OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rev, Sorry the last weeks have been really busy. Working 7 days a week doesnt leave a lot of extra fish time. Ill get some up to date pictures here with a real camera here in a couple days.

ill see how things do. I am seriously thinking about putting in a sump. Not sure how I would go about it yet. but ill post here when I figure it out...lol.
But the lights are doing well. I actually got to look at the tank with the lights on today and I like the upgrade. I had a lot more to do than most as it was a retro in a stock hood. Building a simple fixture would take no time at all.

Thanks again.
Mojo~

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks Jon, Tried to take some pics tonight but the camera doesnt want to read the memory card when I put it in. hmmm. have to get this figured out. it only holds 4 pictures at full rez otherwise. lol.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok got teh camera figured out. I had a bad sd card.

well here are the new pics.
better pics of the timer
P1020762.jpg

P1020763.jpg

lights off
P1020764.jpg

P1020766.jpg

and some actinic shots
P1020776.jpg

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is doing pretty well under the leds. I cant complain. The acros that are in the tank are getting color back in them and everything else seems to be doing well too.

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything is doing pretty well under the leds. I cant complain. The acros that are in the tank are getting color back in them and everything else seems to be doing well too.

Sweet...

Nice build BTW

Bill

clownfishheaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi mojo, great thread. I've been researching up on DIY LED for awhile but haven't done anything because I am a novice DIYer with no electronic skills. Your guide is easy to understand and the pictorials help a lot. I have an RSM too and would like to try my hand on replicating what you've done here. I have a few questions but first of all is it doable for an electronic-challenged person?

If so here are my questions:

1) Looking at the kit you link to on reefledlights.com, I don't see the wires. So I assume I'd have to get wires, but how long and what kind?

2) How did you fit the heat sink and secure it in the reflector area?

3) Once the stock lights are taken out, does the timer on the hood control only the fans?

4) Do I plug the both strips on timers once the mod is done or is it possible to wire one of both strips to the stock timer?

5) In the later build you wired each strip to a timer, do you mind sharing how that's done?

That's all I can think of right now. Now I am trying to gain the basic knowledge. I am sure I'll run into issues when I actually attempt this. Thanks.

jstuver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes an update would be great! I have a RSM and am thinking of doing this(well having my hubby do it) :) Would love to know how things are growing. I only have softies and LPS so I think this would work great.

OP
OP
mojo

mojo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my buddy here local bought this tank as I had to go bigger. Ill ask him tomorrow how things are going. last I knew he loved the shimmer and all was doing well.

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mojo

Everything is boxed will ship tomorrow AM. Please post pics and details as most of our DIY retro kits are for larger canopies or as a stand alone fixture.

Bill
Mojo are you by chance in Par Ridge Il? If you are your in my stomping ground

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back