Mild Mannered Tangs

What tangs have you personally seen acting aggressively to non-tangs?

• Acanthurus

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Ctenochaetus

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • Naso

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Paracanthurus

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Prionurus

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Zebrasoma

Votes: 21 63.6%

• Total voters

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey gang,

I just had to pull my White-Tailed Bristletooth tang out of my tank since he decided he hates wrasses and gobies after a couple of months. I was pretty dumbfounded as to why he would be aggressive towards fish that aren't grazing competitors, but have no problem with the other grazer (Yellow-Blotched Rabbitfish) in the tank. Anyways..... What i was wondering is what other kinds of tangs have people had become bullies to non tangs and what were they aggressive to? I want to get one that's a pretty docile tang and I know they all have their caveats, but I figured maybe compiled experiences will allow me to make an informed decision.

the poll is just to narrow to genera, but would appreciate species in the responses if possible. I know we will all have different experiences, so i think our collective reef hive-mind will help alot of us at some point when we're making decisions. You can pick as many genera as you have experience with.

Thanks!

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interestingly enough, I have quite a few tangs and a magnificent fox face. The only tang that gives my Borbobius Anthias/Midas Blenny/Melanurus Wrasse trouble is my White Tailed Bristletooth.

I've found that his aggression is kept in check when I feed hourly pellets during the day and supply new algae in multiple clips around the tank.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted Ctenochaetus, but that didn't work for you. I had a chevron for 7 years and he never bothered anyone. I currently have a Kole tang but he is the only tang I currently have and he doesn't bother any other fish other than an odd chase which pretty much any fish will do at one point or another. Naso lituratus are also very peaceful in my experience, both with the chevron and with a much smaller Achilles that would beat him up. This was in a 180 tank for reference. I've downgraded to a 112 for now that's why I just have the Kole, but I would still consider a zebrasoma or even a few different acanthurus to pair with the Kole. I've never had any other Naso tang but most seem to have a good reputation, just never had a large enough tank.

What scares me most about a purple tang is not that they are mean, in my experience they are mean, but the one I kept ate an expensive elegance coral in addition to being mean. Achilles was mean to many different fish and he ended up killing a couple of fish when I housed him in a 90 gallon tank during a long distance move. When he was in the 180 he was mean but did not seriously harass any fish to the point of death. The other tang I have kept was a powdered brown who was a lot nicer than the Achilles.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a regal tang (Dory) and she is very well behaved. When I added her she attacked a lot by my blenny but she never even tried to go back at him. I’ve now had her for a few months and she is really peaceful and loves her food, but I’ve never seen her go after any of my fish or inverts.

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey gang,

I just had to pull my White-Tailed Bristletooth tang out of my tank since he decided he hates wrasses and gobies after a couple of months. I was pretty dumbfounded as to why he would be aggressive towards fish that aren't grazing competitors, but have no problem with the other grazer (Yellow-Blotched Rabbitfish) in the tank. Anyways..... What i was wondering is what other kinds of tangs have people had become bullies to non tangs and what were they aggressive to? I want to get one that's a pretty docile tang and I know they all have their caveats, but I figured maybe compiled experiences will allow me to make an informed decision.

the poll is just to narrow to genera, but would appreciate species in the responses if possible. I know we will all have different experiences, so i think our collective reef hive-mind will help alot of us at some point when we're making decisions. You can pick as many genera as you have experience with.

Thanks!
That's a bummer as that was on my fish list. I have a 7' tank though so I wonder if it could work. What size is your tank?

OP
OP
Labridaedicted

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a bummer as that was on my fish list. I have a 7' tank though so I wonder if it could work. What size is your tank?
It's a 6' 180. He was relentless once he snapped. They're very cool looking fish, (my favorite non-labrid in the tank) but it seems that it's not uncommon for this species to have a mean streak

rich nyc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks I was interested in the white tailed bristletooth but will stick with kole if I go that way

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had nasty specimens from every genera except Naso, but I have also had well-behaved specimens from the same species, so a lot varies on the individuals involved.
So looks like naso. LOL. I love them, and they will let you pet them. I have a convict now (only) one in tank now, and it seems well behaved. It has been a good fish, only chasing the cleaner wrasse for a few minutes when added.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never even seen a prionurus so can't help with them but have like eatbreakfast seen the others apart from naso being aggressive.
Ime acanthurus in general are the ones most likely to lash out at non tangs and non herbivores, ctenochaetus more likely to go for blennies and zebrasoma other tangs. Paracanthus tend to limit their aggression to other planktavores but more so when they are larger.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is a bummer....my birthday is today and I am totally expecting a nice big gift certificate to Live Aquaria, to be used to top off my stocking list with a White Tail Bristletooth. Last fish in my 75 gal. This thread has me wondering if that's a great idea, I like my nice peaceful tank.

What are everyone's experiences with the Two-spot or Tomini? With a 75 gal I want to stick with the Ctenochaetus tangs for size, but I don't really want a Kole.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well this is a bummer....my birthday is today and I am totally expecting a nice big gift certificate to Live Aquaria, to be used to top off my stocking list with a White Tail Bristletooth. Last fish in my 75 gal. This thread has me wondering if that's a great idea, I like my nice peaceful tank.

What are everyone's experiences with the Two-spot or Tomini? With a 75 gal I want to stick with the Ctenochaetus tangs for size, but I don't really want a Kole.
The demeanor of all Ctenochaetus tangs is pretty similar across species. Mst are well behaved, but some individuals can be problematic.

OP
OP
Labridaedicted

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also don't want this to make people think they shouldn't try some of these genera, either. It was just so people can get an idea of temperment. Ctenochaetus can be boisterous, but not all of them. Heck, some people even have docile white tail bristletooths. The only way to know for sure, is to give it a try, just be aware of the possibilities of the personalities.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only issues I've ever had with ctenochaetus is with salarias algae or similar blennies but that's because they are both detrivores and are seen as competition. You might see the odd squabble with other species but they don't tend to last long.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back