How do you provide sufficient area for bacteria growth

playapixie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use biodigest/bioptim.

I used to have a fairly minimalist aquascape but then all my corals grew and I accumulated too much crap on my sandbed :bigsmile:

1 year by rich.colombo, on Flickr

I'm working on cleaning up corals on sandbed and thinning some pieces out to get it looking more open again.

How did you shoot this photo? Do you set your lights to a particularly color? Or use filters? Tank looks great and the photography is awesome.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every reef I have ever had has just been a wall of rock across the back of tank, with my new build I’m trying the minimalistic approach and so far I’m liking it a lot.. I have about 25lbs of rock in a 40b, not much going on yet but here’s a pic.

CF42944F-0BAB-4A83-B391-18CAFF7F6940.png

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@codydemmel4 that is a great looking minimalist scape. Do you run a big sump with lots of rock or ceramic media in it? Or are you running low nutrient?

With that SPS load, you are doing something/everything right to keep things stable without the ton of rock (that I am looking to remove from my DT). I love how my rock keeps things stable, but itching to get more minimal -- especially when I see tanks like this.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I look at this thread and there are some tanks that are not minimalists in my opinion, Very nice tanks but not minimal . This means little live rock, with lots of negative (open space). This also means not packing with corals.

Bonsai is another type which to me means branching or tree like structures. Being bonsai does not make it minimalist even though they certainly can be.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/leonardos-apogon-reef.90242/

This to me is minimal:

apogonreef5-1.jpg

from this thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/show-off-your-large-tank-aquascape.59909/page-5

2-jpg.28467

Another one of my favorites:

Last edited:

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@codydemmel4 that is a great looking minimalist scape. Do you run a big sump with lots of rock or ceramic media in it? Or are you running low nutrient?

With that SPS load, you are doing something/everything right to keep things stable without the ton of rock (that I am looking to remove from my DT). I love how my rock keeps things stable, but itching to get more minimal -- especially when I see tanks like this.

Thank you. I just have a 40 gallon sump with a good amount of siporax and a large system for cheato. I also have a skimmer "rated" for 750g when my DT is only 180 along with a 40 gallon frag tank tied in.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at this thread and there are some tanks that are not minimalists in my opinion, Very nice tanks but not minimal . This means little live rock, with lots of negative (open space). This also means not packing with corals.

Bonsai is another type which to me means branching or tree like structures. Being bonsai does not make it minimalist even though they certainly can be.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/leonardos-apogon-reef.90242/

This to me is minimal:

apogonreef5-1.jpg

from this thread:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/show-off-your-large-tank-aquascape.59909/page-5

2-jpg.28467

Another one of my favorites:

Unlike the rest of my family, I am not that much of a fish guy. Most of the fish I have are herbivores or pest control "workers". Yeah, they are attractive and have some personalities but they do their jobs well or else they go back to the LFS.

That all said then, I would not want to be a fish in those tanks -- as beautifully designed as they are. Bonsai is the perfect descriptor. Thanks for sharing these gorgeous images.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back