Minimum Tank Size Requirements

Beakerz19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I am kind of a beginner in the Nano reef hobby. I have been looking at fish that I would like to get for my 32 gal Biocube. My 32 gallon biocube has been up and running for over half a year and I have been doing well taking care of it. I have a pair of ocellaris clownfish, a tailspot blenny, torch coral, 2 different types of zoanthids, and a ricordea. I am planning on getting more corals of course and maybe an anemone. I was thinking about getting one or two more fish for my tank and stumbled upon the six line wrasse. I think it looks like an awesome fish that would be great for my tank, the only problem is that some people say it needs a minimum of 55 gallons. I was a little confused though because it only grows to a max size of 3 inches like my blenny and clown fish which minimum tank size requirements are less. I am now on the fence of buying one or not and was wondering if anyone could help me out.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All fish are a little bit different. Some small fish aren't very active so they can stay in a small tank. Others are very active, so even though they stay small and the tank would handle the bio load The fish itself would feel cramped.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a six line in my 43 gal display and it has done fine for 4 years. The only issue I would see with your tank is bioload. You may be maxing out on fish already, but I wouldn’t add any more than one other fish in that size system. JMO.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to swimming space. It's not necessarily the size of the fish, but how active they are.
For example, Maroon Clownfish grow to 6" and require a 30 gallon minimum. Meanwhile yellow tangs at 8" require 125.

I would also be concerned about your bioload. It can add up pretty fast in smaller tanks.

OP
OP
B

Beakerz19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you saying I should not get one more? Because I was looking for like 1 more fish to add to my tank as my blenny is very shy and pair of clownfish stay in a corner of my tank. I was looking to add a little more activity fish wise.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back