Alk 8.8
Calc 430
Mag 1360
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Phos 0.024
Reef Breeder Photon LEDs

So I've had this clam for 3 weeks or so now and it looked great at the LFS and had for a couple weeks. Put it in my tank and literally the next day it wasn't open as much as it was in the store. Within that first week the part of the mantle at the end of the clam was recessed.

I've checked it for snail and other critters, can't find anything. Wasn't sure if it was still acclimating. Only fish in the tank are a clown and a yellow tang. It's very reactive to light change, even just standing up or walking past it closes then opens back up. About a week like this with no change, for no apparent reason I noticed it was open more and the receding part of the mantle was nearly back to normal.

After the lights had been on for 4 hours, that part started to recede again and stayed that way the rest of the day.

I kept an eye on it yesterday and at that time change for ramping up the LEDs I took note of the time and % when it started to recede and changed the lamp to only ramp up to the set point before this. Ramp up to basically 45% instead of up to 65%.

So after that change today, the clam looked very very well the first half of the day, open as fully as you would expect a healthy maxima to open. Then within the past hour (so lights had been on 6.5 hours or so) that end of the clam is receding again!

Is this a light issue or something else going on? I have an MP40 on reef crest, at different parts of the day is it possible it's in too high flow of an area?

Going to talk with my LFS after I get off work (the tank is at my office). But I'm stumped and thought I'd ask here too. I had a maxima in the past and had it for several years before taking a break from the hobby. The current tank has been setup as is for about 2 years.

The clam is 5-6" in size.

IMG_2360.JPG

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, I would suggest getting the nitrates up a bit. Let see we can get you more answers:)

@DSC reef

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's not persistent, then I don't think it's a clear sign of any distress. I would agree with raising the nitrates a bit though, they won't do as well when the nutrients are that low. I think you may simply have to watch it over the days and weeks to see how it does, since there aren't enough clues for any solid conclusion.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like he needs to acclimate to your LEDs. I would decrease duration and intensity.and slowly bring them back up.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any typical ruffling on the mantle. I agree with above posts, looks to be like a light acclimation. Clams don't like to clean of a tank. Make sure the flow isn't to strong for the clam, typically you'd see it moving if it didn't like the spot it was in. I would definitely lower the intensity of the lights and slowly acclimate the clam. That's a really maxima too, the colors are beautiful.

OP
OP
Ares

Ares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for all the replies
I hadn't thought about the nitrates being too low.

Below is a picture this morning. The previous picture was a week or so old. But you can see the mantle is extended further this morning. This is how it's been the last several mornings. I'll keep an eye on it and see if anything changes over the next several days. The LEDs are already turned down. I'm feeding my corals today so the extra nutrients in the water column may have a positive effect too.

IMG_2391.jpg

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't like the edge of the mantle. Look up pinched mantle disease and keep a close eye. Don't want to rush to judgement but if it is pinched mantle a freshwater dip might be in order. Keep us updated on its condition.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After keeping clams and watching threads for quite a few years now I think many clam deaths are due to livestock (fish), even a couple nibbles a day can be enough to stop a clam from extending. I have personally had many "clam safe" fish like kole and purple tangs nip at clams and Paul B says his large bristle worms will kill them. The only way I found out about my fish was to set up my phone to record hours at a time as I never saw it in person.

You could try putting a clear plastic container over the clam and see if the extension improves. I know many people have all sorts of fish with clams with no issue, however individuals of species vary greatly and there are so many mysterious clam deaths that I feel are related to fish that people just never know what killed them.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After keeping clams and watching threads for quite a few years now I think many clam deaths are due to livestock (fish), even a couple nibbles a day can be enough to stop a clam from extending. I have personally had many "clam safe" fish like kole and purple tangs nip at clams and Paul B says his large bristle worms will kill them. The only way I found out about my fish was to set up my phone to record hours at a time as I never saw it in person.
I've seen my Kole Tang accidently nipped at the clam mantle when its trying to nip the algae at the shell edge near the mantle and cause the clam retracted, now that part DID NOT extent like its used to be but still healthy, I'll wait and see how long for the clam going back to its normal.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good you have not seen it snag the mantle on purpose. I made a thread about my experiences with the tangs and clams here a couple years ago, but I had 1 kole, 2 white-tail and 1 purple tang all start biting mantels (of course this was over years and different tanks). It may haves started with them eating off the shell, but when I found them on video it was very distinctly bites on the mantle. I wonder if they accidently got the mantle once and then started eating the slime, no clue but I had to rehome the tangs and this occurred a few times of a number of years and even with clowns trying to host. Tank had autofeeder pelltes 5x/day, LRS and nori added daily.

Not saying for sure it is going on here, but just be aware. I think many times people think "clam safe" fish and don't think about the fish causing issues, but it happens a lot. Like I said I would not have seen it if not time lapse phone on the clam for hours.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI - if you decide to do it, I have never had a clam get mad about going for a temp and PH adjusted freshwater dip. When I put them back in the tank, they are out and active like nothing every happened. I know that I was more scare the first time than the clam probably was.

I am not saying to do a FW dip, you have to figure that out... but if you do decide to do a FW dip, don't be too scared.

OP
OP
Ares

Ares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it didn't continue to get better, just plateaued and looked pretty good most of the day (but not quite right) then would retract later in the day.
I've seen my yellow tang pick at it to get any algae but not at the mantle.

I talked to my LFS and they did not like the idea of a 20 minute FWD. I know an article on here says it's fine and others have had luck but they recommended much less time. I dipped it for 5 minutes after getting RO water up to temp and it's been 2 days, the extension is more and it went all day yesterday without receding late in the photo period like it has been.

Who knows if it is the tang or something else that the FWD took care of but it looks better, more open, still very reactive to light change etc.

Still something to keep an eye on but at least now I'm not fearful the clam will continue downhill and die. It looks healthy and happy.

And yea JDA, that was weird doing the FWD. Kinda like the first time you frag some zoas, keeping them out of water for a chunk of time and taking the scalpel to them lol.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how the FWD effecting the clam health since the shell tightly close during the duration for 20 minutes, I did FWD (20 minutes) 1 of my clam during the change of its placement and clean up the Aiptasia, cutting its old byssal thread that holding on some piece of tiny rocks. The shell stay closed the whole time and only the byssal hole are getting bath with FW so my guess the FW might kill off some bad bacteria on that part and make your clam "feel" better, it's my guess since I don't see anything getting worse or getting better from my clam after 20 minutes FWD :p Oh, I noticed the FW in the bucket smell really bad after that 20 minutes, something must be dying off in the water but I could not see with my naked eyes.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back