Missing YWG has returned!

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
First post here. I recently got into the hobby and have been lurking for a few months.

A month ago I added my first fish to my new Nuvo 25 Lagoon, a very small yellow watchman goby. He did great for a few days and then totally vanished. I waited a couple days and never saw him so I took the scape apart just to look around and didn't find anything. The tank does have a mesh lid but there was a period it was off so I eventually just assumed it jumped and got eaten by the cat/dogs.

I waited about 2 weeks and decided to pick up a new yellow watchman along with a tiger pistol. They paired immediately and have been inseperable since. This weekend I took the part completely apart to move it to it's permanent home. I took out the entire rock scape, all my frags, livestock etc. I completely emptied the water from the display and back chambers. I kept the water heated in a brute but it took a while so whatever tiny bit of water in the tank had to get very cold by the time I was done.

Anyway, fast forward three days since the move to a little while ago. I went to feed the tank and happened to look over the back of the return area when I saw "Gabe 1" pop out from underneath the second chamber and grab some shrimp, then dart back under. I guess all this time he has been living in the tiny, tiny section underneath the second chambers in the return pump section. I can't imagine how I'm ever going to catch him but if I do, should I try to reintroduce him to the DT or will that cause problems with "Gabe 2" and Shrimpy?

Here's the little guy eating

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would try to reintroduce him - I'm not sure how big the area is where he is (i.e. in front of his 'hole') - but you can try a fish trap (Either DIY - or often an LFS has one to borrow)

OP
OP
Mattyreefs

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty small, about 9"x3".
Gabe is living in the highlighted part. Ithink a water bottle trap might work if I take the return pump out.

If I did try to reintroduce him, do you think I should just drop him in or try using an acclimation box for a period of time?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's pretty small, about 9"x3".
Gabe is living in the highlighted part. Ithink a water bottle trap might work if I take the return pump out.

If I did try to reintroduce him, do you think I should just drop him in or try using an acclimation box for a period of time?
I have had these fish - 3-4 in a larger tank - with no problem (the only problem was them jumping out). I was going to ask you - why not just take out the return pump - and you should be able to get him? Then I would also make sure that the place where your water goes into the sump - is covered well - so fish can't get down there.

OP
OP
Mattyreefs

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had these fish - 3-4 in a larger tank - with no problem (the only problem was them jumping out). I was going to ask you - why not just take out the return pump - and you should be able to get him? Then I would also make sure that the place where your water goes into the sump - is covered well - so fish can't get down there.

Well, if you look at this picture, it's about 2 inches from the water level to the top point where he'd get into the next chamber and return area. He couldn't have gone down through the floss, media, etc. so he had to go over! And I guess very luckily landed inside the sump. I guess I'll put some mesh or plastic over the top of the media basket so if anything gets in through the overflow, they can't get any further.

AllanPritchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a similar tank, there is very little room even if all the equipment is removed.

One option if you can't trap him or net him due to the space is to move the heater and power head to the main part of the tank to keep thinks ticking over. Remove everything from the rear compartment and then very slowly add sand to the rear compartment (making sure to not bury him or trap him) and eventually due to lack of realestate he will be closer to the top and you should be able to net him and flip him over to the main display. Then syphon the sand back out and reassemble equipment and filter etc. I'd put aside a day to slowly add the sand making sure that he can always move to a new section.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
-d

Attachments

• 20210421_221050.jpg
    20210421_221050.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 27

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See this triangle spot in the back of my AIO? Somehow my six line wrasse got in there. Thought he was dead for 2 days when by chance I saw something moving through a smalll vent. It’s an empty compartment. But too small to get in there. I used an extendable back scratcher and pulled him free and he is Alive and well. Might not work in this case. But just saying. There might be an odd tool to help him out. I do feel for you. My ywg is so tiny. I always hate when I go days without seeing him. Luckily he lives under a rock near the front of my tank. Good luck. Make sure to let us know what happens

OP
OP
Mattyreefs

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See this triangle spot in the back of my AIO? Somehow my six line wrasse got in there. Thought he was dead for 2 days when by chance I saw something moving through a smalll vent. It’s an empty compartment. But too small to get in there. I used an extendable back scratcher and pulled him free and he is Alive and well. Might not work in this case. But just saying. There might be an odd tool to help him out. I do feel for you. My ywg is so tiny. I always hate when I go days without seeing him. Luckily he lives under a rock near the front of my tank. Good luck. Make sure to let us know what happens
I'm not surprised he's been living in there, but I'm really surprised he survived the move this weekend. I took as much water out of the DT and rear chambers. The only water left back there was what fell back in when the siphon died. And it had to get pretty cold by the time I filled it back up. I'm going to try a water bottle trap this weekend. I'll report back.

Honestly my biggest question is what the chances are that they'll pair with my existing ywg/pistol pair. I feel really attached to him at this point but also can not imagine what it would be like trying to get him back out once he's in the DT. Seems like 50/50.

OP
OP
Mattyreefs

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had same thing happen to me. I took the pump out and used a handheld siphon used for water change and literally siphoned/sucked it into the tube and dumped it back into the DT..
I didn't know he was in there so I obviously didn't specifically try to siphon him but I did take as much water out of the rear chamber this weekend when I moved the tank. The only water left was what fell back in when the siphon died. The part underneath the second chamber is just long enough that I don't think a siphon would get him. I'll try a water bottle trap this weekend and if that doesn't work, I'll try siphoning. Other option I have thought of is to lure him into the center and try to quickly block off the inset behind him, then net him. I'll report back!

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know about two ywgs but I do also have a diamond sifter gobi. And he is good friends with the ywg. The sifter was there first and I added the tiny ywg and they got along from the start. Based on that I’d say it’s possible they could get along. But Maybe somebody else has real experience.

OP
OP
Mattyreefs

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was able to catch sump Gabe using a water bottle trap yesterday. It took some coaxing but after a bit of effort using an eye dropper to push water behind him, he swam into the trap. I decided to take the risk and drop him into the DT. I was hoping he was the smaller of the two but it turns out he's a bit bigger than Gabe 2. Within an hour or two, he had already displaced Gabe 2 from his hole with his pistol shrimp (zero loyalty from that guy!).

I've seen a couple scuffles where Gabe 1 chases off Gabe 2 and WOW can they open their mouths wide. And I do see a very small piece of fin from the top of his front dorsal. But for the most part, they are just keeping their distance and using separate holes of the same "cave system." Hopefully with enough feeding and some time, they'll settle down.

That's sump Gabe on the left and Gabe 2 on the right.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I was able to catch sump Gabe using a water bottle trap yesterday. It took some coaxing but after a bit of effort using an eye dropper to push water behind him, he swam into the trap. I decided to take the risk and drop him into the DT. I was hoping he was the smaller of the two but it turns out he's a bit bigger than Gabe 2. Within an hour or two, he had already displaced Gabe 2 from his hole with his pistol shrimp (zero loyalty from that guy!).

I've seen a couple scuffles where Gabe 1 chases off Gabe 2 and WOW can they open their mouths wide. And I do see a very small piece of fin from the top of his front dorsal. But for the most part, they are just keeping their distance and using separate holes of the same "cave system." Hopefully with enough feeding and some time, they'll settle down.

That's sump Gabe on the left and Gabe 2 on the right.
The perfect post - an update. They will be fine (God willing). Maybe get another pistol shrimp??

DJMCB35

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had... have... a harbour watchman goby that disappeared within 36 hours of introduction to my DT. I know they can hide but, at the 5 day mark, I'd written him off. He was "replaced" by a yellow watchman, which immediately settled in and is thriving. So, at the 30 days missing mark, there's "TSC" (The Second Coming) darting out of his previously invisible hideaway to grab some brine shrimp. He continues to live in his own little world, a happy recluse. For all the lost and missing fish I have known, this really made me happy.

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my male clownfish for about 8 months. No where in sight, wasn't in the sump, overflow, behind the tank or anything. I thought my female had killed him, and the cuc disposed of his body.
Then one day, I just happened to be looking at the tank from about 15 ft away and saw him swimming with her, and thought "I only have 1 clown...". I walked closer and sure enough, he was back, and fat! Not a mark on him. Happy as a clam, as was I. Still no clue where he decided to take his extended vacation.

Btw, Sump Gabe is an awesome name. He probably won't be very sociable for a little while, since he spent quite a while in solitary confinement. Just give him some time to settle in

OP
OP
Mattyreefs

Mattyreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The perfect post - an update. They will be fine (God willing). Maybe get another pistol shrimp??
Going to wait it out and hope for the best. Tank already feels crowded with the extra goby and these two constantly on the lookout for each other. If it was a bigger tank with more sandbed, I'd consider another pistol but I think that would probably make things worse in this tank. Sump Gabe seems so angry? and way more skittish. He takes off the second something happens near the tank. Meanwhile I can practically touch Gabe 2 with a pipette and he doesn't even flinch. Maybe he just needs more time to adjust from living in a tiny dark hole for a month in total seclusion.

I'll update again if anything changes.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back