Merulina - share your knowledge and experiences

DiaTom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a purple and green merulina last week. I bought it a bit on a whim without knowing much about it other than what the lfs told me. I was just really taken by the look of it and the desire to add something different to my tank. I haven't been able to find much info about merulina. Some of the info is conflicting (SPS vs LPS, long sweepers vs no sweepers, hard vs easy, etc.). When I first added it to my tank, it sloughed off a bit of its flesh around the perimeter, but it appears to now be stable and recovering. It is eating and I haven't observed any sweepers yet.

Please share your input, knowledge, advice, experience, and pics. Thanks!

Sorry for how blue the pic is. The coral looks fantastic in person.

merulina92020.jpg

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it! Mine is so much bigger than the pic. that you saw. Mine started about the size of a quarter and is almost as big as half a dinner plate now. I placed it on a large rock with a red monti cap and an Idaho Grape monti. Thinking it would be cool with the green Merulina and the red and purple montis. Well everything grew as planned and fast! Then the Merulina killed both of the Montis. It is a thin plate but somehow has 3-4 inch sweepers. Now it is growing in the corner by itself.
Cheers! Mark

OP
OP
DiaTom

DiaTom

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it! Mine is so much bigger than the pic. that you saw. Mine started about the size of a quarter and is almost as big as half a dinner plate now. I placed it on a large rock with a red monti cap and an Idaho Grape monti. Thinking it would be cool with the green Merulina and the red and purple montis. Well everything grew as planned and fast! Then the Merulina killed both of the Montis. It is a thin plate but somehow has 3-4 inch sweepers. Now it is growing in the corner by itself.
Cheers! Mark

Wow - that looks awesome! How long did it take to grow that large? Did it kill the monti by stinging it or by growing over it?

Back