Meet Loki..

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to switch to frozen, you can always just go to your local seafood market and pick up a mixture of different seafoods. I do this so that my Lionfish get variety and it actually ends up being cheaper than buying several different frozen fish food packages. I get things like squid, clams, scallops, prawns, and salmon and then chop it up into appropriately sized chunks and freeze cubes of this mix. If you're scared of using a sharp stick, as someone else said, the long aquarium tongs work great. I have a set of the 12" ones and the 18" ones that I use for feeding.

Have you tried live ghost shrimp as a live food source? If you can't find any locally, they're pretty easy to order online at a reasonable price.

MUSBFRANK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't waste your time with live food unless absolutely necessary, meaning if it hasn't taken to frozen yet. Volitans are the easiest of the Lions to train onto frozen, depending on the size, either frozen sand eels or silversides will get him/her going relatively quickly. Just completely thaw one out and drop into the tank close to him, of course insuring the silverside/eel sinks, you may have to gently squeeze the air out of it to achieve this. Try this for several days and eventually (if not immediately) he will snatched it on the way down because it's actually a fish/eel with eyes and recognizable as a natural food source. They're predators so you don't have to run out and grab live food to feed it just because it takes a couple days to train them, it'll be fine. Feeding him live food will only teach him to go after live food only, but after he starts eating the silversides, everything from krill to squid will be gravy, I've had them even eat flake food.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back