Mixing wrasses

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now when it comes to mixing wrasses, I'm pretty confident about what I'm doing with the smaller species like fairies, flashers, leopards, smaller Halichoeres etc. But I'm planning my 180 gallon (which will get upgraded as well as these fish grow), and trying to decide what wrasses I can put together. These are what I was looking at.

Current wrasse:
Cheilinus lunulatus (Broomtail Wrasse)

Considering:
Labroides dimidiatus (Blue Cleaner Wrasse)
Coris gaimardi (Red Coris Wrasse)
Halichoeres melanurus (Melanurus Wrasse)
Halichoeres bivittatus (Slippery **** Wrasse)
Choerodon anchorago (Anchor Tuskfish)
Gomphosus varius (Bird Wrasse)
Thalassoma bifasciatum (Blue Head Wrasse)
Bodianus mesothorax (Coral Hogfish)
Bodianus rufus (Spanish Hogfish)

Obviously not putting all of these in there. Current plan was to put 2-3 of these, plus the cleaner wrasse in the 180. Also considering adding a sixline wrasse, as it won't have any little guys to bully in here. What are y'alls thoughts?

My wife really likes the bluehead, spanish hog, and Slippery **** if y'all think those would go well with the broomtail? Maybe add the melanurus and the sixline as well while the others are still small?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now when it comes to mixing wrasses, I'm pretty confident about what I'm doing with the smaller species like fairies, flashers, leopards, smaller Halichoeres etc. But I'm planning my 180 gallon (which will get upgraded as well as these fish grow), and trying to decide what wrasses I can put together. These are what I was looking at.

Current wrasse:
Cheilinus lunulatus (Broomtail Wrasse)

Considering:
Labroides dimidiatus (Blue Cleaner Wrasse)
Coris gaimardi (Red Coris Wrasse)
Halichoeres melanurus (Melanurus Wrasse)
Halichoeres bivittatus (Slippery **** Wrasse)
Choerodon anchorago (Anchor Tuskfish)
Gomphosus varius (Bird Wrasse)
Thalassoma bifasciatum (Blue Head Wrasse)
Bodianus mesothorax (Coral Hogfish)
Bodianus rufus (Spanish Hogfish)

Obviously not putting all of these in there. Current plan was to put 2-3 of these, plus the cleaner wrasse in the 180. Also considering adding a sixline wrasse, as it won't have any little guys to bully in here. What are y'alls thoughts?

My wife really likes the bluehead, spanish hog, and Slippery **** if y'all think those would go well with the broomtail? Maybe add the melanurus and the sixline as well while the others are still small?
In a tank with an already aggressive wrasse, ideally you’d want to stick to wrasses around the same aggression. I’d personally go for;
- Gomphosus varius (Or caeruleus)
- Halichoeres bivittatus
- Bodianus ruffus (Or mesothorax)
I’d also possibly add Choerodon anchorago however I do prefer a slightly more stocked tank.

The above comment mentions the smaller wrasses, and these mainly have a different aggression level to the larger wrasses. The larger ones are best to be added around the same time. This is heavily due to how aggressive they can actually be. The only notoriously aggressive wrasse that blaxsun owns is a Sixline.

Now, mixing larger guys and smaller guys is relatively similar in which the signs will become clear on if these fish will get along very quickly. The biggest thing with Larger wrasses and their aggression, is going for ones that aren’t in the same genus. In a 180, this is even more so important as there’s not a huge amount of room for the aggression of two aggressive species from the same genus.

OP
OP
Fishfreak2009

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a tank with an already aggressive wrasse, ideally you’d want to stick to wrasses around the same aggression. I’d personally go for;
- Gomphosus varius (Or caeruleus)
- Halichoeres bivittatus
- Bodianus ruffus (Or mesothorax)
I’d also possibly add Choerodon anchorago however I do prefer a slightly more stocked tank.

The above comment mentions the smaller wrasses, and these mainly have a different aggression level to the larger wrasses. The larger ones are best to be added around the same time. This is heavily due to how aggressive they can actually be. The only notoriously aggressive wrasse that blaxsun owns is a Sixline.

Now, mixing larger guys and smaller guys is relatively similar in which the signs will become clear on if these fish will get along very quickly. The biggest thing with Larger wrasses and their aggression, is going for ones that aren’t in the same genus. In a 180, this is even more so important as there’s not a huge amount of room for the aggression of two aggressive species from the same genus.
Pretty much exactly what I was thinking! Thank you for confirming my thoughts!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 59 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back