mixing station complete

blurry

View Badges
Reaction score
Jordan NY (in-between Rochester and Syracuse)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently finished my mixing station, hopefully this will help foster ideas for fellow reefers!

The left hand one has salt mix
Right hand is RO/DI

I went with two Brute 32 gallon bins. Used Gl*******s bulkheads 3/4". All PVC fittings were from Home Depot (cheapest). I found out that not all of these ball valves open easily. I picked the ones that were the easiest to actuate of the 100 or so they had. I used threaded adapters around the expensive fittings, this is mostly so that if I change things around I can re-use the fittings. Normally I'm not worried about this, but things were pretty close together here. The bottom input and top output are by union. I also have a 3/4" hose with a union end on it in case I need it.

There is a Mag 9 installed which can take in from either bin (through lower lines), or an outside input via Union. The output lines are on the top, one to each bin and a union. I currently have a spout on the union that makes filling a 5 gallon pail or a 1 gallon jug for dosing mix easy.

Electric is tapped of a dedicated 20 amp electric line, carried by conduit to a wooden backboard which is attached to the concrete with anchors. everything is run through the GFI for safety, all 20 amp plugs. The switch on the top left controls the Mag 9 making it easy to turn on and off.

Each bin has a power strip to control the heater inside (150 watt) and a JbJ2500 power head (on sale for $10). I went with the power strips as they are an inexpensive way to get more outlets and a low duty switch (2.98 @ Ace)

How to use:

to move RO/DI to mixing bin:
(start with all valves closed and pump off)
- open lower right (water input)
- open upper left (output)
- hit switch till water reached inner lip, turn off
- close lower right valve

Mixing salt with Mag 9
- Seems that the Mag really helps mix things, so I run it for a day after adding the salt mix
- open lower left (water input)
- open upper left (output)
- hit switch till water reached inner lip, turn off after a day

To pump water to 5 gallon pail:
- open lower left (water input)
- open upper center (output)
- hit switch to pump water. use ball valve to slow down

Lessons learned-

fortunately I was able to learn from the folks that posted back to this. The only issues I have had is
(1) the lower union which was made to pull from a bucket doesn't work unless I let some water from one of the bins go through to help keep the pump primed
(2) the nozzle for filling the 5 gallon pail is below the max water line of the bins, so there is a siphon effect. no big deal, just need to turn off the valve instead of just the switch.

At the end of the day, this setup was not cheap. It is worth every penny. I went away and my wife maintained the tank. Adding top off water was a breeze. I go through a gallon a day - just take a gallon jug, add 1/2 tsp of AragaMight (no discussion please, I'm moving to kalk), hold jug to nozzle and turn the switch on for a few seconds. add to tank.

Attachments

• IMG_1153.jpg
    IMG_1153.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 755
  • IMG_1154.jpg
    IMG_1154.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_1155.jpg
    IMG_1155.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 223

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice! I have been thinking of doing something for myself like this!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have absolutely loved it! with that tank on the second floor we have to bucket up water, this makes it easy to fill the buckets and I always have water ready to go. Well worth the investment!

Pick up a mag 24 and plumb the saltwater up to the sump on the second floor no need for hauling buckets my friend did it from his garage threw the attic into his tank works like a charm...;)

Harry_Y

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good.

It seems your lessons learned can be easy enough corrected.

Just think how easy it will be once you go to your
basement sump no more hauling water at all.

OP
OP
B

blurry

View Badges
Reaction score
Jordan NY (in-between Rochester and Syracuse)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pick up a mag 24 and plumb the saltwater up to the sump on the second floor no need for hauling buckets my friend did it from his garage threw the attic into his tank works like a charm...;)

getting the line up would be a pain in the rear. Easier to move the tank down a floor!

Looks good.

It seems your lessons learned can be easy enough corrected.

Just think how easy it will be once you go to your
basement sump no more hauling water at all.

absolutely!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back