Mixing Station - Winter Climate

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently upgraded my tank from a 40g AIO to ~120g total volume and now need to be able to make my own water both RODI and salt. I am in the process of getting all my ducks in a row to build a mixing station. Here is my question/ situation: I live in KC where in winter we can have a stretch of days below freezing. I am planning to put the mixing station in my garage as that is the only place I can accommodate the tanks and other equipment. My issue is that there is no floor drain in my garage. I have read that some folks just extend the waste water line further to the outside to water the grass etc. I have also read that this can be an issue in the winter when the temperatures are consistently below freezing. Not sure what to do here to make this work, any and all input is greatly appreciated, please include pictures if you think it necessary. Thank you in advance!

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently upgraded my tank from a 40g AIO to ~120g total volume and now need to be able to make my own water both RODI and salt. I am in the process of getting all my ducks in a row to build a mixing station. Here is my question/ situation: I live in KC where in winter we can have a stretch of days below freezing. I am planning to put the mixing station in my garage as that is the only place I can accommodate the tanks and other equipment. My issue is that there is no floor drain in my garage. I have read that some folks just extend the waste water line further to the outside to water the grass etc. I have also read that this can be an issue in the winter when the temperatures are consistently below freezing. Not sure what to do here to make this work, any and all input is greatly appreciated, please include pictures if you think it necessary. Thank you in advance!
If no drain in garage then where you getting water supply from? I assume where you get supply water from there is a drain? I’d just run the waste line back along the supply and drain it there. My drain line runs 30ft plus

OP
OP
M

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If no drain in garage then where you getting water supply from? I assume where you get supply water from there is a drain? I’d just run the waste line back along the supply and drain it there. My drain line runs 30ft plus

So the home has a hose bib in the garage and that is where I will connect the RODI unit.

KRas1014

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my mixing station setup in the garage and wound up running the waste line through the wall to my laundry room and it drains down the washing machine drain

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the home has a hose bib in the garage and that is where I will connect the RODI unit.
Hmmm imo to run it outside in freezing temps will not work. 1/4 line will be easy to drill holes and run like thru walls in house. It is pressurized so this helps because will not need gravity to drain

OP
OP
M

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm imo to run it outside in freezing temps will not work. 1/4 line will be easy to drill holes and run like thru walls in house. It is pressurized so this helps because will not need gravity to drain

Thanks I was thinking of this as an option as the garage shares a wall with the laundry room. I guess my next question is will there be enough head pressure from the RODI unit to push the water out of the line and into the washing machine drain line? It will likely be a minimum of 20 feet if not more. Will I need a pressure booster?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I was thinking of this as an option as the garage shares a wall with the laundry room. I guess my next question is will there be enough head pressure from the RODI unit to push the water out of the line and into the washing machine drain line? It will likely be a minimum of 20 feet if not more. Will I need a pressure booster?
Yes it will definitly be enough pressure to push water that far. As far as needing booster pump you need to check supply pressure to ro unit and if less then 40-50psi then yes booster is recommended to ensure Rodi unit work efficiently. 70-90 psi is most Rodi units ideal operating pressure to make the amount of water that is posted by the manufacture And helps membrane last longer

OP
OP
M

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will definitly be enough pressure to push water that far. As far as needing booster pump you need to check supply pressure to ro unit and if less then 40-50psi then yes booster is recommended to ensure Rodi unit work efficiently. 70-90 psi is most Rodi units ideal operating pressure to make the amount of water that is posted by the manufacture And helps membrane last longer

Stupid question but how do I check supply pressure from the hose bib which would be going into RODI unit?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid question but how do I check supply pressure from the hose bib which would be going into RODI unit?
Most ro units come with gauge. But if not they can easily be installed if purchased. I like this one I have 2 of them. One before unit for supply pressure and one before membrane to check pressure going into it. This kit comes with everything you will need to install it beside razor to cut the line.
. https://www.ebay.com/itm/153611542752

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix next to my tank. We do not have basements here, and I have found lugging water sucks! I just set the 44gal brute can by my tank, kick on the RodI to fill it over night while I sleep, mix salt in the morning and swap out in the afternoon. Everything then goes back to the garage.

OP
OP
M

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix next to my tank. We do not have basements here, and I have found lugging water sucks! I just set the 44gal brute can by my tank, kick on the RodI to fill it over night while I sleep, mix salt in the morning and swap out in the afternoon. Everything then goes back to the garage.

This would be a good idea however, my tank is in the dining room and would not really be possible to do that.

OP
OP
M

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most ro units come with gauge. But if not they can easily be installed if purchased. I like this one I have 2 of them. One before unit for supply pressure and one before membrane to check pressure going into it. This kit comes with everything you will need to install it beside razor to cut the line.
. https://www.ebay.com/itm/153611542752

Thanks I ordered two to install per your recommendations.

KorD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be a good idea however, my tank is in the dining room and would not really be possible to do that.
Fully understand. I moved our dining room to the kitchen nook so I could have a bigger tank.. lol
I just make sure everything I need is I. The house and back to the garage before 24 hours is up..
now it’s faster for me since I’m only kicking out 10-15 gal of water for changes.

OP
OP
M

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my only option here is in the unfinished storage portion of my basement as my wife is not interested in me drilling holes from the garage into the laundry room. The issue now will be getting a pump strong enough to get the water from the containers in the basement to the display tank. Anyone have experience with this? Any recommendations on pumps? Is the head pressure the main thing I should be looking at when looking at different pump options or is GPH more important?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my only option here is in the unfinished storage portion of my basement as my wife is not interested in me drilling holes from the garage into the laundry room. The issue now will be getting a pump strong enough to get the water from the containers in the basement to the display tank. Anyone have experience with this? Any recommendations on pumps? Is the head pressure the main thing I should be looking at when looking at different pump options or is GPH more important?
You would only need a 1/4 hole for the drain line into laundry room. Easily covered or hidden. If you run outside it will freeze. I live in Chicago and if I did that it be popsicle first freeze day. As far as pumps I run iwaki 70 pump from basement Sump to feed display upstairs in living room With no issues but that would be over kill for you. I usually use danner mag drive pumps for this. They work well. I used the mag18 and mag12 versions for my auto water changes from sump 40 feet away to laundry sink and it Blasts out into sink.

OP
OP
M

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would only need a 1/4 hole for the drain line into laundry room. Easily covered or hidden. If you run outside it will freeze. I live in Chicago and if I did that it be popsicle first freeze day. As far as pumps I run iwaki 70 pump from basement Sump to feed display upstairs in living room With no issues but that would be over kill for you. I usually use danner mag drive pumps for this. They work well. I used the mag18 and mag12 versions for my auto water changes from sump 40 feet away to laundry sink and it Blasts out into sink.

Awesome thanks, I will check out the Mag Drive pumps. Hiding the hole in the laundry room is less of an issue and the bigger problem is running the RO drain line across the floor and up the wall into the drain for the washer. Highly doubt there would be enough pressure from RO unit to accomplish this.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks, I will check out the Mag Drive pumps. Hiding the hole in the laundry room is less of an issue and the bigger problem is running the RO drain line across the floor and up the wall into the drain for the washer. Highly doubt there would be enough pressure from RO unit to accomplish this.
Yes there will be enough pressure. The waste line will be pressurized by youR city water system You can probably go 2-300 ft and it will still work. Imagine a 100ft garden hose Then put a second 100ft on it and it will still flow the water now add a third 100 ft and Believe me it will still be able to wash your car 300 ft away

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said my waste line literally goes 30 feet to drain and could go way farther

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back