Mattgsa 315 gallon build

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but the CO2 is controlled with a float switch. I can increase the pressure on the regulator?

I'm not really familiar with the design. Increasing the pressure might work or the float switch might just shut off sooner. Could be worth a try though. Could the float switch be adjusted somehow to not shut off as soon?

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, so I upped the pressure on my CO2 regulator to match the head pressure of the pump per @Dennis Cartier suggestion. In an abundance of caution, I lowered the dose overnight to roughly a quarter of what it was. I didn't want the Alk to spike while I was sleeping. That turned out to be the right choice since the ALK climbed over.2 DKH while I was sleeping on a quarter of the dose. All that being said I think Cartier was right, my regulator pressure was too low and was being overpowered by the head pressure on the pump. Now to get the dos dialed in.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, tonight, I'm going to disconnect the reactor from the return pump, and just have the DOS pull water from the sump. That way I can reduce the pressure on the regulator back down, I don't want to run the risk of messing up the reactor.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, tonight, I'm going to disconnect the reactor from the return pump, and just have the DOS pull water from the sump. That way I can reduce the pressure on the regulator back down, I don't want to run the risk of messing up the reactor.
Well due to a mishap with some tea at lunch I was forced to go home and change. So while I was there I disconnected the reactor from the return pump and just have it drawing from the sump. I also lowered the pressure on the regulator to 8psi.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking today about replacing the two gyr's with two more Neros on the back wall. I just don't know if 4 Neros is enough for the tank.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to Saturday, going to pick up some more corals.
I don't think you are allowed to get any more corals until you post some pics of your last batch. ;Hilarious;Hilarious

I have been thinking today about replacing the two gyr's with two more Neros on the back wall. I just don't know if 4 Neros is enough for the tank.
I have no experience with the Nero powerheads, but my understanding is that they are not overly powerful. Would you have to sell the gyres in order to buy the Nero's?? If not you could always try it out before you get rid of the gyres, and then if you determine it is not enough flow you could just swap the gyres back in.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you are allowed to get any more corals until you post some pics of your last batch. ;Hilarious;Hilarious

I have no experience with the Nero powerheads, but my understanding is that they are not overly powerful. Would you have to sell the gyres in order to buy the Nero's?? If not you could always try it out before you get rid of the gyres, and then if you determine it is not enough flow you could just swap the gyres back in.
Well i was going too but you all have seen those particular corals in every tank on the site. The green slimmer and the forest fire. Not to mention all the pictures I take turn out terrible and you wouldn't be able to see them.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here are are the new corals. Since I don't have a camera that is worth its weight in salt. I got @FarmerTy permission to use some of his pics. Here is a link to his site, I strongly recommend him. (Disclaimer: all these pictures are off FarmerTy site)

FarmerTy Eternal Flame
1635624732734.png
Inland Cyclops
1635624795055.png
ORA Bellina
1635624827344.png
RR Olympus
1635624880613.png
RR Pink Floyd
1635624955581.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was also looking around the tank and found this
IMG_1018.jpg

I don't know what type of algae it is, but I wasn't going to take a chance. I took the whole rock out of the tank and letting dry out in the utility sink in the garage. After that, I took the opportunity to siphon up all the detritus there in the corner.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I know I have heard of this calculator before, but I had completely forgotten about it. However, I will be using it a lot now.
1636033500154.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright something went really wrong. When I got home I wanted to use the calculator I mentioned above, but when I tested the reagent I diluted with tank water by half. The test came back at 8.4. So I checked the tank at it was at 6.09 dkh. When I went to check the co2 it was at 0 psi to the reactor. I don't know how that happened, I tightened the knob and the pressure went back up to 10psi. I left it for a couple of hours to see if the alk comes back up. I just check the alk again without diluting it and it came back at 8.03 dkh.

Here is the part that really has me perplexed the Trident was reading 8.4 all day today. I'm wondering if the reagent for the Hanna is wrong. I didn't want to over react so I only put in about 50mls of two part half my normal dose. I also replaced all the reagents in the Trident, and am doing a calibration now. I will keep and eye on it and order some more reagent for the Hanna.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I was up late working on the tank checking out the calcium reactor, and when I was half asleep, I didn't put things back right, and the tube for the calcium reactor flooded the house last night. Since I had the pump set at 45ml's a minute, it was not that bad, but still not what I wanted to wake up to in the morning. So my next house will have a floor drain.

Last edited:

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I was up late working on the tank checking out the calcium reactor, and apparently, when I'm half asleep I don't put things back right, and the tube for the calcium reactor flooded the house last night. Since I had the pump set at 45ml's a minute it was not that bad, but still not what I wanted to wake up to in the morning. My next house will have a floor drain.
ugh. The number of times I've said to myself "I probably should do this another time when I have time to see it run" or something along those lines. And did it anyway.

Where I have been disciplined about not messing with stuff is the day (or two) before leaving on vacation. I don't mess with ANYTHING just before leaving.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reactor ALK is at 8.3DKH. I'm so ready to toss this reactor in the trash. I just spent a bunch of money on corals and the reactor isn't working at all. I'm having to use two-part. In a last-ditch attempt to save the reactor I turned off the dosing pump and I will let it sit overnight to see it will raise the ALK.

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back