OP
OP
M

Mbmarkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting impatient. A curse in this game. I just gotta let it do it’s thing. I think I’ll do a big water change perhaps 30%, in about 5 days. Tank should be cycled by then, at least enough to inhabit a few fish. So in the meantime here is my fish list. Given that this beast is 115 gallons. I plan on having the following:

2 x mocha storm clowns or lightning maroons (can’t decide)
1 x gem tang or a white tail bristletooth
1 x blue spot jaw fish
I want an interruptus angel but I’ve never had much luck with them and maybe it’s not worth wasting $ on.
1x golden fairy or Scott’s wrasse
3- squareback anthias

might be too much of a bioload, not trying to have too many fish, so I might have to make some hard choices :/.

coral list is still in the planning phase, as I like far too many.

OP
OP
M

Mbmarkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little update. Tank is cycled just trying to get the salinity down on the display tank it’s fluctuating between 40-41.8 ppt right now. Doing a big water change to get it down to 35ppt. In other news I made 3 fish purchases. I got a beautiful blue spot jawfish in quarantine, and ordered 2 lighting maroon clowns that arrive dec 4. Super fired up!

Attachments

• F99635C6-C4B8-47CA-BA28-828FFAE26767.jpeg
    F99635C6-C4B8-47CA-BA28-828FFAE26767.jpeg
    110.1 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
M

Mbmarkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: lightning maroons arrive tomorrow. Also just got my 25 watt Aqua uv sterilizer today. Will plumb it this weekend and will post pics! Everything is coming along nicely, I also changed around my scape a little bit! Now I have to sit down and make my coral list. Can’t decide what I want to go with and have been doing a ton of research. Does anyone think I should wait a few months before adding any to let the tank mature more?

Attachments

• EC1DAD69-E8D1-405C-9395-8248FB9D796B.jpeg
    EC1DAD69-E8D1-405C-9395-8248FB9D796B.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 48
  • DDC3DA5F-F648-4F87-9C34-3C468B59106E.jpeg
    DDC3DA5F-F648-4F87-9C34-3C468B59106E.jpeg
    207 KB · Views: 56

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great back story and I thouroughly enjoyed the word vomitting on your introduction. I too shall be seeking a white tail bristletooth for my cube in 6 months or so.

Ill be here for the ride.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice setup @Mbmarkus

Now I have to sit down and make my coral list. Can’t decide what I want to go with and have been doing a ton of research. Does anyone think I should wait a few months before adding any to let the tank mature more?
There are a couple different ways of looking at this... And really no one way is right because people have success many different ways.

There is definitely some benefit to adding life (fish, corals, inverts) right away. As long as you are keeping parameters stable. They will come with different bacteria and organisms to help the tank increase its biome faster and start the food web to keep corals happy. There will also be a CUC to keep algea under control before it’s a problem. I wouldn’t buy a $200 torch or anemone, but a duncan coral or other inexpensive hardy corals may help.

Another trick is to get a piece of live maricultured rock and some sand from the ocean that has all kinds of life in it. Since you are in WPB you actually could just go snorkeling and get some mud from the sea grass beds and macroalgae for your sump, although water is chilly now. Check out the collecting thread, https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/snorkeling-collecting-discussion-group.412414/page-33
But there is a chance of hitchhikers you don’t want so quarantining in a bucket is an option. IMO you have a similar risk of hitchhikers with buying corals.

There is another school of thought that 3 months with lights out will allow bacteria to grow and cover rocks and help prevent the ugly stage. This didn’t work for me and I’ll never do it again. But some people it works for.

Whichever way you go with, I am excited to follow along because the tank is gonna be really awesome!

OP
OP
M

Mbmarkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice setup @Mbmarkus

There are a couple different ways of looking at this... And really no one way is right because people have success many different ways.

There is definitely some benefit to adding life (fish, corals, inverts) right away. As long as you are keeping parameters stable. They will come with different bacteria and organisms to help the tank increase its biome faster and start the food web to keep corals happy. There will also be a CUC to keep algea under control before it’s a problem. I wouldn’t buy a $200 torch or anemone, but a duncan coral or other inexpensive hardy corals may help.

Another trick is to get a piece of live maricultured rock and some sand from the ocean that has all kinds of life in it. Since you are in WPB you actually could just go snorkeling and get some mud from the sea grass beds and macroalgae for your sump, although water is chilly now. Check out the collecting thread, https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/snorkeling-collecting-discussion-group.412414/page-33
But there is a chance of hitchhikers you don’t want so quarantining in a bucket is an option. IMO you have a similar risk of hitchhikers with buying corals.

There is another school of thought that 3 months with lights out will allow bacteria to grow and cover rocks and help prevent the ugly stage. This didn’t work for me and I’ll never do it again. But some people it works for.

Whichever way you go with, I am excited to follow along because the tank is gonna be really awesome!

great tips dude! Water isn’t too bad right now in terms of temp. definitely trying to keep my set up immaculate. I got a piece of life rock for the fuge and hit it with some dr Tim’s, I’ll dose some tigger pods on it tomorrow. I did indeed get a Duncan coral, and a free monti, and a green cap and a free coral. Love them bogo deals. I’m definitely gonna check out that thread. You’re the third person to tell me this, I just have an irrational fear of bobbit worms.

OP
OP
M

Mbmarkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s an recent tank shot gang. Stable parameters, haven’t even set up a my dos, just water changes twice a week.

Attachments

• EF294A7A-3494-4C9E-B859-DB0259193860.jpeg
    EF294A7A-3494-4C9E-B859-DB0259193860.jpeg
    91.9 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
M

Mbmarkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RichtheReefer21 Rich I found a legit website that I’ve ordered quality fish from in the past that has stellar pricing on exotic tangs. I’m about to buy my white tail, perhaps you’d like the info. @SMSREEF did you get your liverock from snorkeling? I read that forum you linked me to, that dude is nuts putting all that stuff in his DT

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@RichtheReefer21 Rich I found a legit website that I’ve ordered quality fish from in the past that has stellar pricing on exotic tangs. I’m about to buy my white tail, perhaps you’d like the info. @SMSREEF did you get your liverock from snorkeling? I read that forum you linked me to, that dude is nuts putting all that stuff in his DT
;Pompus;Watching;Woot

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can collect certain things in FL with a saltwater license.

None of my rock or corals are from collecting because it’s not allowed. My rock and coral are all from LFS.

you are allowed to collect fish, but all mine are from the LFS.

Only some sand/mud, macroalgae, hermit crabs, snails, gorgonians, clam, featherdusters are from collecting. It is kinda fun to collect and see it in your tank doing well.

Last time I was out, I netted a filefish, puffers and goby, but I don’t have a fish quarantine set up so I didn’t keep them.

This is my quarantine for sand, macros and snails from my last snorkel trip 2 weeks ago. I do a minimum 45 day quarantine in fish free environment before putting any coral from the store, or anything I collect in my tank.

image.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mbmarkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can collect certain things in FL with a saltwater license.

None of my rock or corals are from collecting because it’s not allowed. My rock and coral are all from LFS.

you are allowed to collect fish, but all mine are from the LFS.

Only some sand/mud, macroalgae, hermit crabs, snails, gorgonians, clam, featherdusters are from collecting. It is kinda fun to collect and see it in your tank doing well.

Last time I was out, I netted a filefish, puffers and goby, but I don’t have a fish quarantine set up so I didn’t keep them.

This is my quarantine for sand, macros and snails from my last snorkel trip 2 weeks ago. I do a minimum 45 day quarantine in fish free environment before putting any coral from the store, or anything I collect in my tank.

image.jpg
Ahh I see. You’re like an hour away from me, are you collecting off islamorada? By the way I checked out your tank. Looking solid AF dude. If you’re looking for any RFA, I got a guy in WPB who is usually stacked with them.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rich look at nyaquatic. I got my gem tang and my Achilles from there when I was living in LA, solid fish
I think im gonna ask Humblefish or Hotrocks to Qt my entire livestock list, and im gonna drop them all in at once. Let them duke it out for the first couple days, and then there will be peace, for a long time i hope. Ill drop the single tang in last.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back