Midas Blenny - Help

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Midas blenny was missing for 2 days. Before he was happy -swimming & eating normally.
I looked everywhere. I found him this AM peeking out of his normal bolthole. He seem excited to see the food (LRS Reef Frenzy) but would only not leave his bolthole. He would exit about 2/3rds of the way, then drop back down. Could he be stuck?
*Should I leave him alone-if he is just skittish for some reason (and not stress him)? Or *Should I get in the tank and try to maneuver that rock to see if he is stuck?
Please advise.
Thanks!

OP
OP
Eva Rose

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Glad I asked first before trying to check his lair and stress him more. I will continue to observe. Fish have been acting normal (except Midas). Hopefully he will come out soon.

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I would leave him alone. If possible watch your tank during low light conditions before the lights come/off or during ramp up/down period if you have lights scheduled that way. See if he is active during those times, he may feel more secure during low light, and look for any bullying from tank mates.

OP
OP
Eva Rose

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you were all right about the bullying. My Midas is suddenly afraid of my whitetail bristletooth tang. I've watched very carefully.

The tang gives several fish a short chase or pecks rocks at their location. He does this very sporadically. He is usually picking at live rock, veggie clip or crusing the tank. Most fish ignore him or display back so he leaves. But honestly he is mostly being a tang -pecking about the tank. It is puzzling because the Midas was never fearful of him before.

Midas came out just now and ate a little mysis. Then the Midas wriggled into the other entrance of my jawfish's cave. My poor jawfish! He was fine about it, so maybe the Midas will rest there more securely .

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristletooth tangs and blennies don't always see eye-to-eye. Although my kole tang doesn't bother my midas, she absolutely _despises_ my starry blenny, whom she views as a competitor for algae.

That could be a piece to your puzzle.

~Bruce

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristletooth tangs and blennies don't always see eye-to-eye. Although my kole tang doesn't bother my midas, she absolutely _despises_ my starry blenny, whom she views as a competitor for algae.

That could be a piece to your puzzle.

~Bruce
Yup this is what I was thinking once you mentioned the bristletooth tang.

OP
OP
Eva Rose

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I hope the Midas will stop cowering & being fearful? It has been coming out at night during low light time. It stays out a little longer each time & ate for me tonight. Or do I need to catch my Midas and rehome it?
I like both fish, frustrating situation.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultimately, only you can make that call. Try to feed the Midas at times when he's active, and offer the tang nori to pick on all or most of the day.

You could try placing a mirror at one end of the tank, the tang may burn off some extra energy and waste some time attacking his reflection, giving the blenny a break.

Rearranging the rockwork may help as well - though not always easy to do!

~Bruce

OP
OP
Eva Rose

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ultimately, only you can make that call. Try to feed the Midas at times when he's active, and offer the tang nori to pick on all or most of the day.

You could try placing a mirror at one end of the tank, the tang may burn off some extra energy and waste some time attacking his reflection, giving the blenny a break.

Rearranging the rockwork may help as well - though not always easy to do!

~Bruce
I'll try those methods. Thanks!
I had 2 bullies about 2 years ago (bonded pair of hippo tangs) that I caught in a fish trap and rehomed. If blenny still continues to be stressed I will rehome blenny or tang.

Back