Maxspect Gyres are trash!!!

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Maxspect and red sea gyres. I haven't had the 1st issue with either of them. I do agree that constantly taking them apart to clean unless you are adept at things like that isn't wise. It's best to just soak them and roll with it. I don't even soak mine. I don't think you should expect anything used in saltwater to last. Try owning a boat. Things break down when you are not even using it. Salt has a way of destroying things no matter the level of maintenance.

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had issues with Maxspect and Icecap both. Switched to the cheaper more powerful Jabao gyre's over two years ago and never looked back.

alain Bouchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 icecaps 3k that I have been running since they first came out (about 3-4 years ago). still running like new. Changed the bushings only once. I take them apart for cleaning at about 2-3 month interval. I NEVER use vinegar or any other acid, long term, they are bad on plastic and rubber. Only running water and a denture brush; takes about 15min/pump. I have one of the maxspect gyre for another tank for a few month, thought it looked more fragile and was a PITA to take apart and clean.

Andrew Mc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the first I have heard of vinegar being the cause of a ruptured shaft magnet!?! I religiously cleaned my two XF230s in a diluted vinegar solution and they ran great for almost 2 years. Then I took them out of service as I was breaking down my tank at the time. Came back a year later and both magnets are ruptured and stuck inside the motor. After sending photos to Coralvue support, they basically told me to replace the shaft and motor blocks for each pump. That will easily exceed $250, which is roughly what two XF230 pumps sold for at retail. Has Coralvue addressed the notion that vinegar can create issues when used to clean gyres?

What I don't care for in the least is the obvious strategy behind Maxspect's introduction of "new" gyre models every 2 years which are always incompatible with any of the predecessor models. Rather than refine their technology and improve successor models so as to eliminate known issues, Maxspect mixes up their product line simply to assure obsolescence for profit's sake, rather than fix design or manufacturing flaws. If you look at the support forum, the folks with the latest gyres are complaining of the exact same issues that the ones with the XF130s... None of the issues are solved on a permanent basis.

IMHO it is a crappy business model and I am out of love with Coralvue. It was a good romance while it lasted.

Will stick with Tunze and Eheim.

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CoralVue has the worst customer service of any moderate to high priced equipment I have experienced in the industry. Honestly the best experience I've ever had is Ecotech hands down

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s unfortunate to hear. I’ve had two MP40 wetsides go with the magnets rusting and they never saw a drop of cleaning solution, just tap water and a brush. They did replace them though. I had an issue with one of my gyres and was sent a new motor block, but this was under warranty. I will say that I’ve never had an issue with my Tunze’s, nearly 7 years old and still going strong.

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They just sent me replacement motor blocks after attaching photos they requested, I had them the next day,

Sorry to hear about your gyres, I have a old xf150 that still rips and is surprisingly quiet, They really aren't garbage gyres. It seems you've had a rough go of it though. Hope it works out.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is the first I have heard of vinegar being the cause of a ruptured shaft magnet!?! I religiously cleaned my two XF230s in a diluted vinegar solution and they ran great for almost 2 years. Then I took them out of service as I was breaking down my tank at the time. Came back a year later and both magnets are ruptured and stuck inside the motor. After sending photos to Coralvue support, they basically told me to replace the shaft and motor blocks for each pump. That will easily exceed $250, which is roughly what two XF230 pumps sold for at retail. Has Coralvue addressed the notion that vinegar can create issues when used to clean gyres?

What I don't care for in the least is the obvious strategy behind Maxspect's introduction of "new" gyre models every 2 years which are always incompatible with any of the predecessor models. Rather than refine their technology and improve successor models so as to eliminate known issues, Maxspect mixes up their product line simply to assure obsolescence for profit's sake, rather than fix design or manufacturing flaws. If you look at the support forum, the folks with the latest gyres are complaining of the exact same issues that the ones with the XF130s... None of the issues are solved on a permanent basis.

IMHO it is a crappy business model and I am out of love with Coralvue. It was a good romance while it lasted.

Will stick with Tunze and Eheim.
Do you think you might be jumping to a conclusion - They have indeed 'addressed' cleaning with vinegar - and there is no problem:

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just as a general note with cleaning pumps, I never soak magnetic or motor blocks in vinegar, but if you do, then it should be less than an hour. I usually soak plastic parts (guards, cages, etc) in vinegar and the magnetic/motor parts in citric acid. I find that warm/hot water and a stiff brush will take care of the motor blocks for general cleaning, but for a deep clean once a year, then it gets citric acid for a couple hours. I never soak a pump intact, it always gets disassembled.

Andrew Mc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So CoralVue says vinegar is fine, whereas the folks in this post say it isn't. At the end of the day I have two ruptured shaft magnets on gyres that haven't even seen three years of service.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So CoralVue says vinegar is fine, whereas the folks in this post say it isn't. At the end of the day I have two ruptured shaft magnets on gyres that haven't even seen three years of service.
I would call Coralvue and ask them why they think its ok? Maybe they can give you a refund - or a replacement. My guess is that there are multiple reasons for your problem, and Coralvue states vinegar is not one of them. Does that mean I think its 'ok' that a magnet is broken after <3 years? No.

BTW - I do not think Coralvue recommends soaking vinegar - for long periods, etc. etc. There are probably numerous variables at play. But - what seems odd to me - is that you said - you had no problems for 2 years - the problem came after you left them 'out of service for a year'. Is it possible that the way they were stored (hot location), what they were last soaked in (i.e. vinegar) - caused the plastic to 'change', etc?

Andrew Mc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralvue told me to pound sand and pony up for new blocks, shafts, etc. which would amount to over $200 to repair an issue that could easily reappear in a few years.

The pumps were stored indoors in my air conditioned home after taken directly from the aquarium and placed into rubbermaid bins. As were my Siccie pumps and Tunze pumps. Only the Gyres had ruptured, rusted, seized magnetic shafts.

645C8EA6-0154-460E-B5D7-B3E44380E0AE_1_201_a.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Coralvue told me to pound sand and pony up for new blocks, shafts, etc. which would amount to over $200 to repair an issue that could easily reappear in a few years.

The pumps were stored indoors in my air conditioned home after taken directly from the aquarium and placed into rubbermaid bins. As were my Siccie pumps and Tunze pumps. Only the Gyres had ruptured, rusted, seized magnetic shafts.

645C8EA6-0154-460E-B5D7-B3E44380E0AE_1_201_a.jpeg
The reason I answered the way I did - is that I had the same problem with the magnets after storing them for a bit of time - and I never used vinegar. I believe they either replaced the magnets - OR - Gave me a discount - but it was a while ago - and I've since upgraded. I wish I could remember more about what they said as to the potential causes.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Vinegar is fine for very short cleanings, I would say less than an hour and that’s with a very diluted solution. I think people were soaking things overnight, which is a big no no.
I would agree that a lot of equipment we use in our tanks should last for years when properly taken care of and it sucks when this happens. I would reach out to them again and plead your case. Kill them with kindness. Good luck!

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 2 fX350's used about a year ago. They were 6 months old when I got them. I don't run them over about 30% in either direction. They seem to run fine. I clean them with a light bleach water and then 60:40 vinegar water every three months. I don't let them soak very long in either solution.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I bought 2 fX350's used about a year ago. They were 6 months old when I got them. I don't run them over about 30% in either direction. They seem to run fine. I clean them with a light bleach water and then 60:40 vinegar water every three months. I don't let them soak very long in either solution.
One comment - not for you because you've been doing this a while:). Never mix bleach and vinegar. If you use both, make sure whichever one you use first is well rinsed off:).

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when citric acid is widely available, can even be delivered to your door and represents a safe way to clean aquarium equipment its beyond me why anyone is using vinegar or an other destructive cleaners anymore.
2/3 of time i clean my gyres i don't even disconnect or disassemble them. mix the citric acid solution in a pail and one at a time let the pump operate for 30 mins in the bath, 5 mins in a rodi bath and back in the tank it goes then the same steps for the second one.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
when citric acid is widely available, can even be delivered to your door and represents a safe way to clean aquarium equipment its beyond me why anyone is using vinegar or an other destructive cleaners anymore.
2/3 of time i clean my gyres i don't even disconnect or disassemble them. mix the citric acid solution in a pail and one at a time let the pump operate for 30 mins in the bath, 5 mins in a rodi bath and back in the tank it goes then the same steps for the second one.
What would you consider the difference between vinegar (dilute) - and citric acid? They are both 'weak acids' - and from my experience, citric acid is more acidic than acetic acid (vinegar). So - if its the 'acid' that is supposedly causing damage - wouldn't citric acid be harsher? Or do you think there is another factor?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back