OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t 600 mL of sodium nitrate yesterday here are the results today.
9738054E-C988-4696-88E2-5D13CA5224BA.jpeg

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After watching some videos on Melevsreef, I got to thinking about my lighting. I may have the lights on too long. Let me know what you think. I'm probably going to modify them this afternoon.

1633362368810.png

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're at the upper end of how long to have them on. If you're not growing nuisance algae and the corals aren't bleaching then you should be good. You can offset leaving them on the longer photocycle by having a lower maximum par, then the amount of light you use in the day can equate to a shorter photocycle with higher par.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're at the upper end of how long to have them on. If you're not growing nuisance algae and the corals aren't bleaching then you should be good. You can offset leaving them on the longer photocycle by having a lower maximum par, then the amount of light you use in the day can equate to a shorter photocycle with higher par.
I downloaded the WWC lighting template, and have switched to that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dropped my nitrate dose to100 mls, and they are still right around 5 tonight. I'm going to see if they start to go down or if they stay the same. I'm really hoping they go up over time. I just don't want them to go up to fast. I think ideally I want them around 10.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrates are coming up and I think my coral are starting to come back. The Paleta had a brown section, and when I looked today the brown spot was gone. The forest fire and the Green slimmer still don't look great, but there are still polyps.
IMG_0983.jpg

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, made it through your entire build, very well done. I know you’ve encountered many challenges, but overall your progress is impressive.

Regarding DT temperature, like you we often have the AC on in the summer and installing a ceiling fan in our DT room really helped with overall DT temp, no more 80’s. Also, one issue I did not see discussed is how you deal with humidity associated with the 315? Does the AC take care of this issue?

Keep up the informative build, I see great successes in your future.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, made it through your entire build, very well done. I know you’ve encountered many challenges, but overall your progress is impressive.

Regarding DT temperature, like you we often have the AC on in the summer and installing a ceiling fan in our DT room really helped with overall DT temp, no more 80’s. Also, one issue I did not see discussed is how you deal with humidity associated with the 315? Does the AC take care of this issue?

Keep up the informative build, I see great successes in your future.
Thank you very much for following along, it has been quite the adventure. As far as humidity, I really have not noticed a problem. I think the air conditioner does the bulk of the work. However, I live in Texas and it is always humid here, so I may just be used to it.

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I’d +1 on the urchin recommendation, while mine can be a little bit of a bulldozer its cleaning benefits by far outweigh the bulldozing risk. Not to mention periodically i toss it into my refugium for a couple weeks and boy does it come out looking happy.

80666086-0295-4076-B4FD-EE1C649CF13B.jpeg

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and I’d +1 on the urchin recommendation, while mine can be a little bit of a bulldozer its cleaning benefits by far outweigh the bulldozing risk. Not to mention periodically i toss it into my refugium for a couple weeks and boy does it come out looking happy.

80666086-0295-4076-B4FD-EE1C649CF13B.jpeg
Yeah I’m gonna have to look into getting some of those.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here is new coral , sorry I know it is terrible quality. It's the @FarmerTy Red Ryder, I also got the green goblin, but it has not come out yet so not much to look at.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what the source of this is.
1634261020310.png
I wonder if Purit or ROX would remove this. I have ROX on the tank now, but I started it after I sent in the test. I'm also doing a continuous water change which bring it down some.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back