Meet the R2R Moderator Team!!

Discussion in 'Meet & Greet Forum' started by revhtree, Sep 19, 2014.

1. hybridazn

hybridazn Acro killer..... Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award 3RMAS Member Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor

Hi everyone! Just wanted to update my previous thread. I still have the 180 up and running and nothing much has changed since the last update post. Well, there was one major "upgrade"

FB_IMG_1520638136573.jpg
    Meet Sofia Rose Sebek. She's now almost 9 months old and one of the loves of my life.

FB_IMG_1521504010726.jpg

Here is a picture of Sofia with her older sister Jasmine who is now 5 years old.

Other than that I can only suggest checking out my build thread if you want the up and up on my tank haha.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hybridazns-180-gallon-build.189795/

And lastly I just want to thank the membership for making this forum so awesome! Without you we would be stuck here by ourselves and it would be boring, I can only pick on these guys and gals so much everyday lol.

2. Shep

Shep Acan Connoisseur Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa

[​IMG]

First Name: Tom

Why You chose your screen name: Have used it since I first started playing online games, and its just stuck since then!

Current Tank Specs: 40g tank that is in the works

Build Thread: Do not currently have one since starting the new tank up :( Battling an algae problem already

Area of strength in the hobby: LPS/Acans mostly

Favorite hobby outside reefing: Outdoor type things, hiking, biking, rock climbing, SCUBA diving, ect (and video games!)

How long have you been reef keeping: About 6 years give or take

3. cameronh

cameronh Valuable Member R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award

Whats up man, long time no talk. Hope all is well.

jsker, kschweer and hybridazn like this.
  4. hybridazn

hybridazn Acro killer..... Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award 3RMAS Member Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Showcase Editor Build Thread Contributor

How's it going? Things are awesome this way haha.

jsker and kschweer like this.
  5. Krzydmnd

Krzydmnd Well-Known Member Reef Tank 365

Nice house!

jsker, WWIII and kschweer like this.
  6. Tahoe61

Tahoe61 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member Moderator Emeritus Build Thread Contributor

r2rupdate.jpg

First Name: Cheryl

Why You chose your screen name: Born and raised in N. Lake Tahoe in 1961.

Current Tank Specs: IM Nuvo 40 gallons, newly started.

Build Thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/giving-up-was-never-an-option.368850/

Area of strength in the hobby: Biology, Identifications.

Favorite hobby outside reefing: Camping, Music.

How long have you been reef keeping: 31 years.

7. d2mini

d2mini Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

First Name:
    Dennis

Why You chose your screen name:
    It's an old screen name from my mini cooper days.
    The "d2" i use a lot because of my two "D" initials in my full name. Friends used to call me d2 or d-squared.

Current Tank Specs:
    Elos 120XL (approx dims: 47"x31"x19")

Area of strength in the hobby:
    Building a system to fit (aesthetically and proportionally) into the given space, and then piecing that system together from start to finish, keeping it fairly organized and as simple as possible.
    I rely on some of the more old school techniques/equipment, trying not to get too caught up in all the new gear and trends, unless I truly see an advantage.
    I also have an affinity for a more "natural" looking reef with sponges, gorgonians and interesting inverts.

Favorite hobby outside reefing:
    Photography, Cars (currently a Jeep Wrangler), keeping fit (getting into body building this year and in the best shape of my life at 44).

How long have you been reefkeeping:
    Dabbled a little previously but in it full time for the past 11 years.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Maritimer

Maritimer Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Build Thread Contributor

First Name:
    Bruce

Why You chose your screen name:
    I work two jobs - one pays the bills, the other feeds my soul. That one is "Education Lite" at the local Public Aquarium, The Maritime Aquarium at Norwalk. Thirty years ago, I saw a little storefront office, stepped inside and offered my services as a volunteer. Been there ever since.

Current Tank Specs:
    My current obsession ... erm, _tank_ - is a 220 gallon that I picked up when my then fave LFS was in the throes of closing down. There are a brace of MarsAqua "black boxes" hanging above it, and a 40-Breeder underneath it. Inside the 40-B, there are three socks, a block of Marine-Pure with a basket of rubble on top of it, a Deltec 1455 skimmer, a couple of bags of carbon/GFO, and a Fluval-Sea SP-6 to push water back to the display. Once it gets there, there are a brace of Gyre X-50 powerheads to keep that water moving. They're running on one controller, and set to forward/reverse flow mode, with their timings just a bit off, so that the patterns change throughout the day.

There's another block of Marine-Pure buried beneath the right-hand rock formation, which offers a lower flow habitat for ... whatever wants to hide there. Rock in this tank is a combination of Pukani (purchased as "airfreight" rock, but arrived with no sign of multicellular life), "dead" shelf and branch rock, and 60# of _live_ rock from the Florida Keys. That stuff, algaes, hitchhiking pests and all, just makes the tank infinitely more fascinating!

Most corals seem to be doing well: SPS, zoanthids, faviids - even one or two things I can't identify, but _acans_ can't seem to get along here.
    20180404_170412.jpg

Build Thread:
    https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/zoeys-reef-is-growing-up.271001/#post-3252345

"Kingston & Zoey's Reef" is dedicated to two of my grandchildren, who were stillborn. It's a "warts-and-all" build thread, documenting the bad days and the good.

Area of strength in the hobby:
    I think I'm moderately competent when it comes to fish and invertebrate identification and behavior, and I've had to learn more than I ever wanted to about diseases and what makes 'em go away. I seem to spend a lot of time in the disease forum . . .

Favorite hobby outside reefing:
    Once upon a time, I spent every moment I could outside; fishing, hiking, biking, hunting, kayaking, Scuba diving and snorkeling. I'm hoping someday, that'll become a passion again. Each year, a group of friends and I head out into the wild Atlantic Ocean for encounters with big, charismatic wildlife: dolphins, whales ... and sharks. That's a fun swim!
    Bruce Shillinglaw, 2017 Shark Dive (Joe Lockridge).jpg

I've also loved traveling when I get the chance, but don't often get the chance. My most recent vacation, as of this writing, was in 2010 - but it was a doozey, a visit to Kyoto.

I do like to draw things, and have been fascinated by paleontology since I was a lad, so drew some dinosaurs and illustrated a children's book or two back in the day.

How long have you been reef keeping:
    In this most recent iteration, I re-started just about two and a half years ago, with a 65 gallon reef. I had a 55 gallon for a while, back in ... 1986 or so? It's not really the same hobby any more . . .

The 65 stayed up for about a year and a half, with considerable overlap before finally moving everything into the 220.

More Info:
    I think I got my first tank when I was about seven. That one had a metal frame, and was filtered by a state-of-the-art plastic box in the back right corner, filled with glass-fibre "angel hair". (Other than being submersible - I don't think _heaters_ have changed very much since then!) That tank, with its steel frame, held fresh water - which is OK, because that's all anyone was keeping in those days. It wasn't until later, when tanks were made from glass and silicone, that saltwater began to take off - and the _colors_ of those blue damselfish!!! Being a kid with a paper route, I couldn't well afford such an expensive hobby, but had plenty of time during the summers to go down to the shore and collect native marine fish, from killies and pipefish to young flounders and blackfish (a cold-water wrasse). We'd even go out to Long Island once a year with the local Aquarium Society, and collect tropical fish that drifted north on the Gulf Stream: butterflies, sea-horses, Boston-bean boxfish, a few different kinds of filefish, lookdowns and even small barracuda.

I've had at least a freshwater tank ever since, but stepped away from salt while my kids were young, and then as my wife became more and more ill. After she passed away in 2015, the reef-bug bit pretty hard - it's probably my version of the "red sportscar".

There's one other thing that keeps me (mostly) sane: two kids (one of each) and two vibrant, delightful granddaughters.
    Granddaughters on Christmas, 2017.jpg

~Bruce, who's utterly fascinated by the natural world, and gets a strong sense of satisfaction from helping others experience that wonder and find success in their own reefing endeavors

Evan28395950, cracker, Rob.D and 14 others like this.
  9. mahindra.dev

mahindra.dev Euphyllia Lover R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Bump....

This is so cool to read.. Thank you for everything you all do!!!

jsker, Maritimer, GoVols and 4 others like this.
  10. ourcoralreef

ourcoralreef Valuable Member

I have mine prepared so whenever you guys want you can crown me

siggy, jsker, Maritimer and 5 others like this.
  11. Crabs Mcjones

Crabs Mcjones Millepora Maniac Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

Name: Zach
    Year started reefing: 2015
    Why you choose your user name and avatar: My wife actually gave me the nickname crabs mcjones so I've kind of stuck with it. And my avatar is tamatoa from the movie Moana, because hes a crab, and I'm crabs;)
    Favorite fish: Yellow Eye Kole Tang
    Favorite coral: Rose Garden Millepora
    And a little about yourself: I am happily married, my wife's name is Katherine and we have two children. A 5 (soon to be 6) year old nammed Grace, and a 1 year old named Paige. We live in Wisconsin but have hopes in the future to move down south. In my free time I enjoy being outside with my family going on bike rides and playing at the park. I also enjoy working on cars. I've rebuild engines and transmissions on both my own and family members vehicles. When my children allow me to i'm also an avid video game player. I really like first person shooter as well as puzzle games and RPG's.
    Build Thread Link: Crab's 40 Gallon Breeder

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  12. 143MPCo

143MPCo ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND R2R Supporter CTARS Member Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Moderator Emeritus Article Contributor Reef Squad Emeritus

You all look weird except for Joshporksandwich he looks normal! ;)

13. KJ

KJ Road Warrior R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award ETRC Member

How are you doing Alex?

14. 143MPCo

143MPCo ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND R2R Supporter CTARS Member Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Moderator Emeritus Article Contributor Reef Squad Emeritus

I'm good brotha, how are things with you?

15. ourcoralreef

Dono if your joking

None of them look weird to me
    They are really nice hardworking people that take extra time out of their days to make sure the forum doesn’t loose its values and become the Wild West

16. 143MPCo

oh yeah and Ford buy a Chrysler for Christ's sake! :p

siggy, jsker, Flippers4pups and 3 others like this.
  17. Captain Quint

Captain Quint Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor

Yeah, no joke. All Y'all do owner/admin & Mods is no joke. It is hard work and the reason we tune in to no spam, ill threads, and IB's...it is a hard job many don't have an idea of all involved. ESPECIALLY on a forum of this size. Honestly, I don't know how just the few can keep up with all the work. I salute all of you!

18. kschweer

kschweer Zoas!!! Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 NJRC Member

He’s definitely joking. Alex is good friends with all of us.

19. dbl

dbl It Takes Less Energy to be Nice Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor

For the record, we've all known Alex @143MPCo for a long time and is a good friend of ours. He's definitely just giving us the business.

20. ourcoralreef

If you guys are ok with it im definitely fine with it
    Keep up the good work
    Still waiting for the crown next to my name
    No need to make me a mod though unless its a requirement for the crown ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted