Mean Sixline Wrasse

AyoItsRocco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to begin, lost my Royal Gramma last night because he jumped out of the tank and I never found him. So I added a Leopard Wrasse in his place. I knew it was a gamble but i went with it anyways. Well the acclimation went as bad as it could. Sixline Wrasse instantly started attacking the Leopard Wrassd. So went to the LFS again and they let me borrow an acclimation box for my tank. So to this, i know i should put the sixline in the box but I cant catch him, will it do the same to keep the leopard in there and how long does it normally take to get those guys under control? Thanks in advanced!

OP
OP
AyoItsRocco

AyoItsRocco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not going to! Six line is a missile with teeth! Lol.. wait till he’s sleeping and net him out.. or a blow dart works good at feeding time :winking-face-with-tongue:
I honestly hate my sixline wrasse, never liked him from the start yet i still got him, but he was chill with the gramma

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake of trying to add another wrasse wile having a six. He obviously killed it however it’s not aggressive towards any other fish in the tank

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly hate my sixline wrasse, never liked him from the start yet i still got him, but he was chill with the gramma
I had to get rid of mine awhile back.. he wouldn’t let me put any fish in my tank.. I made a real long shank and was gonna stab him while he was sleeping in his rock but I couldn’t get a clean shot haha! I grabbed my net and slid him right over into it and to the sump he went.. he never woke up till he was out of the water

OP
OP
AyoItsRocco

AyoItsRocco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made the mistake of trying to add another wrasse wile having a six. He obviously killed it however it’s not aggressive towards any other fish in the tank
Yeah I read that they can be chill with different species, LFS shop said it "could" work but its a gamble ofc

OP
OP
AyoItsRocco

AyoItsRocco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to get rid of mine awhile back.. he wouldn’t let me put any fish in my tank.. I made a real long shank and was gonna stab him while he was sleeping in his rock but I couldn’t get a clean shot haha! I grabbed my net and slid him right over into it and to the sump he went.. he never woke up till he was out of the water
Gotcha must be hard sleepers
Thats probably what I will try to do, as i said before never really liked him from the start, but you learn from your mistakes I guess.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to begin, lost my Royal Gramma last night because he jumped out of the tank and I never found him. So I added a Leopard Wrasse in his place. I knew it was a gamble but i went with it anyways. Well the acclimation went as bad as it could. Sixline Wrasse instantly started attacking the Leopard Wrassd. So went to the LFS again and they let me borrow an acclimation box for my tank. So to this, i know i should put the sixline in the box but I cant catch him, will it do the same to keep the leopard in there and how long does it normally take to get those guys under control? Thanks in advanced!
Unfortunately nothing will calm a six line when it hates something.
Best thing you can do is just pull your rockwork out and drain the water down during a water change to get him out.

OP
OP
AyoItsRocco

AyoItsRocco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately nothing will calm a six line when it hates something.
Best thing you can do is just pull your rockwork out and drain the water down during a water change to get him out.
I was actually reading some of the traps people have made to get there wrasses out, some are pretty creative. I may try that becuase my blenny hides under my base rock and thats my boy, dont wanna scare him off :grinning-face-with-sweat:

OP
OP
AyoItsRocco

AyoItsRocco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update ish, trying to trap this piece of **** 6-line, and nothings working so far, tried netting him, failed, tried trapping, trapped my blenny instead :grinning-face-with-sweat: ,any other tips yall can give me for trapping this little demon?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So update ish, trying to trap this piece of **** 6-line, and nothings working so far, tried netting him, failed, tried trapping, trapped my blenny instead :grinning-face-with-sweat: ,any other tips yall can give me for trapping this little demon?
Honestly, it all comes down to patience unfortunately…
Good luck though and hopefully he’s gone soon!

The other option is…
*Nom nom*
4F4FE9C4-600A-480A-86FC-D04A1A270373.jpeg

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one, it did not try to kill other fish. But it was obvious there was no hesitation to. Like if one accidentally bumped it during feeding time, it would be all 'EXCUSE me?????" and do this squaring off thing with little darts at the 'offending' fish. Didn't matter how much bigger the other fish was.

The final straw was when it started to deliberately hunt the hermit crabs. You could see their intelligence while they studied and watched for opportunity. It also would wait until the hermit was high up on a rock and struggling to get over a bump then rush at it to make it panic/retreat and lose grip. Then it would dive down if the crab landed on its back. You could tell the 6 line 'understood' that was their most vulnerable.. how the crabs would have pull most of their body out to right the shell. During this period the crabs were terrorized so bad they were not coming out during lights on and so the algae were starting to get bad on the rocks.

It was very bold, curious and such a pig and was easy to catch using a tall clear plastic deli cup with frozen mysis placed at the bottom of it. Set upright in a corner so all I did was yank that cup up.

Perhaps acclimate them to the plastic cup, let it eat out from the inside a couple times. On You Go Away Day, put on a lid with a reasonable size so chances of escape are reduced, especially in bigger tanks or tricky spots where quick action is not feasible?

MBruun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a fishtrap you can try the mirror trick.
Put the trap up against the side of the tank and tape a small mirror on the outside, so when the fish (sixline) look in the trap it see the another sixline

Rocktron1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 6line is in a 25g waterbox with 3 other fish and gets on fine (banana wrasse, bi colour blenny and a smll Brown scomos tang), but had another fish that was a problem picking in the banana wrasse

Made a simple trap- cut the top off a 1.25L bottle of coke , turn it around and shove inside the main part of bottle, drop some food in and leave overnight. Might take a while and you might get the wrong fish a few times but it does work. I was lucky and got the right fish 1st night
IMG20220907125942.jpg

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a trait of Six lines... If you want to protect your reef get more peaceful wrasses that will do the job. I have three in my tank and one, the Melanarus is the "pest guard". She hunts for pests all day long. She's great with everyone in the tank and no issues.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 161 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back