Missing fish

Anitaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a fox face for my 40 gal tank, to help with some hair algae. I acclimated him and place into my tank yesterday. He hid on the side, at the bottom, near a brittle star that hides in my rock. Today, the fish is no where to be seen, and no fragments of him. All I can think, is that my brittle star got him. Is that possible??. Expensive fish food if that happened.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I just bought a fox face for my 40 gal tank, to help with some hair algae. I acclimated him and place into my tank yesterday. He hid on the side, at the bottom, near a brittle star that hides in my rock. Today, the fish is no where to be seen, and no fragments of him. All I can think, is that my brittle star got him. Is that possible??. Expensive fish food if that happened.
I’m not sure how much rock you have for him to hide in. A brittle star, even a large green brittle would not consume an entire fox face unless he was tiny. I would assume he is either hiding, or if open topped tank, maybe jumped. Depending on age of tank, watch ammonia and/or nitrates. One or both may spike if he died and is deteriorating in the tank. Much smaller tank than mine, but I have fish, even larger ones that go MIA for a couple days.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not invisible if you're really looking, my Foxface has some impressive camouflage when he wants to hide. Typically it's just under a Sinularia coral and quite obvious but if he's in a cave he's quite difficult to make out.

20220722_202546.jpg

OP
OP
Anitaw

Anitaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure how much rock you have for him to hide in. A brittle star, even a large green brittle would not consume an entire fox face unless he was tiny. I would assume he is either hiding, or if open topped tank, maybe jumped. Depending on age of tank, watch ammonia and/or nitrates. One or both may spike if he died and is deteriorating in the tank. Much smaller tank than mine, but I have fish, even larger ones that go MIA for a couple days.
Tank is 7 months, 40 gal, open top, and no fish noted outside of the tank. They are the hairy BS’s. I do have a lot of rock, and I’m hoping that it is just hiding. Tried to see if he would come out for a feeding, but nothing. It was about 2”, my ammonia and nitrates are good

OP
OP
Anitaw

Anitaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not invisible if you're really looking, my Foxface has some impressive camouflage when he wants to hide. Typically it's just under a Sinularia coral and quite obvious but if he's in a cave he's quite difficult to make out.

20220722_202546.jpg
Yes , hopefully, I do have many hiding areas, large rock formations. I know they are very shy.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Tank is 7 months, 40 gal, open top, and no fish noted outside of the tank. They are the hairy BS’s. I do have a lot of rock, and I’m hoping that it is just hiding. Tried to see if he would come out for a feeding, but nothing. It was about 2”, my ammonia and nitrates are good
Just keep an eye on it. I have had fish that hid long enough that when they came out, I had forgotten about them. Kinda like Christmas whenever.

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said above, they have impressive camouflage, and if they don't want to be seen you'll struggle to find them. Mine took a couple of weeks to emerge and feed, but now he's an enthusiastic feeder. Bloody thing still hides the rest of the time though.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I'm not sure if you mentioned the size of the fish. Is there any way that it could have found its way into the overflow? If it did jump out of the tank, is there anyone else in the home that may have picked up the fish and didn't tell you yet (or maybe a pet)? Fish are good at hiding when they want to so hopefully it will reappear soon. Good luck!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
They are excellent hiders and also jumpers as mentioned by Peaceriver. Also check overflow box to see if it got in there. One thing you can try if hiding well is to set your phone on video mode for 30 mins and drop a little food and walk away. YOU MUST walk away.
Come back and review video. If hiding it should come out to at least get a nibble

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
welcome33.gif

OfficeReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd know if they jumped and you'd know if they were dinner. If you haven't observed any fish remains or nitrate increases, I'd say its hidden.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back