Melanarus Wrassse and Acclimation Boxes

LeprechaunReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be getting a melanarus wrasse this upcoming Wednesday along with a fairy wrasse and flasher. I’m going to use an acclimation box for the fairy and flasher but because the melanarus burrows in the sand to sleep should I introduce him to the display immediately? Fish are coming quarantined so they’re ready for display immediately.

I should add that I already have a Lubbocks fairy wrasse, chalk bass, lawnmower blenny and two clowns in the tank.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fairy wrasse might do ok in the acclimation box, but I'm not sure about the flasher. Every flasher I've every had "played dead" on arrival, even when added immediately to the DT. They don't do well with shipping/acclimation stress. If it seems stressed in the box, I'd probably put the flasher in the DT, along with the melanarus. Don't be too surprised if the melanarus immediately buries in the sand and doesn't come out for days!!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The melanurus may freak out in the box a bit - it'll fair much better if your acclimation box does NOT have a clear bottom.
Otherwise, it might be a safer bet to skip the acclimation box on that one.

Both the fairy and flasher will be fine in the box; give them a single piece of PVC in the box to hide in if they do stress out. It helps a lot.

1ByLand2BySea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep the sand burrowing wrasses without sand and in an acclimation box in a dimmed area for a day or two without any issues. Actually it helps the fish to get synched with the light cycle of your tank. I have found it to work well with Leopard wrasses in the past. But I would suggest keeping each fish in its own acclamation box or compartment.

abreeann

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If got the Eshopps tanklimate w three chambers and a solid blue bottom. Thanks y’all!
If you don't mind, how did you end up liking the Eshopps 3 chamber box? I'll be added a couple new wrasses in a couple months to an established Orangeback fairy who can be a bit bossy and I've been eyeing this one.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back