Mobius woes, Alternatives?

Piker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the timing was great for my build and mobius and went all in. I've purchased two xr15 radeon pros, a vectra m2, and 2 mp40s all mobius ready.

Set up was easy, I chose ab+ for the lighting, set a 9 hour interval so that the lights were on at a time for me to see the fish... 55% constant speed for my vectra, chose reef crest followed a full nutrient export cycle followed by lagoon at night for my flow.

That was two months ago. Since then I've had a left mp40 thats as likely to disconnect from my system and run at less than 1% until I unplug it for 30 seconds after every time I hit feed mode, as it is to resume.

The vectra and other random components disconnect as well and run at whatever default is. During driver updates some components need to be removed from the system in order to work.

And most recently, right now, my tank is sitting with lights off, and all but the vectra and 1 mp40 disconnected to the system after resuming power after my weekly water change.

Support is only available during business hours, asks me to repeat steps of powering down, factory resetting devices and asks for video evidence of my issues before taking further action. Which I will follow, only to go home and try it (as they close at 5) and have the same conversation 3 days later when it happens again.

After a requesting I make another video and telling me yet again to restart my device, my case was closed. I left a negative response to their inquiry (I mean... my issues weren't resolved, and they keep putting off replacing any units, and well... they asked if my issue was solved). Since then, about a week ago, they have stopped replying to my email thread.

I've rearranged my entire living room because the support staff suggested a router may be the issue... so I moved that and any speakers 10ft plus away, I've turned down my router signal to 50%. I'm of course open to any suggestions.

Anyway, since I can't get the thousands I've given to ecotech back, and I hear that the apex can not control these units... does anyone have a recommendation for how to control my hardware reliably? I believe they can be downgraded to work with ecosmart, is that any more reliable? Is anyone having a positive experience with mobius?

I've typed this from my phone so I apologize if it's a bit of a difficult read.

Last edited:

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, that really sucks. I don’t really have a good answer, unfortunately. I have almost the exact same setup as you (no vectra, but was planning to get one). I had issues updating MP40s which I resolved by updating one while the other was unplugged, and occasionally one of my XR15s will turn off at night before the other one does despite calibrating both multiple times.

That being said, I don’t have the issues you have with things having a mind of their own. I hope you get things figured out because this is definitely way too much of an investment to be able to up and replace with new gear.

OP
OP
Piker

Piker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, that really sucks. I don’t really have a good answer, unfortunately. I have almost the exact same setup as you (no vectra, but was planning to get one). I had issues updating MP40s which I resolved by updating one while the other was unplugged, and occasionally one of my XR15s will turn off at night before the other one does despite calibrating both multiple times.

That being said, I don’t have the issues you have with things having a mind of their own. I hope you get things figured out because this is definitely way too much of an investment to be able to up and replace with new gear.

Thanks, the level of frustration i have right now cycling power to components one at a time, and trying to get them to register to the point I can remove every component and set up the system from scratch is quite high. My poor fish are dealing with darkness and irradic flow as i have to tinker with this top tier aquarium equipment. I don't even know where to go from here with support as its pretty much every piece of equipment on my system with an issue.

OP
OP
Piker

Piker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an update, regarding today's issues, I've removed each component from my system and have started re-assigning my components. Mobius is identifying my Vortech return pump as an XR30 (a light) and has started updating it's drivers as such not sure if this has anything to do with today's issue or not. I stopped it and am going to try to factory reset manually. Anyway, I know this has been kind of a rant, but I'm still looking for suggestions for alternate ways to control my equipment.

Vortech.jpg

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have all the stuff you do but the only way I have found to get my 4 Vortechs to work reliably is if I put a simple program. One like I ran before Mobius. A master of one mode and then the slave stays synced to it.
If I programmed 2 modes on the master I ended up having to repower them once a day to get them to resync.
The only thing it saves you is digging out the driver and fooling with the buttons.

Conchman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I am noticing is they people who are having the issues with Mobius, everyone is running it on a phone. I am running thru an IPAD. zero issues. Nothing changing, turning off, switching settings, nothing. Not saying this is the cure, just an observation.

OP
OP
Piker

Piker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I am noticing is they people who are having the issues with Mobius, everyone is running it on a phone. I am running thru an IPAD. zero issues. Nothing changing, turning off, switching settings, nothing. Not saying this is the cure, just an observation.
I don't have an iPad but I have tried mobius on an android phone, an iPhone and my galaxy tablet exclusively for a few days each with no changes. Thanks though!

OP
OP
Piker

Piker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I've found my issue being either dish network and its hopper or my android TV. When these are both turned off (one is 20 ft away and the remote hopper about 70). When off mobius is being super responsive.

Edit: I take this back, now my vectra won't connect again lol. I need to walk away.

Last edited:

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then it sounds like a network issue. If you can give priority settings in your router see if that helps or possibly switch channels to a less crowded channel.

OP
OP
Piker

Piker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then it sounds like a network issue. If you can give priority settings in your router see if that helps or possibly switch channels to a less crowded channel.
They don't connect to the network, they connect to each other and your phone or tablet via Bluetooth.

I've turned my router down and moved it. Regardless, its not working again even with all of the other electronics in my house off. I jumped the gun because I had a moment of responsiveness.

Currently, as I was setting the system up, two devices are not connecting, one of my xr15s and my vectra.

They need to get back to apex support, this is ridiculous, 3 hours of my Sunday because I did a water change!

mav3rick478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.novelbits.io/basics-bluetooth-low-energy/ this is interesting, BTLE runs on the 2.4ghz but it's affected by a lot of physical factors compared to wifi at the same frequency. Also the mixing of bluetooth version of hardware changes the data rate which I can see being a serious problem depending on the type of chipset in each piece of equipment including your phone or tablet. It probably would've been better to use a centralized device to handle communicating to all the devices so that you have a Master device that holds all the settings because I can see if any of the devices gets confused because of interference or older chipsets all hell could break loose. That's probably what's happening here is there is no actual connection established and so each device is sending out the signal but no one wants to be the Master.

OP
OP
Piker

Piker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.novelbits.io/basics-bluetooth-low-energy/ this is interesting, BTLE runs on the 2.4ghz but it's affected by a lot of physical factors compared to wifi at the same frequency. Also the mixing of bluetooth version of hardware changes the data rate which I can see being a serious problem depending on the type of chipset in each piece of equipment including your phone or tablet. It probably would've been better to use a centralized device to handle communicating to all the devices so that you have a Master device that holds all the settings because I can see if any of the devices gets confused because of interference or older chipsets all hell could break loose. That's probably what's happening here is there is no actual connection established and so each device is sending out the signal but no one wants to be the Master.

Interesting, and agreed, a centralized device would have been a good route. Also, I am legitimately seeing better response times using the app as well as less errors with dish network completely removed. I removed and re-added all components again, and have even gotten permission from the wife to switch to all digital cable if the system remains more stable.

SPitts6654

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty disappointed with Mobius as well, I’ve been having problems with my XR15s and MP40s either not being able to connect or not taking setting updates. Two day’s after I submit a ticket they tell me to power down, reboot, reset Bluetooth, etc. The last time I told them that I hope they’re doing something to fix this, because this isn’t acceptable, got crickets for a response.

I feel like they got in over their heads with Mobius, but had to release it because the XRs need it to function and they needed to get the XRs to market, even though it still seems to be Beta at best.

Shanet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Radion XR30 Pro's, 2 Vortech 40MQD and 1 Vectra L2 running on Mobius and have had no issues whatever. I may just be lucky, they are run via an Android phone.
An alterative way to control them is to use Ecosmart via a Reeflink. To do this you need to downgrade the firmware (instructions here), then you have wireless control and access worldwide not just local like Mobius. I used to control all my gear via Reeflink and had no issues whatever but some others did, just luck of the draw I suppose. If I encounter problems I will convert them to Reeflink control but I only need local control so I will stay with Mobius for the moment.

OP
OP
Piker

Piker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty disappointed with Mobius as well, I’ve been having problems with my XR15s and MP40s either not being able to connect or not taking setting updates. Two day’s after I submit a ticket they tell me to power down, reboot, reset Bluetooth, etc. The last time I told them that I hope they’re doing something to fix this, because this isn’t acceptable, got crickets for a response.

I feel like they got in over their heads with Mobius, but had to release it because the XRs need it to function and they needed to get the XRs to market, even though it still seems to be Beta at best.
Nice to know I'm not alone, both in the lack of support and bad experience. I agree fully, these shouldn't be so difficult and certainly feel beta... I mean I'm switching TV service in an attempt to keep mine stable. We'll see how it works.

OP
OP
Piker

Piker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 Radion XR30 Pro's, 2 Vortech 40MQD and 1 Vectra L2 running on Mobius and have had no issues whatever. I may just be lucky, they are run via an Android phone.
An alterative way to control them is to use Ecosmart via a Reeflink. To do this you need to downgrade the firmware (instructions here), then you have wireless control and access worldwide not just local like Mobius. I used to control all my gear via Reeflink and had no issues whatever but some others did, just luck of the draw I suppose. If I encounter problems I will convert them to Reeflink control but I only need local control so I will stay with Mobius for the moment.

I'm glad it's been working for you! If removing dish doesn't prove successful, I'll certainly try reeflink.

OP
OP
Piker

Piker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are correct spitts. So if I switch it'll be timers likely.

Ecotech seems genuinely interested in the whole dish network issue, has asked for model details so they can research it, and has been responsive today. It really has been a different experience, responsive and fast.

If things keep working I may even be happy with my purchase lol.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the same type of problems. Sometimes I open the App and everything is fine sometimes everything is messed up. As I was reading this I opened the App. Every time I call them I get the same crap as you.

Screenshot 2020-10-26 at 6.55.58 PM.jpg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 61.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 42 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 65 27.2%
Back