OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Day 7 came and went (much too fast), but we got a lot accomplished.

The tank stand has 3 coats of poly, the temporary tank has been cleaned, water tested and placed on the stand and Mike is working on the plumbing.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When Perfecto built this tank, they broke the bottom pane while drilling closed loop holes and had to replace the glass. They also did a very poor job of sealing the center overflow box (the overflow box actually peeled away from the glass (completely on one side, partially on the other) two weeks after the tank was installed. The vertical silicone seams between the glass panes on this tank are 1/8" wide, except for the back lower left and the back upper right which are about 1/4" wide. The left pane tilts OUT at the top rear about 3/32" perhaps more (hard to get an exact measurement with the messy glob of silicone on the outside. The right pane at the top rear tilts IN the same amount as the left tilts OUT.

So we took a look at the vertical seams on the 200dd temporary tank. They are 1/16" and while the silicone is sloppy and the side panes appear to tilt in by 1/16" in the rear, at least they are mirroring each other.

Sounds all too familiar. I special ordered a Deep Sea Aquatics 105g through a LFS. The thing showed up with glass tilted in all directions, sloppy silicone, air pockets everywhere, and a 6" long by ~1/16" deep void in the silicone on a bottom corner (so if you stuck your fingernail into the silicone seem, there would be ~1/16" deep amount of silicone missing). I managed to get a refund and went with the Perfecto 120g. You'd think these manufacturers would have some sort of jig or at least use a square in the building process.

I hear that certain employees are known for the quality of product they produce and are required to put a sticker on their work. So Tim's work may be terrible while Jim's is great.

We have always installed the thick black shower liner material under our stands. Funny thing, with both of our seal failures, the water didn't actually end up inside the stand, but made it's way onto our counter tops and into the floor in front of the stand and also onto the floor inside the side cabinets (where there is no liner - we're going to change that with the rebuild).

I'd love to see how you incorporated the liner into the stand. No rush as I know you are busy at the moment. :p

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lucas, Give me a couple of days and I'll post up a pic of the inside of the stand.

The 200dd temporary tank is online. Most of the fish and some of the corals have been moved over. Not pretty, but will have to do.

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like things are under control! Glad to see the temporary tank up and going.
It is a relief to have the temp tank online. Still have a lot of work to do, but things are getting better...

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad things are going as well as possible. You could honestly put those two fish in a mud puddle and they'd make it pretty! If you lived closer I'd come steal that Geni :)

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad things are holding as steady as can be.

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad things are going as well as possible. You could honestly put those two fish in a mud puddle and they'd make it pretty! If you lived closer I'd come steal that Geni :)
We almost lost the C. johnsoni 3 nights ago when all of the wrasses were still packed into the 4'x2' frag tank. I had screens over it, so not really sure what happened. Thankfully I was in the garage and close to the tank. I heard a strange noise, but didn't pay much attention, walked into the sump room to grab my water pitcher to top off the 180g vat, turned the corner and heard the noise again. When I looked closer, I found him on the rubber mat next to the tank. I scooped him up in my hand and put him in the tank. I started to release him and he flipped upside down. Well that freaked me out, so I grabbed the pitcher with my other hand, scooped some saltwater out of the frag tank and placed him in the pitcher. He was breathing really hard, but managed to upright himself. I put an air stone in the pitcher and it took about 5 minutes for his breathing to slow down. I released him back into the frag tank and he immediately dove for cover. I was almost afraid to look for him the next morning, but he was out swimming about like it never happened.

Did you see the two Zebra lyretail Angels on Divers Den? I thought about you when I saw them.

What typebof angel is that?
He is a Genicanthus Semifasciatus (Japanese Swallowtail).

Your "temporary tank" looks like it could easily be my dream tank *huffs off.* Everything looks amazing!
Thank You! It's quite jumbled right now and we still need to move quite a few more corals in there and try to arrange some of the rock a bit better to make some room.

Glad things are holding as steady as can be.
Thank You Krista! We're not out-of-the-woods yet, but so much better than we were a few days ago!

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wish me luck with them, I'm too excited
I knew it! Wishing you luck, although I have a feeling they will be just fine...

The temporary tank looks great! I'm so glad things are doing pretty good considering all that has happened :D
Thank You Jackie! Just so thankful that we have not had any losses so far...

OP
OP
Mike&Terry

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Regal Angel and Spotted Bristletooth are now in the temporary tank and we finally got most of the Acropora corals moved over to the temp tank.

Taken right after the move so the corals are a little peeved:

And had to share a pic of our M. choati

SantaMonica

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rubber mat inside the cabinet is a great idea; might even extend that next time to the whole under-carpet area. Nevertheless glad you were prepared more than most people.

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just wonderful that you have not had any losses!
Thank goodness you were home this time too.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back