Micro Bubbles RS-Reefer 170

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a used RS-170 Reefer, and everything has been working great except for this micro bubbling problem I've been having.

I recently replaced the return pump from a Sicce to an M1-Vectra. However the problem was occurring prior to the pump replacment.

Things I've done to troublesoot:

1. Turned off the Skimmer completely for 2 hours while the return pump ran
2. Raised the level of the sump to eliminate the output connection of the pump and verified there was no venturi.
3. Verified the top of the braided hose is secured via a worm drive pipe clamp
4. Tightened and verified the bottom of the RS Return had no gaps or leaks.
5. Took off and cleaned/inspected the return assembly and verified the o-ring is facing the right way towards the ouput nozzle.

Next Steps:

I'm thinking about taking some 3/4 inch hose, removing the return assembly temporarily and seeing if the bubbles continue while using that as a temporary return.

Any other ideas suggestions?

-Tom

Tyler Collinske

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How if the angle of the return tube coming from your overflow? iv had mine angled a little to high and thought it was micro bubbles but it was just making bubbles from the water coming in contact with the surface. Also try wringing out the black spoung that is between the bubble trap.

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How if the angle of the return tube coming from your overflow? iv had mine angled a little to high and thought it was micro bubbles but it was just making bubbles from the water coming in contact with the surface. Also try wringing out the black spoung that is between the bubble trap.

Yeah, I think the problem now, at least 75% of it is my Octo 110SSS skimmer. I turned it off and most of the microbubbles in the Display disappeared after 10 minutes. They (coralvue) stated that I have to run carbon and lower the level, but I just measured the sump level, it's around 7 3/4 inches and to raise the skimmer an inch or lower the sump level. This seems dubious to me but I'll give it a try.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Nyos 120 skimmer, along with a sicce 2.0 and I have absolutely no bubbles.

Brogratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 170, the only way you would be getting microbubbles. Is if bubbles are passing over the black sponge filter between the skimmer chamber and return pump. Or if you have something blowing bubbles in that area. Do you have anything else in the return area? And do you have the water filled too high? The water should gently push over from the skimmer chamber area into the black filter and run down to the return pump chamber.

Brogratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2017-7-25_15-13-0.png

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I have the water overflowing the Sponge area, I took the sponge out however, as it was just a gigantic detritus trap which is hard to clean. I also tuned my skimmer so that it doesn't produce microbubbles from the outlet. The water does overflow from the main part of the sump to the pump chamber correctly. Perhaps lowering the water level would help here as well.

OP
OP
Skibum

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an aside, if I were to put the sponge back in, how does one clean it? Seems you need access to a power washer to get the job done. Yes, I do use the filter socks ;-)

Brogratz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I typically take mine out and clean it in hot water with the filter socks once in awhile. But the nitrates etc collected in it is so minimal it really doesn't factor. I clean mine maybe twice a year. Most of the detritus etc should be getting picked up by the filter socks and skimmer.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back