Melanurus Wrasse with engineer goby

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of getting a engineer goby but have a melanurus wrasse. Will they be ok together?
55gal tank
Cinnamon clown
Sharp nose puffer
Yellow tail damsel
And the wrasse.
Approx 55lbs of live rock and 2-3 inches of sand

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom Line: Tough to say for sure, but to go off of typical species behavioral characteristics I would say they would be fine.

Not sure how the other tank mates would take to a juvenile Engineer Goby (EG). When we first introduced our EG as a juvenile, it basically found a home and hid as it gradually grew larger. I would also think that the color and shape of each species would be an easy identifier and not lead to any territorial aggression, but it is truly hard to say for certain. I would think the Cinnamon Clown would exhibit more aggression than the Melanurus Wrasse.

I would give it a go, but have a back up plan as needed.

Our large EG does not care about any of the systems inhabitants and is really peaceful.

Best of luck and hope it works out flawlessly. :D

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom Line: Tough to say for sure, but to go off of typical species behavioral characteristics I would say they would be fine.

Not sure how the other tank mates would take to a juvenile Engineer Goby (EG). When we first introduced our EG as a juvenile, it basically found a home and hid as it gradually grew larger. I would also think that the color and shape of each species would be an easy identifier and not lead to any territorial aggression, but it is truly hard to say for certain. I would think the Cinnamon Clown would exhibit more aggression than the Melanurus Wrasse.

I would give it a go, but have a back up plan as needed.

Our large EG does not care about any of the systems inhabitants and is really peaceful.

Best of luck and hope it works out flawlessly. :D
I was concerned about sleeping and digging you brought up points i hadn't considered thanks.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i think no problems,but make sure rock structure is secure ,before adding... :cool:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have engineer gobies and a melanurus wrasse in my 125 and there has been no issues between them that I am aware of.
For what it's worth I regret getting the engineer gobies. I rarely see them other than when they poke their heads out to grab a bite of food and I have several corals that they have buried in sand multiple times. I am not even talking about corals that are on the sand bed. They've piled sand up about 6 inches higher than where it used to be on several of my rocks.

Back