Melunaris

Amstar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are not good with any type of shrimp are they? Cuc safe with them?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small shrimp like Sexy Shrimp would be on the menu. Cleaner shrimp likely not unless you add the shrimp right in front of the wrasse. No crab or shrimp in my tank. My Harlequin Tusk took care of that.

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Melanurus is good with skunk cleaner shrimp, peppermint shrimp, all kinds of crabs (medium hermit, emerald, pitho and porcelain crabs) and all kinds of snails. The only thing I've seen him go after as far is desirable inverts is very, very small hermits. He also decimates the pod population in my tank, they exist only in the sump now. I don't order the "small" blue leg hermits anymore, and order the "medium" red leg variety which he leaves alone.

OP
OP
Chessmanmark

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the education. I have focused on coral more than fish over the years.

I found this article on halichoeres wrasses today which was informative.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering now if my "Mel" is actually a vroliks? I believe he/she has the tail spot and mid body spot. I'll have to wait till the lights come up and he/she wakes up to know for sure.

I originally thought it to be a 6 line when I first saw it at the LFS, but was assured by the owner it was in fact a melanarus. When they are still juvi's and tiny, tough to see the differences if your not used to them.

Thanks for pics and knowledge guys!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering now if my "Mel" is actually a vroliks? I believe he/she has the tail spot and mid body spot. I'll have to wait till the lights come up and he/she wakes up to know for sure.

I originally thought it to be a 6 line when I first saw it at the LFS, but was assured by the owner it was in fact a melanarus. When they are still juvi's and tiny, tough to see the differences if your not used to them.

Thanks for pics and knowledge guys!
Spots on dorsal and base of caudal fins are common in juvenile and female wrasse, cannot be use to differentiate species.
These wrasses are not in anyway similar to Sixline wrasse. You just have to provide a good picture for us to see. Descriptions of these wrasse is really not adequate. Cases like these are truly "a picture worth a thousand words", even more.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spots on dorsal and base of caudal fins are common in juvenile and female wrasse, cannot be use to differentiate species.
These wrasses are not in anyway similar to Sixline wrasse. You just have to provide a good picture for us to see. Descriptions of these wrasse is really not adequate. Cases like these are truly "a picture worth a thousand words", even more.
No I realize it's not a 6 line, but as a tiny juvi and quickly glancing at it at the LFS, darting in between rocks, I could have swore it was a 6 line. Once he bagged it up and I could actually see it, I knew it was not.

Mine is no longer a juvi @ 3" long and round lol. When my lights come up and he/she wakes up, I'll see if I can get a pick.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot about this thread from this morning. LOL

Anyways.....

Now that my lights are on, and my fish are awake, I'll see if I can get a quick pic.

99% sure its a melanarus comparing to pics above.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best pictures, hard to get pics of a fish that is apparently camera shy, and will not sit still! No really, he/she went and hid when I put the camera up to the glass.

20201021_122046.jpg
20201021_122103.jpg

OP
OP
Chessmanmark

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s been a month so I transferred this wrasse to my 90 gallon display. This fish is non stop. It never stops swimming when it is out. It has so much energy. My clownfish, PBT and Hawkfish all took swipes at it, but it just keeps on swimming, often in a back and forth pattern like a mental patient. It is starting to hunt and peck all over the reef. It got my 2 Chromis out swimming more, and my pintail which stuck to half the tank before adding the Vrolik’s. It’s a awesome fish. I love the design on its body and it’s activity.

In my last build I felt like I had too many blue acros. Now I have too many blue fish. I think I need an Anthias but I worry about the bioload off fish that needs multiple feedings a day.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back