Melanarus Wrasse

Thraciandrummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
I was thinking of getting a Melanarus Wrasse, but had some concerns. Can a Melanarus be kep with a Coral Banded Shrimp or will it kill the shrimp? This CBS is pretty big. He's grown to over an inch of just body. Add in his arms and tentacles and he's pushing 6 inches. I have had this guy for a while and he molts constantly, so I don't want to put a wrasse in there that kills him. Also, I have some Zoas and some candy cane heads with plans to have more corals added. Will the Melanarus go after whatever corals I have in the tank?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may or may not go after the shrimp, it's a risk.they are completely coral safe.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is with 2 coral banded, peppermint, snails, cleaner shrimp, hermits, pistol shrimp, and Harlequin shrimp. Even added some since after wrasses were big. Have to add things like shrimp at night. My melanurus is approaching 6 inches

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had melanarus wrasse and they are beautiful, really underrated probably due to availability and price but their color is phenomenal. I've had a few that were completely reef safe and had one that picked at my snails but left my shrimp alone.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my favorite wrasses! Def underrated and underappreciated. I've had a couple and never had a problem with corals or shrimps. Seems like they like to pick on snails most of the time

OP
OP
T

Thraciandrummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for the information guys. I'll have to think about whether I want to risk it or not. it seems from this post that it could go either way.

Akida17th

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you have to include the fact that they remove pests and do a darn good job at it since they have a large appetite.

BryanS4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my frag tank and he picks off snails and hermits right away, but can't speak to the shrimp.

Great looking fish though!

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one for years with my shrimp and small fish with no issues. He is a model tank mate. Just keep it fed as most fish when hungry will pick on stuff they should not in order to survive. He has been with blood shrimp, peppermint shrimp and common cleaner with no issues for me. I have had two with the same results.

OP
OP
T

Thraciandrummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I hear that. I have a lot of snails too, so I really wouldn't want one to potentially kill my shrimp and snails. Maybe I'll look into getting a flasher or a fairy Wrasse instead. Not as pretty as the Melanarus imo but they are nice.

Salty0331

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW.....I have had my Melanarus in my mixed reef for two years now. I have a diverse amount of snails, and crabs. I also have a Blood Shrimp too. He has never bothered them or any of my corals. I do however feed my tank a bit on the heavy side so I know he is well fed.

DereksReef77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a melanarus and a 6 line wrasse in my tank with two cleaner shrimp and no problems at all. My melanarus is 4-5 inches long. I keep everything well fed but I have noticed that most of my hermit crabs are disappearing. Go figure. Good luck.

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just picked one up for our reef their beauty is worth the risk to me lol. If it destroys the cuc guess we'll get a blue dot sea hare lol.
IMAG1778.jpg
IMAG1779.jpg

E048

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as invert safe it depends on the individual fish and food and stocking....

My melanrus wrasse killed and ate every shrimp in my tank within a month of being in there

He ate 7-8 peppermints, 2 cleaners, one coral banded, and a fighting conch

I saw him rip the arms off the cb and then eat and bash the rest of the shrimp against the rocks

He got sent to the sump and eventually jumped into the return pump section and died....

They're gorgeous but I wouldn't risk it again

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back