Mollies for algae control

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used them to cycle a 55g once before. Very easy to Ac them. I put them in a bucket with a airstone and about every half hour added a couple quarts of tank water for a few hours, then dropped them in. they raise pretty fast also. I started with 5. 4 females 1 male. in about 4 months had 18. Ac them back to fresh and gave back to my pet store. the females would have around 6-10 babys at a time

epidemic

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I went out and purchased 3 silver mollies from Petsmart ( 1 male 2 females). I use to work at a Petsmart so I know that for the most part their stock is pretty healthy.

After a shorter than normal acclimation process (2hrs), I introduced them to my tank. At first 1 took to the tank well with the other in a bit of shock, and the third just dazed (male).

After 30 minutes I turned my actinic lights on to let them get a view of the tank and they all seem to be doing well. They are all swimming together and the male is picking at the rocks, glass, and sand for food. I hope things turn out well but I'll update everyone in the morning. Gotta love a $2 reef cleaner!

Cleaner? Just wait! once they have been eating they will ALWAYS have poop hanging from them, rather unsightly

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my mollies.

I woke up this morning to find one of the mollies stuck to the side of my MJ but still alive. I turned of the powerhead and the fish dropped to the sand and rolled into my anemone. Ohh well, I haven't fed my anemone in some time. That left me with 2, a male and a female. So I went out to Petco and purchased 2 more females. Acclimated them for 2 hours and introduced them into the tank. So far so good. They are going all over the tank and picking at just about everything that grows algae. I'm not sure how good of a job they will do on algae but it is too early to tell.

The one thing I do know is that my pygmy angel is having a fun time hanging out and chasing them around. At least he is leaving my female clown alone.

OP
OP
Chelsey

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a single female molly today...she's orange with a little bit of black. The LFS I bought her from had a bunch of mollies in a saltwater tank and they've been there for a while, so I know she's used to the salinity. She picked on the algae at the bottom of the glass (near the sandbed) when I first put her in but now she seems kinda useless :p Hopefully she'll get hungry and go to work on the algae!

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a single female molly today...she's orange with a little bit of black. The LFS I bought her from had a bunch of mollies in a saltwater tank and they've been there for a while, so I know she's used to the salinity. She picked on the algae at the bottom of the glass (near the sandbed) when I first put her in but now she seems kinda useless :p Hopefully she'll get hungry and go to work on the algae!

wow.. congrats Chelsey.. :)

OP
OP
Chelsey

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope she does what she's supposed to :D The bf got one for his tank too...she's in my sump right now and will go home with him today. She should have plenty to eat as the Zeovit he dosed caused some algae problems ;) :D (I'm sure he'll appreciate me telling you all that)

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update on the FW converts. My 4 mollies are doing great and they are very friendly. They do a great job keeping my MaxiJets clean as well as my arm when I put it into the tank.

I am also proud to announce that one of my females just had babies. I found 4 little mollies in my overflow (where my mag3 pumps water up to my Remora). Luckily for them there were caught and placed into my refugium (not yet connected to my system). I hope these little guys survive and can continue to breed. It would be awsome to have a few generations of purely SW mollies.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you mine didn't eat squat and my clowns eventully stressed the male to death so I removed the female and she is in my nano doing squat about the algae there too.....I guess the orange sailfins don't work like the rest...Or I got lazy ones.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I acclimated my sailfin for almost 7 hours. He is doing great and all the fish get along with him. As far as algae goes, he doesn't seem to care about that stuff, which is the reason I got him.

vetteman

licking zoa's
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dalmation molly and all he does is follow a yellow damsel around like he's in love..... and wait's to be fed like everyone else.... and he eat's the tangs nori in the feeding clip too....

ficklefins

Super Duper Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what types of algae they eat, I guess film algae? The kind that grow on powerheads, rocks and glass. My favorite part about these little guys is that they filter the sand! That is always a nice touch.

Right now I have two silver mollies and two orange/black mollies. No males.

Last edited:

redsonja

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept and bred mollies in brackish tanks before, I know the "creamsicle" variety eat algae in BW like there's no tomorrow. We've had some red slime issues in our 100g stock tank lately since one pump went on the fritz, and waiting for replacement impeller. Maybe I'll run out to PetCo and get a few mollies and try it. Will report back and most likely have pictures cause I take pictures of all fishtank-related stuff.

-Sonja

Pufferpunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally broke down a coupla months ago & got a few for my BW tank. Just really got tired of cleaning all the long strands of hair algae off everything. They are doing a great job & I toss the babies into my Frogfish tank. I didn't acclimate them to the 1.005 BW tank.

redsonja

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought two silver lyretail mollies at Petco this evening, a male and a female. The female is already "showing" pregnant. I hung the bag in the sump of the 100g rubbermaid stock tank and dripped them 1 drop per second for five hours. They never looked the least bit stressed. When the bag salinity matched the stock tank at 35ppt I turned them loose in the tank. They just started nosing around and exploring, I couldn't tell if they were eating anything yet because I waited til lights-out to put them in but so far, so good. Sorry but no pictures yet as all there was to see was a bag hanging in the sump with a drip line going to it. I picked silver mollies in hopes they'll be easier to see though, since it's a top-down view tank by necessity. Hopefully get some pictures tomorrow.

-Sonja the insomniac

Back