Mixing Station / Automatic Water Change

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been planning out a 300 gallon build, and wanted to make the maintenance easier and minimize carrying water through the house. So finally put together the mixing station located in my garage and have started using daily automatic water changes with a DOS on my current tank. I routed 1/4" tubing and a 125' apex cable from the tank to the garage through the attic. Here is the cable I used: https://www.usbfirewire.com/parts/rr-apex-xx.html

For the mixing station, I used two 110 gallon full drain inductor tanks with vented lids for reservoirs. A plumber helped to add a faucet to the water input of the hot water tank that feeds the RO unit.

There are ball valves to direct the flow of water either from the fresh water reservoir to the top of the salt water reservoir or to recirculate water within the salt water reservoir while mixing. A 1" bulkhead was installed on top of the salt water reservoir and there is a 1" pvc pipe with a 90 degree elbow extending down which creates a whirlpool effect while mixing. The cable allows control of the DOS for the auto water changes and a second energy bar. There is a feed mode function programmed to control the pump shutting it off after mixing for a few hours.

IMG_0291.jpg
IMG_0907.jpg
IMG_0908.jpg
IMG_0909.jpg
IMG_0910.jpg
IMG_0912.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! $$$
Thanks! Main expense was the reservoirs which I was fortunate enough to be able to pick up locally which saved me a ton on shipping. I looked for reservoirs large enough to support a 300-400 gallon system. I'm anticipating mixing a new batch of water every 3-4 weeks. So I'm hoping the system will pay off by saving me some time and making maintenance easier.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! I just bought two water containers to start planning mine out last night. Both of mine are 35 gallon, but I only have a 29 gallon biocube and 60 gallon cube right now. I figure I can always upgrade the containers when I'm closer to starting my big build. I am hoping to T off the hot water heater supply as well. I'd love to see a closer up of how you incorporated that.

ThePlummer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you find the cord caddy's? I've been looking for them and can't find them anywhere?
1594226376638.png

Also, I'm currently building something similar, but I'm putting a 62 gallon well pressure tank for my reserve RODI water. That way, when I need to make fresh SW, the RO fills under municipal water pressure and don't need a pump.

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! I just bought two water containers to start planning mine out last night. Both of mine are 35 gallon, but I only have a 29 gallon biocube and 60 gallon cube right now. I figure I can always upgrade the containers when I'm closer to starting my big build. I am hoping to T off the hot water heater supply as well. I'd love to see a closer up of how you incorporated that.

Thank you! I can't tell you how nice it has been to have the mixing station up and running.

I circled where we added a T to the cold water input. There's a shutoff valve right before the hose bib. The RO unit came with an adapter that threads onto the bib.

IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

How do you have your blue line held to the bottom of the reservoir? Is that blue painters tape I see or some sort of weight?

The RO tubing tended to coil, so I drilled a 1/4" hole in a piece of PVC pipe to help weigh the tubing down.

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

Where did you find the cord caddy's? I've been looking for them and can't find them anywhere?
1594226376638.png

Also, I'm currently building something similar, but I'm putting a 62 gallon well pressure tank for my reserve RODI water. That way, when I need to make fresh SW, the RO fills under municipal water pressure and don't need a pump.

Here is a link to the product that I used. You can check for snake skin cord management or wire loom cord management and will find different size and style products that may potentially work.

Nanojoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool setup! looks to make your life much easier.. especially with that new HUGE build you have coming. Great job! :cool:

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I can't tell you how nice it has been to have the mixing station up and running.

I circled where we added a T to the cold water input. There's a shutoff valve right before the hose bib. The RO unit came with an adapter that threads onto the bib.

IMG_1025.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

The RO tubing tended to coil, so I drilled a 1/4" hole in a piece of PVC pipe to help weigh the tubing down.

IMG_1029.jpg

IMG_1031.jpg

Here is a link to the product that I used. You can check for snake skin cord management or wire loom cord management and will find different size and style products that may potentially work.

great info! And thank you for the pictures!!!

spschiebel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicely done!

I have a non-reef related question. I like the appearance of your garage floor. Was that professionally installed? Can you share the product info?

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicely done!

I have a non-reef related question. I like the appearance of your garage floor. Was that professionally installed? Can you share the product info?
Thank you!

Yes, I had the garage floor professionally installed. I've been very happy with it. The product is called spartaflex.

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRAVO; very nice set up!! If I can ever get my garage clear enough, maybe I'll try something like that.
Thanks! Funny you mention it, but this project motivated me to get around to decluttering the garage. Has been nice on both fronts.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicely done!

We have done something similar to every garage we have lived in. It's not terrible as a DIY. It was some epoxy coat thing from home depot that came with paint flakes. You can decide how dense to spread the paint flakes. We did more than the picture shows. Here's the link to it.

OP
OP
sdreef

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixing a new batch of saltwater in preparation for arrival of the new tank! I love the whirl pool effect of the cone bottom tank. There is a 1" pipe extending down into the tank and a 90 degree elbow directing the flow.

I've been using Tropin Marine Pro. There are some light brown streaks. I think it may be some light algae growth, but not sure I need to do anything to clean this at this point. I'll see how things progress and if I need to perform any type of maintenance down the road.

IMG_2393.jpg

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back