Measuring PAR

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time using a PAR meter, and have a question with hope that someone here can help me with.

I made a measurement with the "White" and "Red" channel at 0%, which is the way I like it as I don't like the white washout or red color to the tank - rather have Blue. The par value measured is low if I don't turn up the White channel - for example in the middle of the tank, it's coming up as 100. I want it to be 135, and can only achieve so if I turn up the whites.

I guess then the question is to achieve PAR readings that are needed by the coral, should I be turning up the whites, or is it just that my light needs to be upgraded to something more powerful that will deliver all the blues at the PAR of 135.

Thanks

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time using a PAR meter, and have a question with hope that someone here can help me with.

I made a measurement with the "White" and "Red" channel at 0%, which is the way I like it as I don't like the white washout or red color to the tank - rather have Blue. The par value measured is low if I don't turn up the White channel - for example in the middle of the tank, it's coming up as 100. I want it to be 135, and can only achieve so if I turn up the whites.

I guess then the question is to achieve PAR readings that are needed by the coral, should I be turning up the whites, or is it just that my light needs to be upgraded to something more powerful that will deliver all the blues at the PAR of 135.

Thanks
What meter are you using? Some meters are not the greatest underwater and a conversion factor has to be used to get real par.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’ll want to do one of the two options you listed. If you want to use only blue, and also need more par, more light will be necessary. Either in the form of a full upgrade to something with higher wattage or more diodes, or accept some full spectrum white in the mix. Either way, more photons are needed

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back