Metal Halides - Back to the Future?

Pedoconfuego

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
10k 400 watt Hamilton and 2xG4 Pros over my 150 Deep Dimension. The halide is hibernating while the fresh reboot stabilizes, but it will end up doing the heavy lifting. I need to get my canopy built to minimize light spill.

83717BC5-619C-424F-8F3B-80DBB57FDDEE.jpeg
Is that a yeti watching your tank? :) I had that same tank setup two years ago. Love it. But can’t get rid of it now. Not even for a few chunky frags! :(

jda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Daylight, full spectrum from 350-850nm to have corals get true color and then "blue it up" as you see fit to illuminate them. People who only use LED miss out a lot on the first part of this.

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Is that a yeti watching your tank? :) I had that same tank setup two years ago. Love it. But can’t get rid of it now. Not even for a few chunky frags! :(
A 150 DD? Yeah, cubes dropped off of the radar pretty hard. I don’t have much usable wall space in my house and this is essentially as big as I’ll be able to do in it. Our next house will be chosen with plans for something longer.

Top Shelf Aquatics

C. Eymann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
My ideal setup would be using 10-12k halides for the heavy lifting, then Radions or Orpheks for supplemental blue.

However, I just cant justify the cost and heat of halides down here in FL.
Im setting up another reef here very soon,
I'm currently looking at maybe two reef breeder LEDs with 4x T5s, might seek out some used Radions though if I can find them.

SeaDweller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
My ideal setup would be using 10-12k halides for the heavy lifting, then Radions or Orpheks for supplemental blue.

However, I just cant justify the cost and heat of halides down here in FL.
Im setting up another reef here very soon,
I'm currently looking at maybe two reef breeder LEDs with 4x T5s, might seek out some used Radions though if I can find them.
get 'er up! Can't wait to see what you can do with some stuff!

SeaDweller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Well, your pics/corals are what kinda have me sold on the reefbreeders, I still have quite a bit to learn with LEDs, so it may be a challenge at first, but I have been doing lots of homework. ;)
I was looking at the sales they're running for the AI Hydra 52 HDs and I think that unit uses the exact same diodes as my Reefbreeders (Cree, SemiLED, Osram). I was toying with the idea of getting some, but then I realized I probably wouldn't be gaining anything different seeing how the spectrums produced would be similar. So... I scrapped that Idea.

Corals.com

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
I'm thinking of going retro too.

Pedoconfuego

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I love my 250w MH Radiums and Radion combo. About to add two more XR15’s.

F04C8AA8-FDC7-405D-B0B6-4D399B8E3E92.jpeg
Love it! I was going to go with fixtures but I couldn’t justify the cost while they would be hard to find ones that fit. So I went with the orpek bars. Four of them is equal to a decent sized fixture it seems. So far I like them.

JP Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
I use MH and radions in my 6' 125g. I only use 175w Hamilton 20k bulbs, but the corals have never looked better. The radions give me the ramp up/down, but the Halides are what are truly giving my corals the color and growth.

Where do you go in case of a real reef tank emergency?

• Me, myself and I

Votes: 198 43.1%
  • Local Friend

Votes: 41 8.9%
  • Reef2Reef

Votes: 179 39.0%
  • Other

Votes: 41 8.9%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors