Mixed Reef

  • Thread starter Thread starter gabelex14
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

gabelex14

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 14, 2026
Messages
96
Reaction score
49
Location
Mansfield
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LPS vs SPS in a Mixed Reef

I'm running into an issue where my system is a little nutrient bare. Nitrate is 5 ppm and phosphate is .01, I've had some slight retracting with my Torch corals but I think a part of the issue was too much flow in one direction. That problem has been corrected and I'm seeing better PE.

Now my question is could low phosphate be beneficial in the sense that I am able to dose products like reef roids and Red Sea coral nutrition more frequently. In my mind that would allows me to spot feed my corals more without having to worry about a nutrient heavy systems.

For context, I have multiple acros that are growing and encrusting with no issues. But my torches aren't as full as they once were.
 
Those are great parameters since it provides you flexibility in how to run your system. You could add more fish and/or feed more which would increase nutrient levels a bit and still be in a good range. You will likely need to add more fish and food as your coral load grows.

Maybe at some point you might need to dose nitrates or phosphates but that usually does not occur until the system is very mature with massive coral load.
 
Those are great parameters since it provides you flexibility in how to run your system. You could add more fish and/or feed more which would increase nutrient levels a bit and still be in a good range. You will likely need to add more fish and food as your coral load grows.

Maybe at some point you might need to dose nitrates or phosphates but that usually does not occur until the system is very mature with massive coral load.
I added a coral beauty, it's got some bigger poops. I know reef safe with caution
 
Thats what I do in my system, add roids once a week. My nitrates typically at 5, phosphate typically .03, I feel it works for my system.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new