Mixing station

iplumbsome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been checking out others ideas/designs on mixing stations. I notice a lot of brute or white plastic tubs. Is there a reason no one seems to use smaller aquariums? My plan was to use two 55 gallon tanks. One for RO water and the other for salt water. I think will drill them and use 1 pump for both. Is this not a good idea?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been checking out others ideas/designs on mixing stations. I notice a lot of brute or white plastic tubs. Is there a reason no one seems to use smaller aquariums? My plan was to use two 55 gallon tanks. One for RO water and the other for salt water. I think will drill them and use 1 pump for both. Is this not a good idea?
I think you could. A main reason it's probably not commonly used is cost. A rubber container costs less than a glass aquarium in most cases.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I made. It's two 25 gallon containers. One for rodi and other saltwater. I also use both for saltwater if I feel like doing a 50 gallon change.

20171014_174038.jpg

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using aquariums would require making some pretty good lids to keep out unwanted dust/debris - that's about the only drawback I can think of. A pair of 55G aquariums stacked on narrow shelves wouldn't take up any more room than vertical cylindrical tanks. Drilling them isn't a big deal if you've done it before. Plus it'd be easy to see when they are getting dirty and need a cleaning. During Petco's $1/g sales they'd be a reasonable price too.

iansu1075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This my 29 g saltwater mixing station. It’s not professional by any means. I have to manually fill it up. I also have a top for it on the tank and stand

b3cc7bff75283b16f6c4272577be3b31.jpg

d3f23d0e2d8fd10dbc659c2113e53f8d.jpg

OP
OP
iplumbsome

iplumbsome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using aquariums would require making some pretty good lids to keep out unwanted dust/debris - that's about the only drawback I can think of. A pair of 55G aquariums stacked on narrow shelves wouldn't take up any more room than vertical cylindrical tanks. Drilling them isn't a big deal if you've done it before. Plus it'd be easy to see when they are getting dirty and need a cleaning. During Petco's $1/g sales they'd be a reasonable price too.

I was just going to cut some acrylic lids for them. I run across 55 gallon tanks on craigslist all the time.

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping this question is in line enough and not a hi-jack...

I'm just finishing our mixing station. We used (2) 55g plastic barrels with a single pump (Jebao DCT4000). To plumb the barrels, I used 1" slip to slip bulkhead fittings. In the base of the RO/DI barrel, the bottom 1-2" of unusable water is no big deal because it will be constantly replenished and it's RO/DI water. However, in the bottom of the salt barrel, the remaining 1-2" of unusable salt water will likely be fouled within the 2-4 week interval between water changes. How do you guys handle that?

Thanks in advance. M

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a down turned 90deg elbow on the inside to get as much off the bottom as possible, but in the end you will need to clean the mixing tank once in a while. Mine is easy to disconnect (via unions) and remove for a cleaning. In between full cleanings you could just flush out the bottom with straight RO water.

Salt1972

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a down turned 90deg elbow on the inside to get as much off the bottom as possible, but in the end you will need to clean the mixing tank once in a while. Mine is easy to disconnect (via unions) and remove for a cleaning. In between full cleanings you could just flush out the bottom with straight RO water.

I like the 90 degree fitting idea. That will certainly minimize the left over water... now, getting in that barrel should be funny. I didn't use unions to remove the barrel and it's upright. I spare you any pics. Thanks again.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went ahead and added unions so I can break it down and clean it too. Took like 5 min to do.

I don't worry about the remaining salt. It will just get remixed next month when I do another change. It's not enough to hurt anything. I make a new batch and let my salt mix the night before I do a water change.

20171113_125906.jpg

Last edited:

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping this question is in line enough and not a hi-jack...

I'm just finishing our mixing station. We used (2) 55g plastic barrels with a single pump (Jebao DCT4000). To plumb the barrels, I used 1" slip to slip bulkhead fittings. In the base of the RO/DI barrel, the bottom 1-2" of unusable water is no big deal because it will be constantly replenished and it's RO/DI water. However, in the bottom of the salt barrel, the remaining 1-2" of unusable salt water will likely be fouled within the 2-4 week interval between water changes. How do you guys handle that?

Thanks in advance. M

Shop vac if I'm just trying to get the water out. I have everything plumbed with unions if I need to take the tank out for a thorough cleaning. With a weekly water change, though. I very rarely worry about the last inch or two and to tell the truth, I normally mix aother batch right away just so I have salt water on hand.

mamgm2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 30 gallon tank with an ATO from my RO system, then another ATO to my DT. Works well foe me

Mark Derail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest Rubbermaid tubs from Walmart, work well. Holds about 30g. When empty are very light - the main reason I use them instead of an aquarium.
I recently got 4 white tubs of 45g Naturalyte H-320 from a local person that I assume works at a hospital.
Naturalyte H-320 consists of Acetic Acid, Calcium Chloride, Dextrose, Magnesium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Chloride.

I've rinsed them twice, and let regular water sit in them for over a week, another rinse. Going to link two together for storing RODI water, one as a spare for making live rocks or live rock QT.
The last one will be for mixing SW from the two RODIs.

My biggest issue is heat - or lack thereof. The room tempature in the basement where the RODI will sit is between 45-50f (near 10c).
So will have to make 24hr-48hr ahead of time.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no reason I can think of why you cannot use aquariums for water storage / mixing. Lids would be needed for the reason stated above.

I wanted portability on my double 55 gallon barrels. They are each on heavy duty dollies and not even connected. Fresh water can be quickly transferred to the salt mixing barrel or to containers. Pumps are in the bottom of both barrels. The salt barrel has a recirculating loop set up on a timer to keep water mixed and adds a little warmth to the water. I can easily move either barrel for whatever reason, without disconnecting anything, except the pump power cord.

Barrels-small.jpg

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be tying these together! I still need to make just a few adjustments,. I need to install another Cepex Ball Valve right before the Sch 80 90 elbow, dont ask me why I forgot.lol
Also, I am going to run my RODI system with quick connect TEE so I can fill either storage container up like @Daltrey ! Pretty much the same set up, but mine will be fully automated with my ProfiLux4 controller and my GHL MAXI Dosing pump for the AWC's!

IMG_6298.JPG

IMG_6297.JPG

Back