Melanarus wrasse quarantine

Squeaky McMurdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting a melanarus wrasse from a local woman tomorrow. I know they like to have sand, but do they need it in quarantine? My QT is bare bottom. If absolutely needed I could put a small container of sand in there, but I know sand can absorb medications so I would rather not. I do have a plastic cave and decorations in there to make it more comfortable.

melanotaenia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can put a few rocks together in a pile he will sleep there, and you won't need sand.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
melanarus wrasses burrow in the sand to sleep, and without it they become stressed. They don't sleep in the rocks in a cocoon the way fairies and flashers do. I would use a small dish of sand, a couple inches deep at least (depending on the size of the wrasse).

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use non Caciun carbonate base sand so it does not absorb medication. Cheaper too. Get the sand that they use to mixed concrete or play box sand. These are silica base sand.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good idea, @OrionN .

I have done tank transfer method on Halichoeres wrasses without sand, but that only lasts a little over a week for me. 30+ days in qt, then I would get it some sand.

Back