Melanurus Wrasse

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Been thinking about picking up a Melanurus wrasse but am not too familiar with them. I noticed on a few fish vender websites they categorize them as “reef safe: with caution”. I wasn’t sure if people have had any negative experience that would suggest not adding one. I currently run a 75g mixed reef. Thanks!

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had mine in an SPS dominate tank for about 8 mos now. He was the last thing added. No aggression towards other fish, but he loves new hermit crabs. Anytime I add a little more to my CUC, he'll try to sneak up, grab them by a leg and quickly turn his head to the side in what I guess is an attempt to snatch them out of the shell or break off an apendage. Cool to watch.

Jgro1413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for one year now and he's a perfect citizen, I've never seen him touch anything cuc or coral

Seanislav

Rectangular Money Pit Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with them has been fine with regard to other fish and corals. They've all developed a taste for snails, though...to the point that I don't bother using snails in my system anymore. Other inverts have fared well, though.

Emon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one for about a year in my Fowler tank and never bullied anyone but, he grew very big.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one, didn't bug anyone, but also didn't do its job(pest control), traded it in for a Dusky wrasse(same family, not as pretty, but its 10x more active) doesn't stop hunting from around 7am to 8pm. It's a stone cold pest killer. Mine wont even touch flipped over turbos. Just looks at them like "sorry buddy got no thumbs." Completely reef safe from my point of view and even LA doesn't have them as caution, but reef safe. If you aren't aiming at pest control, id go with the melanurus as it looks better to me. But otherwise function over form IMO.

Little info on it.

tthomas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one for many years (10+) that has transitioned through 3 systems with me. It is awesome and doesn't pick on anything "good" in the system. A great choice for a wrasse in a reef system IMO.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one and it is just fine in my mixed tank. Its a hunter. Wiped out all my pods in no time. Sleeps under the sand at night. Pops out when the alarm goes off.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Been thinking about picking up a Melanurus wrasse but am not too familiar with them. I noticed on a few fish vender websites they categorize them as “reef safe: with caution”. I wasn’t sure if people have had any negative experience that would suggest not adding one. I currently run a 75g mixed reef. Thanks!

Safe with corals, but will make a snack of most snails, hermits and shrimp. Mine has made a meal of many different types of snails, the odd hermit crab and even a smaller cleaner shrimp over the last couple of years. The only 2 inverts outside of corals that it has left alone are conch snails (he gave up in frustration on them) and a long spined urchin.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Coral safe crabs and shrimps not so much

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have already stated they are not coral eaters. They eat anything invert they can get a grip on. Amphipods, micro brittle stars, mysids, any hermits they can catch off guard, snails which are dying, peppermint shrimp ...
They spend all their time hunting.
Mine of 7 years never touched my fire or cleaner shrimp, plus left a mated pair of harlequins alone.

Be warned though, they are major bullies. I couldn't keep any other wrasses without aggression. Both flashers and fairies were chased.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my Melanurus have been a model citizen for the last 2 years. Grew from 1.5 inches to 4 inches at this time. Not a terminal male yet, still transitioning, IMO. Mine does not bother anything and not bother any of the numbers of wrasse I have in my 320 DT. He was one of the first wrasse I put into my tank.
6/21/2018
MelanurusWrasse2018062101.png

3/31/2020
MelanurusWrasse2020033101.jpg

MelanurusWrasse2020033103.jpg

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of these in my reef tank. One is smaller and other larger.... They are both model citizens, and do their job. Pest control. They also eat like pigs on foods I feed....

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of these in my reef tank. One is smaller and other larger.... They are both model citizens, and do their job. Pest control. They also eat like pigs on foods I feed....
Did you put them in at the same time? How big is your tank?
I wanted to put in a smaller one but I am not sure if it is a good idea.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back