Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ElectricMusic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any other ways that folks here are using besides putting a wooden air stone near the return pump intake? I have been bubbling for about 2 months. My bubbles are definitely not "nano" size. They are probably large micro-sized. I want to be able to generate smaller bubbles. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Squamosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any other ways that folks here are using besides putting a wooden air stone near the return pump intake? I have been bubbling for about 2 months. My bubbles are definitely not "nano" size. They are probably large micro-sized. I want to be able to generate smaller bubbles. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hey electric :)

Have a look on this page for my videos!
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/micro-and-nano-bubble-tank-treatment.231894/page-20

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do silicate particles contain metal?

Silica and glass in general contains dissolved metal impurities, but they are at low levels and glass is not attracted appreciably to a magnet.. There are some magnetic minerals or bits of metallic impurities in commercial sand (both silica sand and aragonite), and reefers sometimes reject materials for this reason, or run magnets through it to remove those undesirable bits.

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same method... like this...

But, yes, there's more than one way to skin a cat... nothing in this world, or this hobby, is absolute.
What I was asking was whether or not you were using your hardware you're working on commercially (unless the whole thing was a joke and not just the S.C.A.M. name lol) or if it was the same simple process that you recommend. If these results were achieved just using an airstone next to the return pump, then others' results should be similar from using a similar setup, but if you were using a more efficient method, then your results wouldn't be comparable. Thanks :)

DanConnor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that anyone asked, but here's my opinion:

1. The typical reefer already skimming the crap out of their tank is not going to see any significant change in water quality by throwing some bubbles in the DT.
2. If you think irritating corals until they slime on a regular basis is beneficial, I don't know what to say to you

That's it.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...................I don't know what to say to you

That's it.

Wow! I think you've said it Dan.

I can only assume that you won't be trying this new unique "bubble" treatment. :cool:

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, went to Walmart and purchased the simple double air pump with two blue air stones. Bubbling 10 hrs at night. Simply placed one blue stone in front of my return and the second in such a way that my power head sucks up the bubbles and spits em out. The first two days I got an increase in skimmate. Then things normalized. No change in detritus trapped in my rocks......still have a ton! No change in algae growing on rocks. One rock is guarded by clowns and my tang cannot graze like he does on the others. No ill effects noticed on my Sps. I suspect the increased skimmate was the massive coral slimming event I created!

I've been bubbling for 13 nights.

Please note, I have no way of measuring pH and or CO2 so bubbling may be affecting my tank chemistry without me knowing.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@McMullen you actually want to do this with a wooden air stone. These wooden bubble stones make very small bubbles. The "blue" stones make really big bubbles. Try wooden and you'll be happy.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH no not Magnet's to do filtration. I remember the whole magnet filter rage back in the day. What a load of you know what.:)
I call that mis-application and mis-utilization of a technology... a spoon makes for a very bad knife... unless the side is sharpened...

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, went to Walmart and purchased the simple double air pump with two blue air stones. Bubbling 10 hrs at night. Simply placed one blue stone in front of my return and the second in such a way that my power head sucks up the bubbles and spits em out. The first two days I got an increase in skimmate. Then things normalized. No change in detritus trapped in my rocks......still have a ton! No change in algae growing on rocks. One rock is guarded by clowns and my tang cannot graze like he does on the others. No ill effects noticed on my Sps. I suspect the increased skimmate was the massive coral slimming event I created!

I've been bubbling for 13 nights.

Please note, I have no way of measuring pH and or CO2 so bubbling may be affecting my tank chemistry without me knowing.

Also, to generate the smaller more "desireable" sized bubbles, this is how I set mine up... This is the "adjusting and tuning" art part of this method...

Different sumps/weir sectioning, etc affects the setup a bit...

Layout.png

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Weir becomes a bubble size "selector" and only the smaller ones will make it down and to the return pump chamber...
You'll see what I mean... Make sure you're bringing in fresh air or "CO2 scrubbed" air including for your skimmer...

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I was asking was whether or not you were using your hardware you're working on commercially (unless the whole thing was a joke and not just the S.C.A.M. name lol) or if it was the same simple process that you recommend. If these results were achieved just using an airstone next to the return pump, then others' results should be similar from using a similar setup, but if you were using a more efficient method, then your results wouldn't be comparable. Thanks :)

That was a joke, obviously... LOL but I think some took it to mean I'm getting ready to sell. LOL

If that were the case, the wooden airstone method would "trump" my sales, pun intended. LOL

The vortex tube was a prototype test to see what the aussies were doing and comparing bubble size and consistency... but dollar for dollar it is more costly to make a device than to repurpose the limewood airstone and administratively determine the placement.

We are still looking for potentially another way to "skin the cat" that may be more cost effective and more consistent than a wooden diffuser though.

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silica and glass in general contains dissolved metal impurities, but they are at low levels and glass is not attracted appreciably to a magnet.. There are some magnetic minerals or bits of metallic impurities in commercial sand (both silica sand and aragonite), and reefers sometimes reject materials for this reason, or run magnets through it to remove those undesirable bits.

I was thinking via silicate pass through in RO filtered systems... (aka, time to replace the filters) :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking via silicate pass through in RO filtered systems... (aka, time to replace the filters) :)

Not sure what you mean, but dissolved silicate is not magnetic. :)

Cruz_Arias

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LoL never said magnetic, Randy... it is polar though lol :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LoL never said magnetic, Randy... it is polar though lol :)

I'm apparently not following what the whole discussion of silicate is about. Can you clarify? Do you think it has any relationship to bubbling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back