested to be compatible with the unit. I have also learned from Focustronic that they are working to develop their own reagents, however these are not available yet.

EGCbMeG.png

ytDxkTp.png

In addition to the price of the unit, I still needed to spend an extra $100 bucks on test kits. I bought the refills where available to save some cash. It is important to know that 2 kits of Nitrate and Alkalinity were needed to fill the reagent vials to maximize the number of tests. You can see in the table above the number of tests that the test kits will provide.

Jk3w5tC.jpeg

After I got this beast unboxed, I followed the manual step by step, http://www.focustronic.net/media/wysiwyg/Mastertronic_User_Manual.pdf

along with the setup video on Youtube produced by Focustronic.

I downloaded the Focustronic app, plugged it in and all started up.

MA99lQa.jpeg

ZQTs0tV.jpeg

I followed all the recommended steps for pump and needle calibrations, as this was very easy and kind of fun.

5nvZYeW.jpeg

I was surprised about how loud the stepper pump performed. This pump is active when drawing sample water from the tank. After doing some research, I learned that the stepper pump bushings in the early models were over tightened and could be replaced if needed. My Mastertronic included additional bushings that could be changed to help dampen the vibrations and noise. I found that the more the stepper pump ran, the less noisy it became.

After a couple hours of setup, filling, and labelling the reagent vials, I moved the unit over to my 210 reef tank to see where my parameters were at. Each test is carefully performed and takes about 20-30 minutes. I knew my Alkalinity was running around 8,3 dKH according to my Hanna, so I was interested to see how it would read out. I was impressed to see that the Mastertronic showed that it was 8.35 dKH- not bad :)

nUP9MQT.jpeg

Over the course of the next 24 hours, I manually ran all 5 tests and these numbers were very close to what I was getting with my manual tests.

I2ly3Iv.jpeg

For my interest, I pulled off the back panel to look inside, see the pic below.

tL0ZJvx.jpeg

I did want to mention that I had some questions and reached out to Focustronic and their customer support was excellent. They responded promptly within 24 hours on two different occasions. I was also very impressed with this. There are also two Facebook groups, Focustronic and The Focustronic Owner's Club that offer a lot of support for users.

Overall, I have been happy with the Mastertronic and would give it a 9 out of 10. I can summarize as follows..

What I like: Easy setup, intuitive app, ICP quality test results, good customer support

Would be better: If it was smaller, less expensive, quieter.

Hopefully this information helps others interested in learning more about the Mastertronic. I will keep this thread updated with any further developments.

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing your experience. Stuff like this is stuff many of us are keen to know; even those with competing, though, less exhaustive testing options.

ReefJonas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would share my recent experience and initial impressions of my new Mastertronic water testing unit manufactured by Focustronic. Hopefully others may find this helpful if they are interested in learning more about it.

Picked this unit up last week as I was aware that a local Canadian dealer had a limited inventory. I was torn between getting a Neptune Trident or to continue waiting on the GHL Ion Director, but since the Mastertronic was available- and it was a stand alone unit that could test just about everything I regularly test for, I thought I would grab it while I could. The people at Focustronic state that they are continually looking to add more testing elements to it’s current library, the most recently added are Iodine and Iron.

First impressions- this thing is a beast! A lot larger then I thought. I was originally planning to place it within my stand, but it is just too large and will not fit unless I make some major modifications. It is also recommended to keep it in a well ventilated area, free of moisture and humidity. I do have space beside my stand, so this is where I will keep it.

I like the fact that the Mastertronic uses popular test kit reagents that are readily available really keeps access to these easy. I initially thought that the Mastertronic could use any test kit, but quickly learned there are only a few reagents that have been tested to be compatible with the unit. I have also learned from Focustronic that they are working to develop their own reagents, however these are not available yet.

EGCbMeG.png

ytDxkTp.png

In addition to the price of the unit, I still needed to spend an extra $100 bucks on test kits. I bought the refills where available to save some cash. It is important to know that 2 kits of Nitrate and Alkalinity were needed to fill the reagent vials to maximize the number of tests. You can see in the table above the number of tests that the test kits will provide.

Jk3w5tC.jpeg

After I got this beast unboxed, I followed the manual step by step, http://www.focustronic.net/media/wysiwyg/Mastertronic_User_Manual.pdf

along with the setup video on Youtube produced by Focustronic.

I downloaded the Focustronic app, plugged it in and all started up.

MA99lQa.jpeg

ZQTs0tV.jpeg

I followed all the recommended steps for pump and needle calibrations, as this was very easy and kind of fun.

5nvZYeW.jpeg

I was surprised about how loud the stepper pump performed. This pump is active when drawing sample water from the tank. After doing some research, I learned that the stepper pump bushings in the early models were over tightened and could be replaced if needed. My Mastertronic included additional bushings that could be changed to help dampen the vibrations and noise. I found that the more the stepper pump ran, the less noisy it became.

After a couple hours of setup, filling, and labelling the reagent vials, I moved the unit over to my 210 reef tank to see where my parameters were at. Each test is carefully performed and takes about 20-30 minutes. I knew my Alkalinity was running around 8,3 dKH according to my Hanna, so I was interested to see how it would read out. I was impressed to see that the Mastertronic showed that it was 8.35 dKH- not bad :)

nUP9MQT.jpeg

Over the course of the next 24 hours, I manually ran all 5 tests and these numbers were very close to what I was getting with my manual tests.

I2ly3Iv.jpeg

For my interest, I pulled off the back panel to look inside, see the pic below.

tL0ZJvx.jpeg

I did want to mention that I had some questions and reached out to Focustronic and their customer support was excellent. They responded promptly within 24 hours on two different occasions. I was also very impressed with this. There are also two Facebook groups, Focustronic and The Focustronic Owner's Club that offer a lot of support for users.

Overall, I have been happy with the Mastertronic and would give it a 9 out of 10. I can summarize as follows..

What I like: Easy setup, intuitive app, ICP quality test results, good customer support

Would be better: If it was smaller, less expensive, quieter.

Hopefully this information helps others interested in learning more about the Mastertronic. I will keep this thread updated with any further developments.

Appreciate this review :)
And if any questions just come to us:)

by the way. I noticed that you maybe have not calibrated OLI correct ;-)…take a look in latest manual and if still that high value I can help you. Probably you pressed calibrate before you poured 10 ml RO. In old manual the instructions was not clear but they are improved now. So
10 ml RO in reaction chamber
Then press cal OLI
Also encourage you to enjoy owners club at Facebook where I do a lot of announcements and news and explanations.
I shall try to be better and give some time to also answer at this excellent web site

Jonas

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stepper motor bushings have just gone in mine makes it very loud,new one are on the way so that should fix it.
over all great peace of kit

OP
OP
teebone110

teebone110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

by the way. I noticed that you maybe have not calibrated OLI correct ;-)…take a look in latest manual and if still that high value I can help you. Probably you pressed calibrate before you poured 10 ml RO. In old manual the instructions was not clear but they are improved now. So
Then press cal OLI
Also encourage you to enjoy owners club at Facebook where I do a lot of announcements and news and explanations.
I shall try to be better and give some time to also answer at this excellent web site

Jonas

Hey Jonas, Thanks for your comments about the OLI. I thought the numbers were high, but am unfamiliar with the OLI parameter limits. Not sure what the acronym stands for... maybe .. Organic Load Index

I pulled this information from your website for reference..

After another calibration, it looks like my OLI level is within range.

Last edited:
OP
OP
teebone110

teebone110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just sharing an update that I had a minor issue yesterday testing my alkalinity. Last night, the alkalinity reading came back as follows:

0.09 dKH reading sent to the app
6.08 dKH reading on the MT display

I checked in over at the Focustronic Owners Club on FB asking for help, and it was recommended to run another test. I was informed that in rare circumstances an inaccurate reading can come back this way.

I ran 2 additional tests this evening a few hours apart and it seems that things are back on track.Mastertronic for the win!

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Then press cal OLI

Jonas
I am very interested in getting one if these units. I hardly see them available and are very hard to get. Do you have any idea when we will start to see these units be more available here in the US?

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I installed my Mastertronic, Alkatronic and Dosetronic last night. What marvelous inventions Jonas! I can’t express enough how joyous it is to be able to see and interact with my tank parameters away from home. Having the Dosetronic interact with parameters to keep them stable is icing on the cake. I don’t want to go back to manual testing…..ever

D44A95E7-E4CF-4767-A3D7-DE9105201817.jpeg

OP
OP
teebone110

teebone110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update, as I have been running my Mastertronic for about 3 weeks, There have been a few firmware and software updates pushed down and it seems that things are working fine.

I have weekly tests running and my latest numbers are as follows:

ihK3LZ7.jpg

I have received an alert that I need to add more reagent into one of the Alkalinity vials. It looks like I was able to conduct about 7 alkalinity tests before this warning message. Based on weekly alkalinity testing- this reagent will need to be refilled about once every 2 months which is acceptable.

bGYhdOc.jpg

Here is a history of my Alkalinity testing. You can see that of the 7 tests, there was one inconclusive test on Jan24. I did reach out to the Focustronic FB group to inquire and was told by another user that these things sometimes happen, I performed another test and things were back in check.

g4gdOTv.jpg

Bottom line, I remain very satisfied with the Mastertronic at this point and my tank is looking phenomenal- which is the end goal. :)

T6MGN2i.jpg

Last edited:

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Although VERY expensive, I would really like to purchase this device. Reviews such as yours and others have verified how well it works. The only problem is that they are rarely available in the 2 online stores. How is it that this product has been released over 6 months ago and there is still very little inventory in the states? Frustrating.

OP
OP
teebone110

teebone110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although VERY expensive, I would really like to purchase this device. Reviews such as yours and others have verified how well it works. The only problem is that they are rarely available in the 2 online stores. How is it that this product has been released over 6 months ago and there is still very little inventory in the states? Frustrating.

I am unsure about the exact reason why the the Mastertronic remains unavailable since it’s been released for over 6 months- maybe even a year at this point. It might be due to slowed production and that they cannot produce enough to meet the demand.

OP
OP
teebone110

teebone110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also wanted to add more feedback about the real-world experience with how the Mastertronic has helped in the management of my parameters.

I have not had to make any adjustments to the build elements (All, Ca, Mg)- as it appears that my current dosing is meeting the demands of my system.

It would be unlikely that I would ever have the Mastertronic dictate automatic dosing, as I like being in total control of what is dosed to my tank.

Where I have found the MT has been most useful is with Nutrient Balance (No3 + PO4). I dose Nitrates weekly and it’s been a lot easier to keep these levels within my target range 5-10ppm. Before it was not as clear where my nitrate numbers were- I would either not be testing and dosing enough nitrates and my numbers would bottom out. Now, the Nitrate readings are more accurate and are done automatically each week, it’s overall just easier to manage.

I can say the same for Phosphate-I can see that when I am feeding more, my phosphates go higher (frozen food, reefroids, aminos, etc).

I have noticed within the last 3 weeks that the are slight improvements with the overall colour, health, and polyp extension. These have all improved with fine tuning these nutrients.

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I put in my email address to be notified when in stock at all 3 main online vendors. SWA was first to have stock, I immediately purchased all 3.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back